This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Toni Bentley reviews new biography of Casanova

Casanova was no Don Juan. For one thing, he was real. For another, he really loved women, as an earlier biography stated in its subtitle. Of this one, "Casanova: Actor Lover, Priest, Spy,"by Ian Kelly, Bentley writes, "One feels the force of the sheer energy of this man -- as did perhaps his lovers -- catapulting him through history and onto our doorstep. I, for one, will invite him in."

The episode with his daughter is well-known, I remember it well from the Memoirs, which I read 10 or 15 years ago. Thanks for pointing this out, Farrell Fan, I wouldn't have seen it. It is full of the usual Bentley-style howlers, even more embarassing than usual (his 'oversize tale' is particularly de rigueur, one supposes, although it comes as little surprise as the faux-ponderous 'I, for one, will invite him in'....who could have ever guessed, eh?--although she could hardly outdo her Movedo Watch ad description with poor Darci). I can suppose only that she has become a sort of cult. Subtlety, move over! fuggedabouteet :sweatingbullets: