• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 01:47 PM

Here's a report on the current run of Raymonda from France 2 evening news. Skip ahead to 33 minutes past the hour. There are brief comments from Marie-Agnès Gillot and Nicolas Le Riche. I understand that the Gillot/Martinez/Le Riche cast is going to be filmed for television.

http://jt.france2.fr...;timeStamp=1978

These are the bits that are always edited out of the 30-minute newscasts I get on TV5 in my neck of the woods. :)

Also, a report from TF1:
http://tf1.lci.fr/in...-de-paris-.html

P.S. Because the ostrich-feather thing never gets old, here's an interview with Zizi Jeanmaire that aired yesterday:
http://tf1.lci.fr/in...souvenirs-.html

#2 richard53dog

richard53dog

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 04:11 PM

Here's a report on the current run of Raymonda from France 2 evening news. Skip ahead to 33 minutes past the hour. There are brief comments from Marie-Agnès Gillot and Nicolas Le Riche. I understand that the Gillot/Martinez/Le Riche cast is going to be filmed for television.

I'm glad this is being filmed. I love the look of this production, based on what I've seen already on video; the clips on the Dancer's Dream Raymonda video
as well as the fuzzy copy I have of the old TV film of Noelle Pontois and Nureyev. It seems very warm and rich to me and the Saracens really seem exotic
rather than just stagy looking.

#3 cinnamonswirl

cinnamonswirl

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 08:11 PM

Oh no, no, no! Gillot is all wrong for Raymonda. Why don't they tape Aurélie Dupont?

I suppose we should just be glad that it's finally being taped.

#4 whetherwax

whetherwax

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 10:18 PM

Taped for television! Does this mean that there will be a DVD for those who cannot get french TV?? OH Please.

#5 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 03:13 AM

Finally, a film of the sumptuous POB-Nureyev RAYMONDA! If the pattern of recent years holds true, then we should have a commercially-released DVD in the coming months. The recently-released CINDERELLA was filmed in April of this year...so in about 8-9 months, we may have a RAYMONDA.

How ironic that most American balletomanes who do not reside in NYC know the current dancers of POB and the Royal Ballet a lot better than they do the dancers of NYCB and ABT, America's two 'international-stature' companies! When was the last time that either of America's own two top ballet troupes released a commercial DVD? Anything since ABT's SWAN LAKE four years ago? When was the last commercial DVD released by NYCB...NUTCRACKER, 15 years ago? Even the Kirov-Mariinsky and Bolshoi have had more releases of DVDs in the past 3-4 years. And folks wonder why the audiences in America are greying and disappearing.

#6 papeetepatrick

papeetepatrick

Sapphire Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 09:53 AM

How ironic that most American balletomanes who do not reside in NYC know the current dancers of POB and the Royal Ballet a lot better than they do the dancers of NYCB and ABT, America's two 'international-stature' companies! When was the last time that either of America's own two top ballet troupes released a commercial DVD? Anything since ABT's SWAN LAKE four years ago? When was the last commercial DVD released by NYCB...NUTCRACKER, 15 years ago? Even the Kirov-Mariinsky and Bolshoi have had more releases of DVDs in the past 3-4 years. And folks wonder why the audiences in America are greying and disappearing.

That IS a good point, and one we all should have noticed. And that Swan Lake wasn't exactly the most indispensible item anyway, I'd have been as happy with nothing at all. But I hadn't realized that NYCB hadn't done any DVD in 15 years. Now I notice we are always looking for some new DVD from POB, and I, for one, keep wanting them to come to the U.S. and do Wuthering Heights, but it seems like they won't, and anyway, won't do Wuthering Heights. But it's been recorded, I believe azulynn said this, for French TV and so might eventually get DVD status.

#7 cygneblanc

cygneblanc

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 11:04 AM

I can confirm it is recorded with Marie Agnes Gillot and José Martinez. It will be broadcasted by french tv on december 25 th and a dvd will be issued later.

#8 Rosa

Rosa

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 02:44 PM

The recently-released CINDERELLA was filmed in April of this year...so in about 8-9 months, we may have a RAYMONDA.

Actually Cinderella was filmed in April of 2007. So a possible DVD of Raymonda would likely arrive in about a year -- in the USA at least.

#9 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 03:22 PM

The Paris Opera has posted an excerpt with Gillot and Martinez on its web site. Judging by this, I'm glad that this cast is being filmed, because what's lacking on DVD is a great Jean de Brienne, and Martinez may be it.

http://www.operadepa...0...768&IdS=549

#10 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 12:22 PM

Behind-the-scenes goodies on the broadcast of Raymonda

http://culturebox.france3.fr/raymonda

#11 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 08:48 PM

The France 2 link up top no longer leads to the Raymonda report, but you can still pull it up here.

#12 toeprints

toeprints

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:12 PM

"Raymonda" will be shown on France 3 on Christmas Day, according to the Nureyev.Org newsletter, in honor of Rudolf Nureyev. They included a link to click onto, which provided information, video clips, as well as info regarding the December 19 program honoring Rudolf - however, everything is written in French:

http://culturebox.fr...3.fr/#/raymonda

#13 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 01:15 PM

If you haven't visited it lately, check out the 'culturebox' for Raymonda. New clips are being added, and I counted 16 in total today.

#14 Rosa

Rosa

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 07:42 PM

Those clips are wonderful, giving us a few glimpses of what goes on behind the scenes at the ballet. I particularly liked the clip of Gillot and Martinez rehearsing and viewing footage of Nureyev.

I am looking forward to the DVD. :yahoo:

#15 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 09:34 PM

I am looking forward to the DVD. :yahoo:

Indeed, so am I.

Though I hope that someday the 1983 performance will be re-issued as well. By then Nureyev was certainly past his prime, but think of the rest of the cast: Noëlla Pontois as Raymonda, Manuel Legris and Laurent Hilaire as Bernard and Béranger, Monique Loudières as Clémence, Claude de Vulpian (!) as Henriette, Jean Guizerix (!!) as Abderam, Yvette Chauviré (!!!) as the Countess, plus Isabelle Guérin and Frédéric Olivieri in the Saracen dance, Françoise Legrée and Patrick Dupond in the Spanish dance and Marie-Claude Pietragalla and Fabrice Bourgeois in the Csardas. Talk about luxury casting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):