This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Autumn 2008 Danceview

kfw

The cover of the Autumn 2008 issue of DanceView features a photo of Natalia Osipova in the Bolshoi Ballet's revival/reinvention of "Flames of Paris." Osipova's wild-eyed Jeanne holds the Tricolor as she herself is held aloft (twirled about?) by the mixed crowd. Marc Haegeman's long article on the history of this ballet and this current production is for me one highlight of the issue. Another is Michael Popkin's long consideration of Edwin Denby, illustrated by a photo portrait of the critic, white-haired, white-bearded and eyes closed against a backdrop of bedding. Also in this issue, Denise Sum, who I don't remember reading here before, reviews the National Ballet of Canada's 2007-2008 season, and Mary Cargill interviews ABT's Craig Salstein.

This issue also has an expansive season review of ABT at the Met by Carol Pardo, and "reports" from New York, London, and San Francisco by Gay Morris, Jane Simpson and Rita Felciano respectively. I love the way DanceView gives writers the space to write at length and in depth, and illustrates each piece with large black and white photos.

DanceView is the print sister of danceviewtimes, and subscriptions are a great way to support that online magazine and Ballet Talk, both founded by Alexandra Tomalonis.