This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Alina Somova

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
216 replies to this topic

#1 kirovboy

kirovboy

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 10:02 PM

Once I started my professional career, I decided I wouldn't post here anymore to avoid causing any commotion, but Im breaking my six year silence tonight because I am too intrigued about some comments I saw on another post. So, as we all know Alina Somova was promoted to principal today. There seems to be some frustration with this and I am curious why. I watched a few videos of her on youtube and found that she is extremely flexible (to a distasteful degree) and she is also a bit clumsy, but she otherwise seemed like a capable dancer. Could those who are not a fan of this dancer explain to me why they feel that she shouldn't be promoted. Also, why is she called the "accidental" ballerina? I look forward to hearing your opinions.

#2 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 10:33 PM

I can speak only for myself here, kirovboy, but I think good taste and graceful movement are prerequisites to be a professional ballet dancer, even at lower ranks.

#3 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 03:12 AM

Kirovboy, you use the words distasteful and clumsy to describe Somova and you are quite right. In my book no one with those two qualities makes it onto a stage let alone be appointed a principal dancer.

#4 naomikage

naomikage

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 06:59 AM

Some of you Kirov fans may know that 2 wonderful DVD disks are released in Japan entitled "Uliana Lopatkina Variation Lessons" and "Diana Vishineva Variation Lessons" that shows the performances of those beautiful great ballerinas and speaks of their deep insight how they think about their acting and technique, and shows us how they rehearse.

A third disk will be released next January and it is, to my horror,
"Somova Tereshkina Variation Lesson"
http://www.hmv.co.jp.../detail/2817720

Oh, I think Viktoria Tereshkina is an academic, beautiful dancer but what shall we learn from Somova.

But it was not the worst thing happening.

As Vasiev will be artistic director of Teatro Alla Scala, his wife is following him to the Scala, but now Somova's coach is Tatiana Terekhova.

#5 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 07:06 AM

Somova's coach is Tatiana Terekhova.

that's good news!!!! :clapping:

#6 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 07:16 AM

Come next January at the Kennedy Center, we shall see if there is any marked difference in Somova's interpretation of Kitri. We truly shall see. And report. Maybe a miraculous improvement will take place between the recent California performances and the Kennedy Center. Miracles can happen in three months. :clapping:

#7 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,269 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 02:45 PM

...he,he...if there's something certain about this girl is that she's being carefully watched. Wow... :clapping:

#8 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 08:31 PM

Those in Toronto can go and watch her star in the Nutcracker with the Canadian Ballet Theatre:

Canadian Ballet Theatre Nutcracker

#9 atm711

atm711

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 02:58 AM

I am still not over her 'Ballet Imperial'... :)

#10 Sacto1654

Sacto1654

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 04:33 AM

...he,he...if there's something certain about this girl is that she's being carefully watched. Wow... :)

Maybe finally Somova will get a good coach to tone down her extreme moves and become a proper dancer for a change. I was hoping for Irina Chistyakova (Ulyana Lopatkina's current coach) because Somova has a body build akin to Lopatkina's but Terekhova as coach is probably the next best thing. :)

(By the way, an interesting tidbit: Terekhova and Chistyakova were both involved in that famous large-cast performance of Don Quixote that was filmed many years ago and is available on DVD from Kultur Films.)

#11 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:22 AM

I saw Alina Somova during the City Center run. I was really prepared to give her the benefit of the doubt, thinking she couldn't be as bad as everyone says. Well she wasn't ... she was worse. She has no elevation, so when she goes for a grande jete it looks like her legs are just flopping. She also can't really move, despite her ear-whacking. Her fouettes are very amateurish, her pirouettes insecure, and she also has adopted the Uliana Lopatkina way of holding her head so her chin juts out.

#12 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,321 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 01:57 PM

I thought she did some lovely adagio work in "Ballet Imperial" last April at City Center. I hope her new coach can work with that and get rid of the extensions.

I think the biggest challenge is the blank look she seemed to have midway through everything I saw her in last spring. I know that ballerinas don't have to be PhD's, but generally they have a clue, or are receptive enough to be given one by the best.

#13 drb

drb

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 02:37 PM

I saw Ms. Somova in quite a few performances last Spring at City Center. They ranged from as bad as people say to very, very promising. When I entered Somova Terekhova into that obvious video place, there was an 8 part set of Tatiana Terekhova teaching Alina and partner Fadeyev Don Quixote. This looks like big changes are around the corner for Ms. Somova. They also seem like nice people. Yet it is strange that an unfinished artist is promoted before the remarkable pair Obraztsova and "Big Red" Kondaurova. But then, as mentioned many times elsewhere on BT, Part and Reichlen are yet to be principals. It isn't only in Russia.

#14 Sacto1654

Sacto1654

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 08:02 PM

Yet it is strange that an unfinished artist is promoted before the remarkable pair Obraztsova and "Big Red" Kondaurova.

Given the triumphant debut of "Katya" Kondaurova as Odette/Odile just over two weeks ago, I think she will be next to possibly make the jump to possibly Principal dancer--with good reason: she is starting to take over a lot of the dancing roles that one Ulyana Lopatkina used to do a lot back in the 1990's. :) Besides, her flaming red hair (I saw a recent Kultura TV profile of her and wow, her hair color stands out very prominently! :o ) in my opinion is probably reminding a lot of old-time Russian balletomanes of the legendary Maya Plisetskaya, who was also a redhead during the height of her career in the 1950's.

#15 Fraildove

Fraildove

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 09:00 PM

I actually have the pleasure of knowing Alina on a personal level; she is a friend of my husbands, as well as a friend of mine. Even so, i have NEVER cared for her dancing, having had the extreme displeasure of seeing her Aurora in 2006, followed by her Odette/ Odile in 2007. It might strike everyone to know that she is actually quite shy when off the stage, quiet and extremely proper. What a contradiction to what she portrays on stage. Actually, if i had met her personally before seeing her dance, i would have bet money that she was on the conservative side (ignoring her 'lovely' fingernails...). I won’t pretend that we are best friends, but whenever she is in the states, we somehow always manage to get together for dinner, along with several other dancers. I really like her when she is not performing, and sadly we avoid watching her performances if we can help it. I hope for her sake that Terekhova will improve her judgement. I studied with Terekhova many years ago, and she was quite a force in the studio. I am cautiously optimistic of this pairing; imagining that this is just what Alina needs! I have my fingers crossed! :o

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):