#121 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,324 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:20 PM

Maybe this is slightly off topic but my blood pressure goes up when I hear:
university students being described as stakeholders

I like that better than students being described as consumers.

This thread has a therapeutic quality!

Yes, it does! I didn't follow from the beginning, which is why I've got a little cluster of replies here.

I don't mind regional variations, like the difference between standing in line in Seattle and standing on line in New York City. My particular grump is the redundant phrase "The reason is because ..." How about either "The reason is ..." or "It works this way because ..."

Ah, that was refreshing!

#122 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,324 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:30 PM

As I watch the ice rink that my street has become I'm reminded of another overused and irritating phrase used to describe slick road conditions, "It's a sheet of ice out there!".
I've lived off and on in the Midwest almost my entire life and have heard this phrase for as long as I can remember. Is this a uniquely Midwestern saying? East Coasters what do you say?

Perky,

In NJ we say:

"It's a sheet of ice out there !"

I guess it not such a regional saying! That being said, since just this morning we had "a sheet of ice out there" as part of our third winter storm in 5 days, I would guess that out in the midwest you deal with these "sheets of ice" better than the horrible drivers here in NJ do!

Holiday wishes (with no more ice!) to all

In Seattle we had sheets of ice out there for most of the holidays.

Which I suppose is better than having those sheets inside.

#123 Ray

Ray

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:33 PM

As I watch the ice rink that my street has become I'm reminded of another overused and irritating phrase used to describe slick road conditions, "It's a sheet of ice out there!".
I've lived off and on in the Midwest almost my entire life and have heard this phrase for as long as I can remember. Is this a uniquely Midwestern saying? East Coasters what do you say?

Perky,

In NJ we say:

"It's a sheet of ice out there !"

I guess it not such a regional saying! That being said, since just this morning we had "a sheet of ice out there" as part of our third winter storm in 5 days, I would guess that out in the midwest you deal with these "sheets of ice" better than the horrible drivers here in NJ do!

Holiday wishes (with no more ice!) to all

In Seattle we had sheets of ice out there for most of the holidays.

Which I suppose is better than having those sheets inside.

In Pittsburgh, where I used to live, they would say "It's slippy outside" (with "outside" pronounced "ahtside")

#124 papeetepatrick

papeetepatrick

Sapphire Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:46 PM

"Oh, sheet!" :o :)

Oh Merde!! :dunno:

"Ay, carajo! " :D

"Frickin'." Where did that come from, anyway? F------ + chicken? (Or is is "friggin'"?)

It's 'friggin', which I like very much and use often. That's actually old, but I noticed both 'frikkin' and 'freakin' beggining to crop up about mid-90's. I hear these a lot everywhere, in the subways or stores, and they're even written a lot on the internet.

Which reminds me, I don't really like any of the internet-born words and phrases that I can think of.

#125 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,324 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 03:22 PM

"Frickin'." Where did that come from, anyway? F------ + chicken? (Or is is "friggin'"?)

It's 'friggin', which I like very much and use often. That's actually old, but I noticed both 'frikkin' and 'freakin' beggining to crop up about mid-90's. I hear these a lot everywhere, in the subways or stores, and they're even written a lot on the internet.

Which reminds me, I don't really like any of the internet-born words and phrases that I can think of.

I hear both "frickin'" and "friggin'," as well as "fraking" (the last seems to have come from the television series Battlestar Galactica).

But I usually prefer the original.

#126 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 07:36 PM

The phrse -- or rather, word -- that's been getting on my nerves lately when I hear it on cable television news shows is "optics," as in, "What matters here are the optics." What's wrong with "stagecraft" or "photo op" or "appearance"? I wouldn't mind so much if the offenders weren't plenty well-educated enough to know the meaning of the word they're misusing.

#127 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 06:32 AM

kfw, I don't think I've heard this phrase. Are they also using it to replace what we might have called, a while ago, "visuals"?

#128 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:31 AM

kfw, I don't think I've heard this phrase. Are they also using it to replace what we might have called, a while ago, "visuals"?

Yes, it seems so.

#129 Ray

Ray

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:55 AM

A new buzzword: "smart power." I get it, but kinda icky.

#130 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,699 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:58 AM

"pleaded" for the past tense of "plead".

That color will just make this room POP! (from interior decorating shows).

as well as:

That color will give it a comfy feel (whatever happened to comfy feelings?).

sigh.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):