This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

NYCB Young Ones

Rock

Watch NYCB's Winter and Spring Seasons. Let's see if I'm wrong:

Kaitlyn Gilliland - move to soloist

Megan Johnson - major potential

Megan LeCrone - waiting for her...

Lydia Wellington - big potential

Sara Adams - big potential

Callie Bachman - ditto

Amy Barker - startling

Anthony Huxley - unbelievable. How to use him?

Russell Janzen - the partner

David Prottas - major potential

Troy Schumacher - underused

Chase Finlay - a no-brainer

Some of the above names being unfamiliar, I checked this week's mailing from NYCB vs their on-site list of dancers.

New since the mailing:

Megan Johnson

Lydia Wellington

New enough to still lack site biographies, but on both lists:

Darius Barnes

Zachary Catazaro

Cameron Dieck

Russell Janzen

Matthew Renko

Joshua Thew

No longer listed on site:

Max van der Sterre

Totals:

Principals--24

Soloists--17

Corps--60

Hopefully Adams, Bachman, Barker, Finlay from Rock's list will soon appear on-site.

People are always doing that, as if Dutch were exactly the same as German. In German, a "von" is often dropped. In Dutch, a "van" "van der" "ter", etc. is part of the name.

Not exactly. One side of my family is Dutch (from a small town about 45 minutes from Amsterdam. Lovely place too!).

In school, when they had to line up by last name, my grandmother was under "L" (in her case that was "Lith" although it was preceded by "van" -- always a small "v"). My cousin (my generation, but born and raised, part of the time, in the Netherlands), alphabetically, goes under "A" in Holland (for "Aa") but wound up being listed under "V" (for "van") or even "D" (for "der" -- both precede the "Aa" in her name) -- in America. And then there's the capitalization issue

-- both the "Van" and "Der" are capitalized here automatically although they should both be in small letters. We always get a kick out of how

the names get turned around here, and that includes the Dutch first names too (my son has a Dutch middle name and he gets a lot of comments on it, almost always including, "what a cool name").

For a real blast on Dutch usage, try Alte Hollands and you'll get some good laughs. As I work in New York History, I have to go after information which is in the "Old Dutch" which is about the same as trying to translate Shakespeare into Basic English. It's not easy. One time around 1909, as a part of the Henry Hudson Tercentenary, a New York businessman, whose family still spoke "New York Dutch", went to the Netherlands, and tried to get around using it. He would have starved if he hadn't switched to English. The townspeople tried to figure out what this funny gibberish was that he was spouting (It sounded Dutch, but it just...wasn't, you know?), and finally a very old man said, "Hey, I recognize that! That's the stuff we used to use in church when I was a little kid!"

The New York Dutch of about 1630 didn't often alphabetize, so I don't know how they dealt with it.

For a real blast on Dutch usage, try Alte Hollands and you'll get some good laughs. As I work in New York History, I have to go after information which is in the "Old Dutch" which is about the same as trying to translate Shakespeare into Basic English. It's not easy. One time around 1909, as a part of the Henry Hudson Tercentenary, a New York businessman, whose family still spoke "New York Dutch", went to the Netherlands, and tried to get around using it. He would have starved if he hadn't switched to English. The townspeople tried to figure out what this funny gibberish was that he was spouting (It sounded Dutch, but it just...wasn't, you know?), and finally a very old man said, "Hey, I recognize that! That's the stuff we used to use in church when I was a little kid!"

The New York Dutch of about 1630 didn't often alphabetize, so I don't know how they dealt with it.

How wonderful! I love this sort of thing. Thanks for this information!

And because I know we're off topic -- let me add that I've now tried to match the new NYCB corps members with their photos (on the NYCB website)

so I can keep an eye out for them (I did notice a few of them already as apprentices).

People are always doing that, as if Dutch were exactly the same as German. In German, a "von" is often dropped. In Dutch, a "van" "van der" "ter", etc. is part of the name.
Not exactly. One side of my family is Dutch (from a small town about 45 minutes from Amsterdam. Lovely place too!).

In school, when they had to line up by last name, my grandmother was under "L" (in her case that was "Lith" although it was preceded by "van" -- always a small "v"). My cousin (my generation, but born and raised, part of the time, in the Netherlands), alphabetically, goes under "A" in Holland (for "Aa") but wound up being listed under "V" (for "van") or even "D" (for "der" -- both precede the "Aa" in her name) -- in America. And then there's the capitalization issue

-- both the "Van" and "Der" are capitalized here automatically although they should both be in small letters. We always get a kick out of how the names get turned around here, and that includes the Dutch first names too (my son has a Dutch middle name and he gets a lot of comments on it, almost always including, "what a cool name").

Eons ago I worked for William J. vanden Heuvel, father of Nation editor Katrina. When a sentence in the newspaper appeared as "Vanden Heuvel went on to say . . . ," there was mild exasperation over the incorrectly capitalized "v". The issue wasn't whether or not the "vanden" was correct (to him it was) but that a name is a name, and if part of it is lower case, that takes precedence over starting a sentence with a capital letter.

Along similar lines, NYCB has listed Karin von Aroldingen and the d'Amboises under A.

To bring this a bit further around to the original topic, it has always been the classic way to spot rising talent at NYCB to do things the way New Amsterdam used to take a census. In all the New Netherlands in 1630, there were only about 300 people, and that counted New Amsterdam. What they did was list down one side of a street, and then back up the other side, and every so often, stick their heads out the window of the Company House to see if they had missed anybody, or just who is that stranger? If they did see somebody they didn't recognize, they asked their friends who that was. Go to a Nutcracker, and see who's in the corps. Even some minor soloists, like Columbine in Act I may be students from the school. They're the up-and-comers.

When will they promote the amazing Tess Reichlin to principal!

Yes, I thought surely she would be promoted this season. It is puzzling given the last couple of women promoted to principal. I'm not saying they aren't deserving, but certainly no more than Reichlin, IMHO

Tess should be a principal, Katie Morgan should be a soloist. Megan Johnson and Lydia Wellington just finished at SAB in June. I want to see Callie Bachman.

JIM

How much room is there at the top? Also, (and this may be more suitable to a separate topic) it seems that in casting Bouder is not cast as much as she should/could be. Mearns (who I love) seems to be the new darling. Would Bouder jump ship as Ansanelli did to join another co. How would she do in ABT? I'd love to see her in some ABT ballets but maybe her opportunities would be further diminished.

Again I apologize if this is the wrong place for a post like this.

Also, (and this may be more suitable to a separate topic) it seems that in casting Bouder is not cast as much as she should/could be. ........ Would Bouder jump ship as Ansanelli did to join another co.

I don't know how readily she would jump ship now that her long-time boyfriend has made it into the corps.