This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

For a Body Nobody Ever Had -- fashion and aesthetics

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16 Calliope

Calliope

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 12 December 2001 - 04:49 PM

I don't know, is it really a fact that women conformed to men's ideas?
Let's take the corset. I believe the ancestory of it dates back to the Greeks and it was used as a support to the weak muscles of women's lower backs when they carried things.
It transitioned primarily during Elizabethian times into more of a fashion. With women competing for a more cinched waist than that of her neighbor.

Heels, I think most women wear them to appear taller or have the calf look longer.
Maybe I missed the point of the posts, but I don't think you can overly blame one sex or another, but we women have certainly pushed for some of the fashion we now have.
If we talk about body image. That's a self issue. I know people think that if you look at a model, you want to be that thin, but I don't think that's overwhelmingly the case. That arguement is no different than violence in movies or video games. The views come from something far deeper inside a person's psyche. I'm getting a bit off course...

#17 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 12 December 2001 - 08:34 PM

And then, of course, there were the Men's Stays for 18th and 19th-century fine gentlemen to present the proper silhouette. They continued to wear them, if you consult old Sears catalogues well into the 1930s, and longer, gradually replacing the name "Men's girdle" with "back brace". wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):