This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Paris Opera Ballet in Brisbane next June

Curses. Because our State Government wouldnt cough up a measly million or so, Brisbane got the POB instead of Melboune - what were they thinking!!! we are the culture city!!!

So one would have to travel a long way to see them as well as paying for the tickets and finding accomodation, so I wonder if anyone might know who would be likely to be coming out to dance La Bayadere??I'll have to start having Lamington Drives to pay anyway, so knowing who might be dancing could make it worth while.

Curses. Because our State Government wouldnt cough up a measly million or so, Brisbane got the POB instead of Melboune - what were they thinking!!! we are the culture city!!!

So one would have to travel a long way to see them as well as paying for the tickets and finding accomodation, so I wonder if anyone might know who would be likely to be coming out to dance La Bayadere??I'll have to start having Lamington Drives to pay anyway, so knowing who might be dancing could make it worth while.

I would like to know the cast too! The only thing I found out was Dorothee Gilbert would be dancing in it according to her official website. But anyway I've already bought tix for 2 performances and I'm flying all the way from Hong Kong to watch it! So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that some of my favourite dancers will be dancing on those 2 nights! :wub:

Here is the pre-cast for Brisbane POB Bayadere posted on the French forum Dansomanie

La Bayadère 6/24~7/4

Nikiya : Dupont ou Letestu ou Osta ou Moussin ou Gillot, remp. Ciaravola

Solor : Le Riche ou Martinez ou Pech ou Hervé Moreau, remp. Paquette, Bullion

Gamzatti : Cozette ou Gilbert ou Daniel ou Romberg, remp. Bellet, Hecquet, Renavand

L'Idole dorée : Thibault ou Gaudion ou Isoart ou Kim, remp. Ibot, Marc Moreau

L'Esclave : Bullion ou Duquenne ou Paquette, remp. Magnenet, Saïz

Le Rajah : Didière ou Monin

Le Grand prêtre : Saïz ou Wilk, remp. Saraminte

Danseuse Manou : Giezendanner, remp. Mathis, Verdusen, Marine Ganio

La Nourrice : Nathalie Aubin, remp. Robert

Le Fakir : Hoff ou Isoart ou Bertaud

http://www.parisoperaballet.com.au/site/

The casting for each performance is not annouced yet but above will be a hint

Six pupils of the POB school (Awa, Coralie, Héloise, Kelly, Salomée, and Theodora), will travel to Australia with the corps the corps de ballet to perform in the Manou dance. They're 11 or 12 years old and are studying in the 5th division. Each pair will dance 4 times.

That will be an extraordinary year for them since they'll also travel to Japan at Easter to dance Scaramouche.

Welcome to BalletTalk, Agnes Y.

We cannot vouch for the accuracy of information on other discussion boards. In addition, as I'm sure you understand, casting is always subject to change in the case of illness and/or injury.

For the most reliable casting info, the best source would be POB's website. As of now, it contains no casting info.

Are you planning to attend? If so, I hope you'll report back.

I am not sure where I should post this…

I watched the matinee of POB’s La Bayadere today. The company is great. Unfortunately, the performance ended rather sadly because towards the end of the show, Herve Moreau, who played Solor, was injured. He fell in the landing of that complicated jump (I’m very sorry for my poor description) when he was doing Solor’s solo in Act III Scene 2. It appears that he’s hurt his left foot. His injury seemed to be quite serious as he could not get up and he was clearly in pain. Everyone in the theatre was gobsmacked. After a few seconds, the curtain was lowered and then it was announced that the performance was finished because of Moreau’s injury. I believe the company could not continue with the rest of the scene without Solor... There were no curtain calls.

I have also watched the performance on 29th June and Moreau danced the role of Solor too. He is really a wonderful dancer and his interpretation and technique were impressive. I hope he will recover soon.

:D Poor Herve Moreau, he is such an excellent dancer, but seems to be plagued with injuries.

He was off recently, and sadly when I went in 2008 to see Les dame aux Camellias, he was supposed to dance, but was injured. That time he was replaced by Stephane Bullion, another super dancer. One I am keeping my eye on, he was only a Sujet at the time, but has I believe been promoted since then. Back to Herve

there was a very tongue in cheek article in a Sydney newspaper, about an accident with a pair of scissors and his costume. Seems he was sent to hospital last time POB were in Australia. He has been injured quite a lot recently it seems. Lets hope he will soon reover, but takes enough time off to give his injury time to heal properly.

I have watched the POB’s La Bayadère in Brisbane on 29/6 and 4/7 (matinee). The La Bayadère DVD is the first ballet of the POB I’d ever watched and it was this recording that made me become a fan of the company. Therefore, watching the ballet live had been my long-time wish. :lol: I’m not good at writing reviews…so do forgive me if you find my comments are poorly written…

Aurélie Dupont was Nikiya on 29/6. I love her dancing, so watching her as Nikiya is really something. She was sublime and her every move was very graceful. With brilliant technique and acting, she stepped into the role of Nikiya completely and showed to the audience the ordeal of the heroine. In the matinee on 4/7, Isabelle Ciaravola took up the role of Nikiya and she was equally great. Her extensions were high---I guess this is characteristic of her?

Hervé Moreau performed the role of Solor in both performances and he was gorgeous. He had all the technique and dramatic depth needed for the role. I really love his interpretation. He clearly demonstrated the emotional struggle that Solor was undergoing. It was unfortunate that he got injured in the final minutes before the end of the matinee on 4/7.

I thought I might have a chance to see Dorothée Gilbert as Nikiya. But it turned out that she was cast as Gamzatti. Her Gamzatti was manipulative and fiery. With superb technique, her performance in Act 2 met with loud applause from the audience. In sum, Gilbert was simply awesome! On 4/7, the same role was danced by Laura Hecquet, who is a sujet. As Gamzatti, she was dashing. Her fouettés in Act 2 brought down the house.

Act 2 was as sumptuous as ever. Apparently, the audience found the elephant very impressive. The series of dance in this act were enthralling. As always, the dance of Manu was entertaining. Both Marine Ganio (29/6) and Pauline Verdusen (4/7) gave an enjoyable performance. Yong-Geol Kim was the Golden Idol on both days and he danced the role capably.

The entrance of the shades in Act 3 was captivating. Watching the shades descending the vamp and performing those beautiful and graceful moves was breathtaking. This is my favourite scene of the ballet. I thought I would be seeing premières danseuses perform some of the three variations in the Kingdom of the Shades. Yet, in the two performances that I attended, the roles were given to dancers of other ranks. On 29/6, the three variations were danced by Laurence Laffon, Charline Giezendanner and Alice Renavand respectively. Among these three shades, Giezendanner impressed me most. She was a lovely dancer and conveyed a sense of liveliness while performing the second variation. On 4/7, the three variations were performed by Ludmilla Pagliero, Charline Giezendanner and Aurelia Bellet. They were all adorable. In short, the POB’s performances were spectacular. I really love Rudolf Nureyev’s La Bayadère. His version only has 3 acts and I think omitting Act 4 makes the ballet less vengeful. :P

I spotted Jean-Guillaume Bart’s name on the cast list distributed to the audience and he is one of the ballet teachers. I know he hasn’t danced with the company for some time. Did he retire or what?