This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Going to Florida - what should I see

I'm going on holiday to Florida next February, more precisely somewhere near Fort Lauderdale, and I wonder if somebody on this site would fancy giving me some good ideas about where to go and what to see? I don't know much about Florida, but of cause I have heard about Disney World, Kennedy Space Center and all these big and famous things. What I am curious about is where to find some more special things like good places to hear music, dance venues etc. Something that might not be in my tourist guidebook about Florida. I have found out so much that there are at least two classical ballet companies in Florida, Miami City Ballet and Ballet Florida. How are these companies? MCB have a production of Don Quixote on the programme when we are there. Is it worthwhile seing it?

Anne, I'm not so good on things for the visitor to do, never having been to Disney, the Space Center, or most of the other major visitor destinations. There are excellent websites for all of these, as well as for Fort Lauderdale, Miami and West Palm Beach. The weather in February is near-perfect: warm, relativelyi non-humid, sunny, with big white puffy clouds and balmy breezes and incredible evenings for outdoor dining, strolling, etc. That's the main attraction for most people, whatever activities they enjoy.

The Miami Don Quixote is a fairly standard production, but very well danced on all levels. They last did it a few years ago, and I enjoyed it thoroughly, especially watching multiple casts. Perhaps it wouldn't impress those who are used to multiple performances of the Mariinsky and Bolshoi, but it's certainly in the range of most other high level companies. Rolando Sarabia and several other bravura male dancers have joined the company since they last did it a couple of years ago. Kronenberg, Catoya, Carranza and Jeanette Delgado have the ability to dance thrilling Kitris.

All three theaters -- the Arsht Center in Miami (Feb. 6-8), the Broward Center in Fort Lauderdale (Feb. 13-15, and the Kravis in West Palm Beach (Feb. 20-22) are world-class houses with excellent websites and box offices. The Broward and Kravis are adjacent to a wide range of dining and shopping choices.

Ballet Florida is not performing in February. They're doing a version of Midsummer Night's Dream the weekend of January 30 and a Cinderella in early March. Both are at the Kravis. These full-evening works are fine, but Ballet Florida is most interesting in its mixed bills and in smaller theaters than the Kravis.

I hope others chime in. (Maybe I'll learn something! :) ) And please report on what you see and do.

Thank you for your kind answer, Bart! I think I'll buy tickets for the Don Quixote, then. It's not my favourite ballet but performed well it can be quite a feast. I was pleasantly surprised by the ticket prizes, I thought it would be much more expensive. I suppose there are no subsidies from the state or county for cultural activities in Florida. That's why it surperises me, that the prizes are absolutely comparable to the prizes in many european theatres, where the government subsides heavily.

I'm happy to hear that the climate is good and not too hot at that time of year. I feared a bit about the heat and humidity, being used to the chilled Danish climate! :sweatingbullets:

I'm so glad you'll get a chance to see MCB, Anne. Velkommen!

The company has only a few full-evening ballets in its rep: Balanchine's Nutcracker and Coppelia, and also Giselle and (most recently) Don Quijote. The large international audience (including the Cuban-American community) makes this good business, though my own suspicion is that this kind of ballet would not be Edward Villella's first choice in a perfect world.

Incidentally, the new Cuban dancers, young Carlos Quenedit, danced Espada (I think) for Ballet Nacional de Cuba, including their last European trip. So maybe we'll be lucky.

As to ticket prices -- ballet (as well as opera and serious theater companies) are heavily subidized in the U.S., though not by the government. Companies have to do a great deal of fund raising from private individuals, private foundations, and (less frequently) corporations. Ballet and opera are very "social" down hear, with boards of wealthy individuals who donate money and go to parties with each other. Being invited to join a Board brings social prestige. The MCB board is a particularly good one, I think.

Villella has a huge following among the winter colony, many of whom remember him (as I do) from the old days with New York City Ballet and his many guest appearances around the country and on television.

One more thought about things to do in Florida. Europeans sometimes forget what a big country the U.S. is. For example, Disney is a 4-5 hour drive from Fort Lauderdale on high-speed highways. The Space Center is about the same. So driving is a requirement. While you are doing your planning, please don't forget that you'll be staying not far from a unique North American geographical resource: the Everglades. It's a huge, flat, green, watery wilderness, called by the original Indians "river of grass" or "grassy waters." In winter, the sky is incredibly blue and filled with baroque clouds in all shades of white and silver.

An exciting company called the "Cuban Classical Ballet of Miami" will be performing the full length ballet "Le Corsaire" at the Fillmore Theatre (formally the Jackie Gleason Theatre) at Miami Beach on 2/28 at 8:00PM. Lorena Feijoo/Hayna Gutierrez and Miguel Angel Blanco/Taras Dimitro will perform the leading roles. Additionally there are two young up and coming American starlets, Grace-Anne Powers and Jordan Elizabeth Long that are definately worth seeing.

Thank you for the tip, Pegasus! Unfortunately I will be well back in Denmark at the end of February, so I will miss that one. But thanks anyway! It seems that Florida, and Miami especially, has a lot to offer on classical ballet.

I have heard of the Everglades, Bart, and have already planned to go there. Hope to see an alligator! I will take a close look at the clouds, as they seem to be a central figure in the landscape. Maybe the sky is more important when the land is flat. The western part of Denmark is very flat and watery too, and people there always talk proudly about how big the sky is in their part of the country.

bart did such a good job in spite of himself I have only a few footnotes to add.

Regarding the Florida weather, when it is as expected, it's great, as bart said; my other reason for taking a long weekend away from Chicago in the winter. But on one such trip I neglected to get a forecast and packed according to the normal pattern, but the daytime temperature didn't get above 13 C. (55 F.) until the last day, so I mostly went about in my traveling clothes.

And at night, well, it went down to 5 C. (40 F.), but the inexpensive and generally quieter little old side-street motels I like to stay in in Fort Lauderdale Beach have no heat, so I took off my sweater, put on my pajamas, and put my sweater back on again, and got in bed, having covered it with the clothes I'd hoped to wear in the daytime. So be prepared. Or, if your trip is short, get a long-range forecast from weather.gov and pack accordingly. That's been my method ever since that time.

Well-known high-rise hotels, with rates to match, usually have a view of a highway with trucks by day and motorcycles by night, in my experience: If you can see it, you can hear it.

As for outdoor dining, part of the fun of the tropics is coping with the odd brief shower, and most restaurants are prepared to move their guests under cover at short notice, though the staff may get soaked in the process. It's warm enough (usually!) that it's of little consequence.

My favorite near the Broward CPA (which means Center for the Performing Arts here sometimes, not always Certified Public Accountant) is the Himmarshee Bar and Grille, a few blocks east of it, on Second Street, 954-524-1818. Before the Sunday matinee, H B & G not being open for lunch Saturday and Sunday, I may see whether I can get into The River House (954-525-7661) for their huge brunch buffet, unless I've eaten at Casablanca, a reasonably-priced cafe at the beach (954-764-3500) between Sunrise Boulevard and Las Olas Boulevard, just far enough north of a multi-storey "tourist-trap", Beach Place. (Okay if you want to buy an ordinary souvenir, but I prefer living memories.) Max's Grille I've learned to skip, unless all else fails. (There's been one both in the Beach Place and in the downtown tourist-trap at the east end of the River Walk, itself a nice park setting for the BCPA.)

Las Olas is an upscale shopping street closer to central Ft. Lauderdale, and Mark's is a fine restaurant there. For restaurants, I think the Zagat Surveys are useful books, better than the guidebooks, although I think they give extra points for innovation for innovation's sake when this appreciator of the classics would not. There's also a substantial low-rise hotel there if the beach doesn't attract you. I've never been in it, but rooms away from the street might be okay.

Evenings my favorite restaurant in all Ft. Lauderdale is Casa d'Angelo (954-564-1234) in the northeast part of town, pricey but worth it, and popular, too; you can usually walk right in when they open, a good plan for a second reason: Edward Villella gives pre-performance talks for early arrivals in the theatre. (When you walk out of Angelo's, though, the upscale "toys" in their end of the parking lot make the Cadillac dealer across the road look pathetic.)

It may have been that cold period I took in the south Everglades, instead of staying at the beach to swim, and the suggestions in the Time Out Guide were very helpful, as was some mosquito repellent. All manner of exotic birds abound, putting the dull-colored ones in our northern lattitudes to shame; but if you see an alligator, Anne, remember what the signs say in case the alligator fixes its gaze on you -- and advances in your direction: They can go surprisingly fast, for loungers in the sun, but they can't turn quickly, so run a crooked course. They're better observed from a boardwalk, sunning themselves in communal heaps, young and old alike.

Jack

Thanks for the suggestions! We are going next week for Program 1 and will visit some of your recommended places. I really like Broward. The walk behind the theater is nice and a great place to sit before a performance if you are really early. I agree will the high rise hotels and depending on the time of the year, prices can be really extreme. Would you mind sharing some of the hotels that you have had a good experience with?

I'm going on holiday to Florida next February, more precisely somewhere near Fort Lauderdale, and I wonder if somebody on this site would fancy giving me some good ideas about where to go and what to see? I don't know much about Florida, but of cause I have heard about Disney World, Kennedy Space Center and all these big and famous things. What I am curious about is where to find some more special things like good places to hear music, dance venues etc. Something that might not be in my tourist guidebook about Florida. I have found out so much that there are at least two classical ballet companies in Florida, Miami City Ballet and Ballet Florida. How are these companies? MCB have a production of Don Quixote on the programme when we are there. Is it worthwhile seing it?

Here...some options...

Miami City Ballet-(MCB): http://www.miamicityballet.org/

Cuban Classical Ballet of Miami-(CCBM). http://www.cubancbmiami.com/performances/

Ballet Gamonet-(BG): http://www.balletgamonet.org/php5/index.php

Arts Ballet Teater of Florida-(ABTF) http://artsballettheatre.org/

Ballet Etudes-(BE): (warning, site is currently kind of messed up due to refurbishing, but info is all over the place, even on this board

Miami Contemporary Dance Company.-MCDC): http://www.miamicontemporarydance.net/

Museum of Contemporary Art of North Miami-(MOCA): http://www.mocanomi.org/schedule.htm

Miami Art Museum-(MAM): http://www.miamiartmuseum.org/

Historical Museum of Southern florida -(HMSF): http://www.hmsf.org/

Florida Grand Opera-(FGO): http://www.fgo.org/

Miami Lyric Opera -(MLO): http://www.miamilyricopera.org/

Brodway Across America. http://www.arshtcenter.org/perform/?cid=6

New World Symphony-(NWS): with our adopted Thylson. http://www.nws.edu/

Cleveland Orchestra/Miami Residency-(CO/MR): http://www.clevelandorchestramiami.com/

Seraphic Fire/Firebird Chamber Orchestra: (SFCO): http://www.seraphicfire.org/seraphic-fire

Concert Association of Florida Program. http://www.concertfla.org/

Miami Symphony Orchestra 20th Anniversary Sesason. http://www.miamisymphony.org/

Orchestra Miami 2008/2009 Season. http://www.orchestramiami.org/home.htm

...and hundreds of more stuff...believe me. Just have to get to the places thru the horrible traffic.

and taking some liberties...

The Gay Mens Chorus http://www.miamigaychorus.org/

Look at that list! Who needs a guidebook with cubanmiamiboy here!

But Anne's got the right idea, cahill, planning ahead; booking at the last minute can be dicy, to say the least.

The high-rise hotel that taught me that lesson about road noise the hard way was the Double-Tree Inn on Sunrise Boulevard -- not only do half the suites face Sunrise, but it rises as it approaches a bridge, so the truck drivers -- or, overnight, the bikers -- gun their motors as they approach! It was the first, and so far, the last time I checked out of a hotel before I said I would, which, fortunately, big hotels don't quarrel with, as one room is a tiny fraction of their inventory, I think. But a fifty-unit motel is different.

Anyway, the place I fled to the next day did have one suite available: Robindale Suites, (954) 565-4123, 709 Breakers Avenue; www.robindalesuites.com. Sleep! I awoke just in time for a bite and the performance! Worth a try, even at this late date. (You may have to be a little patient with Cosimo, one of the owners' father, who handles the reservations on site, if you call, as I'd recommend at this point.)

Another good place in the same quiet neighborhood, is the Winterset Motel Suites, (954) 564-5614, 2801 Terramar, thewinterset.com. Try for a suite; the Canadian who freaked out and posted to tripadvisor must have been in one of the rooms, which friends of mine stayed in and praised. Go figure! I've always found their housekeeping fine.

My third choice (Winterset being my first now, actually) is Napoli Belmar Motel Resort, (954) 564 3205, 625 Birch Road, a block east of the other two and still in a quiet neighborhood. More of a family place, and not so quiet on the first floor daytimes as they've taken out the carpeting, but okay at night. Lots of Italian spoken, especially by their long-term guests. They also run Birch Patio, next door (south), likewise carpetless. I've never been in that one, but the same people run the place. They're reliable, in my experience. Especially Angela.

One or two trips, I couldn't get into one of these for the whole four nights, so I switched during my stay. They all know each other, and help out.

Considerably fancier is the (low-rise) Riverside Hotel, the one in the upscale Las Olas Boulevard district. I've never been in, but a room away from the street might be peaceful. I think the hotel backs up to the New River, which might provide a fun way to get to the BCPA: Water taxi. Something else I've not actually done. You could walk it, too, maybe. (954) 467-0671; 620 East Las Olas. riversidehotel.com.

I'd be glad to meet another BTer. If you like, look for my white hair and pink face in the theatre. (I usually sit around row R in the center.)

..Hey, you could come and stay in South Beach. Lots of cheap hotels, fascinating Lincoln Road at walking distance and MCB studios right around the corner, with their huge glass windows for everyone to see their rehearsals and the Arsht Center-(MCB's main stage)- just across the bridge-(if you get to go see DQ).

:thanks: I’m completely overwhelmed by all the helpful addresses and tips about where to go in Florida and where not to. Thank you everybody for taking your time. As Jack Reed puts it, who needs a guidebook when such helpfulnes is pouring down on one! You did quite a good job yourself, Jack, I’d say! I’ll bring my winter’s wardrobe as well as my bikini, taking your advice seriously (and try hard on my crooked running, too! :P ).

I spent most of last night browsing through all the internet websites you listed up for me, cubanmiamiboy, and I suddenly regretted that we have only settled for 8 days. There is so much to see, though it seems that Mid-February is kind of off-season. Most performances and many exhibitions are either before or after our vacation.

I’m happy we stay with (distant) family as it seems that most hotels are either expensive or noisy. It sounds like the traffic is a real nightmare in Florida, and maybe especially around Miami.

I was especially happy for the information you gave me, Jack Reed, that Edward Villella gives some preperformance talks. I hope we’ll be lucky when we’re there. Do you think it is announced on the company homepage beforehand? I was surprised he’s alive. He’s so much of a legend that one automatically (or at least I do) thought he must belong completetly to the past. I would have been happy to see one of the Balanchine programmes, as it sounds like it’s the real core of the company’s repertoire.

An other time it would be great to meet some of you BT's, but this time I'm afraid we're occupied with family. But thank you anyhow for your kind offers!

There is so much to see, though it seems that Mid-February is kind of off-season. Most performances and many exhibitions are either before or after our vacation.
Don't worry, Anne. Mid-February is still the height of the season. Lots to see and do. But PLEASE allow time for enjoying the the sun and sky, the fresh breezes, and a certain amount of dolce far niente: wandering, sitting, conversing, dining, and people-watching. :P

Actually, Anne and others, those three or four little motels from bygone days are pretty quiet, or I couldn't stay in them. That they're modestly priced doesn't hurt me in the least bit! A little more for a nicer meal instead. But there's nothing like staying with family! When they're noisy, you're probably in on the fun!

As to clothes, your family might advise too, but I'd say a few pieces of Spring and Fall clothing should do. Winter! It snows in Denmark, no? Not in Florida! Snow must be illegal there.

As to Villella, he -- or sometimes, rarely, a substitue -- speaks regularly, before every performance. Just be in the theatre 45 minutes before the curtain and get his introduction to the program, any reminiscences he may have of his own performances, and other background. (Don Quixote he may not have danced.) In his early 70's, he's very much around. You may even get to put your hand up and ask him a question.

In his early 70's, he's very much around. You may even get to put your hand up and ask him a question.

This is true, Jack. Mr. Villella always looks and acts very humble and down to earth. In the last company's Open Barre, I happened to barely get on time to the Studios, rushing as usual, just to find the place jammed packed-(seats are not assigned)-when suddenly i spotted an empty spot next to him on the first row. I didn't doubt for a second to ask him if the seat would be used-(the lights were off already)-, and he graciously told me to "please, seat, seat.." right away. During the intermission i briefly spoke to him and thanked him for his work. He was absolutely charming, and even looked shy during my cumplimments... :P

I just tried to book tickets online for a performance of Don Quixote in the Au-Rene Theatre in the Broward Center and I got confused about where to sit. In the category we want, I could choose between the front row (A) in the wings of the Orchestra-section and right in the middle of the fourth row (D) in the mezzanine. Can anyone recommend one of these two? It looks like a huge theatre to me and I would like not to be to far from the stage, but on the other hand it isn't nice either if one cannot see half the stage because one is sitting too far on the side.

I just tried to book tickets online for a performance of Don Quixote in the Au-Rene Theatre in the Broward Center and I got confused about where to sit. In the category we want, I could choose between the front row (A) in the wings of the Orchestra-section and right in the middle of the fourth row (D) in the mezzanine. Can anyone recommend one of these two? It looks like a huge theatre to me and I would like not to be to far from the stage, but on the other hand it isn't nice either if one cannot see half the stage because one is sitting too far on the side.

Anne, the few times that I've been there-(tonight included)-I've been seated at Orchestra center, due to my less than perfect eyesighting,so I really have no idea about the upper levels situation. :)

Anne, the few times that I've been there-(tonight included)-I've been seated at Orchestra center, due to my less than perfect eyesighting,so I really have no idea about the upper levels situation. :pinch:

You can't know everything! :wink: I ended up taking the tickets in the upper level. Thank you for bothering to answer me even if the answer was a "dunno"!