This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

José Martinez's "Les Enfants du paradis"

Thanks, volcanohunter, for that clip. Enfants du Paradis has long been one of my favorite films. With a cast including Jean-Louis Barrault, Maria Casares, Pierre Brasseur, and that amazing icon of mystery and glamour, Arletty, it always reduces me to a state of in-love.

well he does say in the interview that the familyi of prevert had followed the project with interest because it was the first time the subject was done without dialogue, but it is not the first time.
I think I know what you mean, Mme. Hermine. The Pierrot figure (Barrault's stage role in the film) is of course condemned to silence. But there are words to the music -- Edith Piaf's Mon Dieu, written to express her feelings about the death (in a plane crash) of her lover.

Here's the YouTube Link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXzuz169qUs

The performance, by Daniel Meja, is simply stunning.

Any more thoughts or impressions about Martinez's ballet? From what I heard, the music is pretty ... (well) ... unmemorable.

Here'sLink to the Paris Opera website. From there, you can link to an interview with Martinez and Agnes Letestu.

http://www.operadeparis.fr/Saison-2008-200...714&IdS=546

:crying: Mid-day tv interviews are certainly classier in Paris than in my neck of the woods!

:lol: Mid-day tv interviews are certainly classier in Paris than in my neck of the woods!
Indeed, though hostess Elise Lucet seems so preoccupied by the sets and costumes that she'd probably be happier interviewing Agnes Letestu than the, you know, choreographer.

The Paris Opera has posted a couple of excerpts from the ballet featuring Isabelle Ciaravola as Garance and Mathieu Ganio as Baptiste.

http://www.operadeparis.fr/Saison-2008-200...723&IdS=546

Courtesy of Google, I just discovered that the Daniel Meja solo is from Michael Smuin's Hearts, an adaptation of the Carne film for San Francisco Ballet (1986). Putting the solo in the context of the story -- Baptiste's despairing response to watching his love Garance being swept off by the Count -- adds to the pathos of the solo.

Smuin's work was subsequently performed by Washington Ballet and reviewed in the NY Times (1988).

Wouldn't it be fascinating to watch both of these works side by side -- comparing, for example, Meja and Martinez in the leading role? It would also be interesting to compare the effectiveness of the scores. Smuin uses an arrangement of Edith Piaf songs sung by San Francisco cabaret singer Raquel Bitton. Martinez uses an especially commissioned score by Marc-Olivier Dupin. When choreographing Lady of the Camelias, based on a story from a period only a decade or so after Enfants, Val Caniparoli used Chopin. I wonder which approach to the music works best?

I am so excited to be seeing this on Saturday. I love the film and I have high hopes for the ballet. (& I've wanted to see Hearts since I first read about it so thanks for the clip.)

And with regards to the music: Neumeier's Lady of the Camellias uses Chopin, too.

I was lucky enough to attend twice last Sutarday and I'm pretty sure that if you loved the film you will love the ballet as well.

I adored it! All, the music, the sets, the costumes, the way José has been able to transmit the poetry of the film on stage and of course the dance!

Enjoy and yes, please, let us know :sweatingbullets:

I am so excited to be seeing this on Saturday. I love the film and I have high hopes for the ballet. (& I've wanted to see Hearts since I first read about it so thanks for the clip.)

And with regards to the music: Neumeier's Lady of the Camellias uses Chopin, too.

I was lucky enough to attend twice last Sutarday and I'm pretty sure that if you loved the film you will love the ballet as well.

I adored it! All, the music, the sets, the costumes, the way José has been able to transmit the poetry of the film on stage and of course the dance!

Enjoy and yes, please, let us know :)

Twice--wow! You must have really loved it :)

I'm so glad to hear good things about it and I will certainly write about it once I return. CarolinaM, I'd love to hear more of your impressions as well :)

Enjoy and yes, please, let us know :)

Twice--wow! You must have really loved it :)

I'm so glad to hear good things about it and I will certainly write about it once I return. CarolinaM, I'd love to hear more of your impressions as well :)

As I went to Paris only for this event I attended twice on Saturday with two different casts. The first one: Ganio, Ciaravola, Carbone, Pech,... being my preferred one.

What I would tell you for the time being is that as the first interval starts, go quickly to find a place with good view to the main staircase and when you hear the first ring, go back quickly to your seat :)

I hope you enjoy the show. This was a challenge and I really think that José has got it :)