This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Osipova to join ABT as guest artist

According to an ABT press release dated today, the Bolshoi's Natalia Osipova will join as a Guest Artist during the Company’s 2009 Spring Season at the Metropolitan Opera House.

Double ace for McKenzie.

Marc ,

"Double ace" is right! Talk about injecting some excitement.

I'm looking foward to this!

According to an ABT press release dated today, the Bolshoi's Natalia Osipova will join as a Guest Artist during the Company’s 2009 Spring Season at the Metropolitan Opera House.

Double ace for McKenzie.

Marc ,

"Double ace" is right! Talk about injecting some excitement.

I'm looking foward to this!

Was there an announcement of the 2009 Met program? I guess, we will see Don Q :):clapping::clapping:

Here's the release:

NATALIA OSIPOVA TO JOIN AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE

AS GUEST ARTIST FOR 2009 SPRING SEASON

Natalia Osipova, a leading soloist with the Bolshoi Ballet, will join American Ballet Theatre as a Guest Artist during the Company’s 2009 Spring Season at the Metropolitan Opera House, it was announced today by Artistic Director Kevin McKenzie.

Osipova was born in Moscow and trained at the Moscow State Academy of Choreography with Marina Kotova and Marina Leonova. Upon her graduation in 2004, she joined the Bolshoi Ballet as a member of the corps de ballet and was promoted to first soloist in January 2008 and to leading soloist in October 2008.

Osipova’s repertoire with the Bolshoi includes Giselle and the peasant pas de deux in Giselle, the Spanish Doll in The Nutcracker, the role of Mustardseed, which she created, in John Neumeier’s production of A Midsummer Night’s Dream, the Spanish Bride in Swan Lake, Kitri in Don Quixote, Gamzatti and a Shade in La Bayadère, Aspiccia in The Pharaoh’s Daughter, Medora and an Odalisque in Le Corsaire, the title role in La Sylphide, Jeanne in Alexei Ratmansky’s staging of Flames of Paris, and soloist roles in George Balanchine’s Serenade and Twyla Tharp’s In the Upper Room.

Osipova won the Grand Prize at the Prix de Luxembourg International Ballet Competition in 2003 and Third Prize at the International Ballet Competition in Moscow in 2005. At the 2007 National Dance Awards in London, she received the Richard Sherrington Award for Best Female Dancer. In 2008 she received the Golden Mask Award from the Theatre Union of Russia for her performance in In the Upper Room.

The 2009 Spring Season will mark Osipova’s first appearance with American Ballet Theatre.

Here's the release:

NATALIA OSIPOVA TO JOIN AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE

AS GUEST ARTIST FOR 2009 SPRING SEASON

Natalia Osipova, a leading soloist with the Bolshoi Ballet, will join American Ballet Theatre as a Guest Artist during the Company’s 2009 Spring Season at the Metropolitan Opera House, it was announced today by Artistic Director Kevin McKenzie.

Osipova was born in Moscow and trained at the Moscow State Academy of Choreography with Marina Kotova and Marina Leonova. Upon her graduation in 2004, she joined the Bolshoi Ballet as a member of the corps de ballet and was promoted to first soloist in January 2008 and to leading soloist in October 2008.

Osipova’s repertoire with the Bolshoi includes Giselle and the peasant pas de deux in Giselle, the Spanish Doll in The Nutcracker, the role of Mustardseed, which she created, in John Neumeier’s production of A Midsummer Night’s Dream, the Spanish Bride in Swan Lake, Kitri in Don Quixote, Gamzatti and a Shade in La Bayadère, Aspiccia in The Pharaoh’s Daughter, Medora and an Odalisque in Le Corsaire, the title role in La Sylphide, Jeanne in Alexei Ratmansky’s staging of Flames of Paris, and soloist roles in George Balanchine’s Serenade and Twyla Tharp’s In the Upper Room.

Osipova won the Grand Prize at the Prix de Luxembourg International Ballet Competition in 2003 and Third Prize at the International Ballet Competition in Moscow in 2005. At the 2007 National Dance Awards in London, she received the Richard Sherrington Award for Best Female Dancer. In 2008 she received the Golden Mask Award from the Theatre Union of Russia for her performance in In the Upper Room.

The 2009 Spring Season will mark Osipova’s first appearance with American Ballet Theatre.

The announcement almost coincided with her promotion to Leading Soloist with the Bolshoi Theatre, October 18.

Whoohoo .. she's petite, right? Small enough for Herman?

Maybe, but I'd rather see Lane & Kajiya be given those opportunities. I guess I'll have to buy a ticket to see Osipova to get it. I've only seen videos and my impression is - charming, big extension, big jump, a lot of energy and really unmusical.

I know ABT has a history of guest artists, but sometimes the home team is actually of better quality. Maybe I'm wrong in this case; I'll have to see for myself.

Can we hope to see Simkin with Osipove... please please please!!!

I would prefer to see a mixing-and-matching of the principals and soloists, rather than a segregation of "The Russians" and "The Rest." For example, I would prefer to see the elfin Simkin dance with the dainty 'home dancers' Lane or Reyes. Osipova is more of a power-dancer who dances 'big'; I would love to see her paired with Hallberg or Gomez...or even Carreno, who certainly packed a bravura punch at the last YAGP Gala. :clapping: