This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I admit it: I'm too lazy (and dumb) to search the forum for DVD's of the COMPLETE "Apollo". I can find exerpts, and I was so sure there were complete ballets, but in my collection of DVD's I don't find one. Am I searching in vain? rg?

Giannina

I know, I know; I'm a moderator of this forum. Woefully lacking, apparently. :wink:

I admit it: I'm too lazy (and dumb) to search the forum for DVD's of the COMPLETE "Apollo". I can find exerpts, and I was so sure there were complete ballets, but in my collection of DVD's I don't find one. Am I searching in vain? rg?

Giannina

I know, I know; I'm a moderator of this forum. Woefully lacking, apparently. :blushing:

Giannina,

One version off the top of my head is the film of Jacques D'Amboise, Portrait of a Great American Dancer which has the version with the original beginning and ending. The muses are Jiliana, Russell, and Adams. This is in commercial release.

Edited to add: I was typing this while Cristian posted his reply. To add a little bit, this DVD also has, among other material, the Robbins Afternoon of a Faun

with D'Amboise and LeClerc. No you didn't ask for this, but I think this item makes the DVD even more valuable.

Thanks to both of you. I've got this on my Amazon Wish List rated as "highest" for the family to use for Christmas shopping. Of paticular interest is the original beginning and ending. I'm reading "Balanchine Variations' by Goldner, got to page 12 and already I'm ordering DVD's; Lord knows what will happen as I read further. Great stuff!

Giannina

otherwise if you managed get an off-the-air copy of STRAVINSKY AND BALANCHINE: GENIUS HAS A BIRTHDAY which telecast APOLLO and OPRHEUS, you'll have to go w/ the d'Amboise.

'Genius' data below:

Stravinsky and Balanchine - Genius has a birthday 1982. 65 min. : sd. color

Telecast on WNET-TV, Channel 13, New York on October 4, 1982. Producer: John Goberman.

Choreography: George Balanchine. Music: Igor Stravinsky. Lighting: Ronald Bates. Performed by members of the New York City Ballet.

CONTENTS. - Balanchine and Lincoln Kirstein on stage before the performance in a brief toast commemorating the 100th anniversary of Stravinsky's birth. Apollo (25 min.); performed by Peter Martins (Apollo), Suzanne Farrell (Terpsichore), Kyra Nichols (Polyhymnia), Maria Calegari (Calliope). Orpheus (32 min.); scenery and costumes: Isamu Noguchi; performed by Peter Martins (Orpheus), Adam Lüders (Dark Angel), Karin von Aroldingen (Eurydice), Victoria Hall (Leader of the Bacchantes) and members of the company.