This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Noble? Classique? Which roles are which?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#31 Yvonne

Yvonne

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 18 March 2001 - 09:10 PM

As I read this thread (the parts about what makes a "danseur noble"), I keep thinking about Patrick Bissell. I've only seen him on video, but even in that medium, he certainly seemed to have had the body, the walk, the "weight", the presence and the partnering ability to make his ballerina look great.

I'm certainly a lay person when it comes to these things, but if he had lived and further developed his dancing, was he the "danseur noble" type? Reading this thread had certainly made me realize how little I know about these "categories"! Posted Image

#32 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,263 posts

Posted 18 March 2001 - 11:00 PM

I've always thought of Bissell as a danseur noble -- by height, sense of weight, proportions, and sensibilities. It's interesting that in the 1970s and at least early 1980s there would be articles in the dance press, "Will there ever be a true American danseur noble?" There were a lot of people who nominated Bissell. He did all the Prince roles when he was quite young, so I think he met those expectations.

Also, none of us really know about these classifications -- or maybe it's better to say most of us have heard the words, but it's difficult to find out what they mean -- and they vary by time and by country.

#33 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,263 posts

Posted 19 March 2001 - 09:41 PM

[Several posts deleted]

I think this thread has run its course -- or this incarnation of it, at any rate. Cygne Danois has opened a parallel topic on Ballet History. Anyone who wishes to reopen this discussion, please feel free to do so in a new topic.

[This message has been edited by alexandra (edited March 20, 2001).]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):