This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Eric Johnson (Vladimir"Val" Sparinsky)

I'm writing a book about Eric Johnson (1937-2004) whose remarkably varied life included a brief career as a dancer in the 1960's. Eric was not consistently truthful about the specifics of his career. His early training was in his hometown of Fort Wayne, Indiana. In 1961-62 he was a corps member of Ruth Page's Chicago Opera Ballet touring the US. While with that company he adopted the stage name Vladimir Sparinsky. Later he lived in New York, performed in shows at the Latin Quarter, and picked up occasional freelance work. There is strong circumstantial evidence that he was accepted into the corps of the NYCB, but the company's archivist informed me there is no record of him. He may have danced in Europe. His career was cut short by one or more serious injuries to his knee.

Eric's career, such as it was, is by now ancient history, but I am hoping there are still some dancers, historians, and enthusiasts who can fill in some gaps in the story I am trying to tell. Thanks for whatever you can contribute.

Jack, aka researcher33

I'm writing a book about Eric Johnson (1937-2004) whose remarkably varied life included a brief career as a dancer in the 1960's. Eric was not consistently truthful about the specifics of his career. His early training was in his hometown of Fort Wayne, Indiana. In 1961-62 he was a corps member of Ruth Page's Chicago Opera Ballet touring the US. While with that company he adopted the stage name Vladimir Sparinsky. Later he lived in New York, performed in shows at the Latin Quarter, and picked up occasional freelance work. There is strong circumstantial evidence that he was accepted into the corps of the NYCB, but the company's archivist informed me there is no record of him. He may have danced in Europe. His career was cut short by one or more serious injuries to his knee.

Eric's career, such as it was, is by now ancient history, but I am hoping there are still some dancers, historians, and enthusiasts who can fill in some gaps in the story I am trying to tell. Thanks for whatever you can contribute.

Jack, aka researcher33

I knew Eric in nyc 1963/1964. Though not a dancer, i went with him to ballet classes at joffrey "as an observer". What is the ancient history about his career?

Jack, aka researcher33

I knew Eric in nyc 1963/1964. Though not a dancer, i went with him to ballet classes at joffrey "as an observer". What is the ancient history about his career?

The above was briefer than I intended. I believe he said he was with Ballet Russe briefly. Went with him to NYCB performances and do not think he ever said he was with them. I met a very young John Prinz with Eric and they talked about NYCB; again do not remember Eric saying he had been with them. When I knew him the knee was bad but as I said he was taking classes. You write "remarkably varied life": is he the EJ in the George Jonas column? Eric talked a lot about Eastern European countries inc. Hungary but I never heard any suggestion he was going there. He sometimes suggested he was born there and came to the USA at an early age but he was vague about that. I last saw him in April 1964. Took a bus with him from NYC to Chicago and he went on to Ft. Wayne in a couple weeks. Not sure how this site works but I would give my email if you have any questions. fcadio

This is to fcadio. My Eric Johnson seems to be the one you knew. He is indeed the EJ in Jonas's column. please contact me at j.v.hickey@verizon.net. Thanks. Jack Hickey

Jack, aka researcher33