This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

NY Sun ceases publication

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MJ

MJ

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 07:22 PM

The best dance coverage by a NYC Newspaper will cease tomorrow. The NY Sun has announced tomorrow's edition will be it's last.

NYSUN.com :dunno:

#2 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 09:31 PM

Oh dear, this is not good. I always cringe when a print publication dies.

#3 Farrell Fan

Farrell Fan

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 09:59 PM

The dance coverage in the Sun was indeed admirable. Just last week they had a wonderful feature on the revival of Balanchine's Pithoprakta by the Suzanne Farrell Ballet. Alas.

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,965 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 10:28 AM

The arts and culture pages and the sports pages were often excellent, but that's about all I can say. They've been doing everything short of trying to give it away for some time, so this is no great shock.

#5 Figurante

Figurante

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 03:37 PM

Aw this is terrible!

#6 Andrew73

Andrew73

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 03:45 PM

They've been doing everything short of trying to give it away.

Actually, they tried that too:

selling 13,211 hard copies a day and giving away more than 85,000

:dunno:

#7 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 04:07 PM

Yup - they started delivering it to me unbidden. Not wanting to waste the paper, I called them and asked them to stop.

I would have warmed to the paper much more had it not been for the editorial section of the paper - frankly I would not subscribe even if asked for that reason. It is a shame, because the arts coverage was decent.

#8 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 04:09 PM

Although it's sad to see the arts coverage go, I suspect that the decline of the Sun has to do primarily with other more pressing issues, including the fact that its original and chief financial backer, Conrad (Lord) Black, is now in Federal prison for corporate fraud.

About a year ago I tried to read it daily for a couple of weeks. I found the news coverage -- for instance, the kind of story selected and the amount of space given to each -- to be spotty, unbalanced and very much influenced by the editors' (and their former patron's) political biases.

Those wishing to learn more about these matters should check the Wikipedia entry cited by Andrew73.
http://en.wikipedia....he_New_York_Sun

#9 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 12:56 AM

Nevertheless, Joel Lobenthal is a very interesting and extremely well-informed dance critic, and it is a terrrible shame that he loses this forum in which to do what he does so well. I always enjoy and learn from reading him --

This is a shame, a damned shame.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):