This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT Met Season 2009

Also noticed that Copeland and Matthews are down for 2 Tchai Pas, on the same days as the first 2 Lane/Cornejo performances of T&V.

That second Lane/Cornejo T&V is now Kajiya/Stearns (seems like Cory will be partnering everyone in the spring); Sarah and Herman will do the last performance of T&V.

Nina is doing Giselle w. Gomes.

Now this is a performance I got to SEE!! :clapping::clapping:

Have those two every danced together in a large scale ballet like Giselle or Swan Lake before?? I've always felt they would be a perfect match

[Corella's] involvement w. ABT seems to diminish every year.

Yes I've noticed that as well. : :crying:

While I'm thrilled that McKenzie is bringing back a full-length Ashton ballet...why did it have to be Sylvia?? :clapping:

I'll be honest I simply don't care for the ballet. For me it's so boring and uninteresting. It feels like a patch-work that was never fully completed nor realized. If ABT was going to bring back Ashton...then why not bring back his sublime La Fille Mal Gardee?? What a beautifully charming ballet. The staging was wonderful. The critics like it. If I remember correctly it was a favorite with the audience. And it was pretty clear the dancers simply enjoyed performing it. And when the dancers are seen to be enjoying themselves...it makes the ballet experience just that much more exciting.

Currently ABT has a truck load of dancers who could bring magic to the roles of Colas and Lise. I would love to see Corella and Reyes once again dancing those parts. Love to see Herman Cornejo and Sarah Lane. Oh there is just so many dancer partners to pick from!!

Maybe next season! :clapping:

Nina is doing Giselle w. Gomes.

Now this is a performance I got to SEE!! :clapping::clapping:

Have those two every danced together in a large scale ballet like Giselle or Swan Lake before?? I've always felt they would be a perfect match

Nina and Gomes did Swan Lake together last year; Nina replaced an injured Vishneva.

Why does ABT keep casting Kajiya in things like Ballo & T&V? In my opinion her Ballo was a total misrepresentation of the ballet and her Y&V was not very good. I like her in other roles but am puzzled by continued casting in these roles. These ballets deserve better!

Why does ABT keep casting Kajiya in things like Ballo & T&V? In my opinion her Ballo was a total misrepresentation of the ballet and her Y&V was not very good. I like her in other roles but am puzzled by continued casting in these roles. These ballets deserve better!

My thoughts exactly. She is a lovely romantic dancer and there are many roles in the ABT rep that I'd like to see her attempt - but she is definitely NOT an allegro ballerina and she doesn't have the manner needed for T&V - she trivializes t. I will never figure out ABT's casting policies...

I can't understand why P. Herrera isn't doing T&V. She has done T&V in prior years, so the role is not new to her. Regarding the post above concerning the reduction in Carreno's performances, I would guess that since he is now in his mid forties (I think), he simply cannot perform as much as he used to. In fact, I'm a little surprised he has not yet retired. With Corella, he has reduced his appearances with ABT because he has other engagements and priorities (his own company). Nevertheless, I'm still very happy we can see him here in NYC, even if his number of appearances here has diminished.

according to wikipedia, he is not yet 40.

I think wikipedia may be wrong. In an article in the NY Times dated May 21, 2006, John Rockwell stated that Jose Carrreno was turning 39 that week. If my math is correct he will turn 42 in May 2009. My bad. I should have said early 40s instead of mid 40s.

It now appears that Natalia Osipova’s performances with ABT this spring may be jeopardized by the powers that be at her home company. The Bolshoi has just released its Kennedy Center schedule listing Osipova for two evening performance of “Corsaire”, on June 17th and 20th. Her dates for ABT’s “La Sylphide” are June 17 and 19 (also evening), and these have been set since September. So appearances in New York and D.C. would seem to be mutually exclusive. According to Osipova’s interview with Moscow critic Tatiana Kuznetsova (given at the end of October and published on balletfriends.ru http://forum.balletfriends.ru/viewtopic.php?p=67756#67756 on Jan 29, 2009) both the outgoing and the incoming Bolshoi administrations (Ratmansky and Burlaka) were aware of and had expressly approved her ABT engagement, so is this simply a casting oversight or something else? Can anyone shed light on this situation?

Vishneva's partner for R&J is Gomes. Looks like Corella is heading out of town after his Swan Lake w. Nina. His involvement w. ABT seems to diminish every year.

It may look that way, but technically not; Corella is doing the same amount of performances during the Met season as he's done for the last three years, but not the same variety of roles. It all has to do with scheduling his time between his company in Spain, and the demands of ABT. His guest appearances with ABT in London this month and next (but not elsewhere with ABT) are probably for the same reason: London's proximity to Spain and his company. BTW: It would have been VERY tight for him to do that R&J with Vishneva on the 6th, and then get back to Spain for his company's second major debut in La Bayadere at Barcelona's Liceu Theatre July 9-11. I saw how involved he was with their rehearsals last August before the Madrid debut, and am sure it's the same now. (And I believe he's scheduled to dance Solor opening night.)

It now appears that Natalia Osipova’s performances with ABT this spring may be jeopardized by the powers that be at her home company. The Bolshoi has just released its Kennedy Center schedule listing Osipova for two evening performance of “Corsaire”, on June 17th and 20th. Her dates for ABT’s “La Sylphide” are June 17 and 19 (also evening), and these have been set since September. So appearances in New York and D.C. would seem to be mutually exclusive.

I've got my fingers cross that if she's dancing in DC on the 17th that she can take the Metroliner to NYC for the performance on the 19th, and then return to DC on the 20th for the "Corsaire". It's not a very long train ride.

Funny thing about T&V--which was originally created for Alonso, who was, indeed a great Romantic dancer and also classicist. T&V in 1947, when it was created, had a much softer look (something that was missing with Kirkland). It was years before I saw that look again in a performance by Asylmuratova. I did see Kajiya's T&V and I am looking forward to seeing her again this season in the role, and watching her develop. I hope she doesn't loose the softness; the 'manner' will come with maturity.

Funny thing about T&V--which was originally created for Alonso, who was, indeed a great Romantic dancer and also classicist. T&V in 1947, when it was created, had a much softer look (something that was missing with Kirkland). It was years before I saw that look again in a performance by Asylmuratova. I did see Kajiya's T&V and I am looking forward to seeing her again this season in the role, and watching her develop. I hope she doesn't loose the softness; the 'manner' will come with maturity.

I've never seen Alonso live but videos show a very accomplished technician. Her Black Swan variation was pretty flashy for the day. I've studied with teachers who danced with Alonso, and they admired her ability to be classical & romantic but also her technique. Yes T&V is about style, and presentation but it is also about using the choreography to express that style and presentation. Kajiya fell short as did A Stafford in NYCB in presenting the ballet. Cynthia Gregory did a wonderful T&V with a softer quality, Kirkland had more attack, but both did the choreography. Frankly I am not looking for an improved "manner" with Kajiya, I am looking for the steps.

It now appears that Natalia Osipova’s performances with ABT this spring may be jeopardized by the powers that be at her home company. The Bolshoi has just released its Kennedy Center schedule listing Osipova for two evening performance of “Corsaire”, on June 17th and 20th. Her dates for ABT’s “La Sylphide” are June 17 and 19 (also evening), and these have been set since September. So appearances in New York and D.C. would seem to be mutually exclusive. According to Osipova’s interview with Moscow critic Tatiana Kuznetsova (given at the end of October and published on balletfriends.ru http://forum.balletfriends.ru/viewtopic.php?p=67756#67756 on Jan 29, 2009) both the outgoing and the incoming Bolshoi administrations (Ratmansky and Burlaka) were aware of and had expressly approved her ABT engagement, so is this simply a casting oversight or something else? Can anyone shed light on this situation?

I looked at the brochure that ABT mailed out a few months ago. The ABT brochure had listed Osipova for Sylphide on Sat June 20 at 8PM. On the ABT website she is presently listed for Sylphide on Fri June 19 (as well as June 17). Based on her conflicting June 17 dates, it appears there will be even more Osipova casting changes.

I would imagine that Osipova is contractually obligated to fulfill her ABT dates, since unlike the Bolshoi they are not in the habit and probably can't afford to make principal casting changes unless an injury forces them to (as was the case with Vishneva's appearances last spring). As Helene pointed out, it's feasible for Osipova to dance Corsaire in D.C. on the 20th, although 3 full-lengths in 4 days is really :) tough going...

I looked at the brochure that ABT mailed out a few months ago. The ABT brochure had listed Osipova for Sylphide on Sat June 20 at 8PM. On the ABT website she is presently listed for Sylphide on Fri June 19

As far as I know, when in September Osipova received Ratmansky’s permission to accept ABT's offer, she was told that Bolshoi would probably need her for one or two last Le Corsaires and kindly asked ABT to move her La Sylphide from June 20 to June 19 to make it possibile to join the Bolshoi in Washington.

Well, the Osipova casting difficulty seems to be ever-changing, but still has not been solved. The Bolshoi website eliminated the originally posted Kennedy Center casting a few days ago. Now, the new casting on the Bolshoi website lists Osipova performing in Le Corsaire on June 19 and June 21. As noted above, on ABT's website, Osipova is still listed for Sylphide on June 17 and June 19. Thus, unless Osipova is planning on cloning herself, the Bolshoi's new casting does not solve the problem. Why is this so difficult for them!?

Well, the Osipova casting difficulty seems to be ever-changing, but still has not been solved. The Bolshoi website eliminated the originally posted Kennedy Center casting a few days ago. Now, the new casting on the Bolshoi website lists Osipova performing in Le Corsaire on June 19 and June 21. As noted above, on ABT's website, Osipova is still listed for Sylphide on June 17 and June 19. Thus, unless Osipova is planning on cloning herself, the Bolshoi's new casting does not solve the problem. Why is this so difficult for them!?

I agree, it's frustrating – especially because ABT's subscriber priority exchange week ends on Saturday. However since the Bolshoi went so far as to take down the old casting and replace it with a new schedule this time the fault may not lie with them. They now have Osipova performing with them on the 19th and 21st so it's possible that ABT will reschedule her 6/19 performance for one earlier in the week. If that's the case I just wish ABT would straighten it out on their calendar so I can make my last ticket exchange!

By the way, I thought the lines for ticket exchange were considerably shorter than they've been in the past and I was able to get good seats for everything I wanted. Mostly performances that feature Osipova, Nina, Vishneva or Part. That doesn't bode well for the box office - I remember being frustrated at not having good seats available for Nina and Vishneva in recent seasons.

I agree, it's frustrating – especially because ABT's subscriber priority exchange week ends on Saturday. .

Hi NY Susan. Not only does subscriber priority end on Saturday, but according to the subscription materials, subscribers are not permitted to exchange any tickets from April 5 through April 11. Single ticket sales only during that week. By the way, I checked Osipova's website, and she lhas the same dates for ABT that ABT's own website indicate (June 13 (Giselle) and June 17, 19 (Sylphide). See you soon at the ballet!