This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Yvette Chauviré : France's Prima Ballerina Assoluta

VAI is releasing this Dominique Delouche film.

Yvette Chauviré : France's Prima Ballerina Assoluta

VAI DVD 4479, $24.99

A Cannes Film Festival selection, this portrait of France’s greatest ballerina (originally titled Yvette Chauviré: Une ètoile pour l’example) was also included in the Film Society of Lincoln Center’s 2008 acclaimed series devoted to the ballet films of Dominique Delouche. Includes rare performance footage of Chauviré in scenes from L’écuyere, Le Péri, Giselle (with Nureyev), and the Dying Swan, as well as Chauviré in coaching sessions with Sylvie Guillem, Monique Loudières, Yannick Stephant, Isabelle Guérin, and others. Audio options for English and French versions, 81 minutes, Color / black & white, mono, All regions.

This is a wonderful film. The first 'Dying Swan' I ever saw on YouTube is Yvette Chauvire's, when I was trying to find a clip of some sort showing Pavlova. This was before I knew about Maya's famous but very different take on this ballet. Ms. Chauvire's Dying Swan remains my favorite - how I wish we could get the film she was in in 1937(?), with Mia Slavenska, I think, Le Morte du Cigne (pardon my terrible French thanks.GIF ) .