This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT's 2008 City Center Engagement

I just checked ABT for casting and saw "Flames of Paris" for Oct. 28. Was that always there? I don't remember seeing it before. Maybe I just missed it. What is it replacing and why? No cast for it.

That definitely was NOT there before, and neither was Tchai Pas at the 11/1 matinee, also with casting TBA. Flames of Paris is repeated at the 11/2 matinee and I think they added a few more performances of the Tudor Romeo & Juliet pdd. The addition of Flames of Paris is intriguing - dare we hope for a Ratmansky inspired guest ballerina?.

I just checked ABT for casting and saw "Flames of Paris" for Oct. 28. Was that always there? I don't remember seeing it before. Maybe I just missed it. What is it replacing and why? No cast for it.

That definitely was NOT there before, and neither was Tchai Pas at the 11/1 matinee, also with casting TBA. Flames of Paris is repeated at the 11/2 matinee and I think they added a few more performances of the Tudor Romeo & Juliet pdd. The addition of Flames of Paris is intriguing - dare we hope for a Ratmansky inspired guest ballerina?.

It will probably be Daniil Simkin's introduction to ABT audience :dunno:

Gillian Murphy and Ethan Stiefel did this pas as part of the party scene at the Washington National Opera production of Der Flederrmaus about 3 or 4 years ago. I saw it in person and later on PBS at NewYear's Eve. It was terrirific in spite of the small stage and strange setting.

re. Flames of Paris - A number of ABT soloists and even corps dancers (Renata Pavam) danced fantastic Flames pdds during their competitive years, before joining ABT. My great hope is that this pdd is a prelude to a possible staging of the full-length Bolshoi/Ratmansky version at the Met during the spring season....a-la ABT 'borrowing' the Royal's Sylvia a couple of seasons ago. :dunno::dry::beg:

Oh man, I wish I could be there, but I expect DETAILED reports!!!! I'm so happy that Ratmansky's working with ABT, it just seems like a good omen!

Osipova+Simkin? How does that sound???

Yes, it would be fun (although I don't think she's the most musical thing in the world), but personally I'd rather stick with the home team. If it is Simkin I'd like to see him partnered with an ABT up and coming.

Pre-curtain talks:

AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE ANNOUNCES

PRE-PERFORMANCE TALKS EXPLORING

THE WORK OF ANTONY TUDOR,

OCTOBER 23, 24 AND 29

Talks Offered Free to Ticketholders

Continuing its centennial tribute to Antony Tudor, American Ballet Theatre will offer a series of free 30-minute, pre-performance talks on the main stage at New York City Center on Thursday, October 23 at 6:15pm, Friday, October 24 at 6:45pm and Wednesday, October 29 at 6:15pm. Former ABT dancers Kathleen Moore, Eliot Feld, Kirk Peterson and Artistic Director Kevin McKenzie will be among those discussing the life and works of the late choreographer. Additional guest speakers will include Anna Kisselgoff, former chief dance critic for The New York Times; Sally Bliss, executive director of the Antony Tudor Trust; and Roslyn Anderson, rehearsal director for Nederlands Dans Theater I. The pre-performance talks feature open seating and are offered free to ticketholders of that evening’s performance.

American Ballet Theatre’s pre-performance talks will emphasize the following topics: Thursday, October 23 - Tudor’s Influence on Dancers with Kathleen Moore and Kevin McKenzie; Friday, October 24 - Tudor’s Influence on Choreographers with Eliot Feld, Kirk Peterson and Roslyn Anderson; Wednesday, October 29 - The Creative Periods with Anna Kisselgoff and Sally Bliss.

American Ballet Theatre’s Tudor Centennial Celebration at New York City Center runs October 21 through November 2. For tickets, please call New York City Center CityTix at 212-581-1212 or visit ABT’s website at www.abt.org <http://www.abt.org> .

I received this in an e mail today

Dear Members,

We are pleased to announce some exciting additions to our fall season!

Antony Tudor’s rarely seen Romeo and Juilet pas de deux will be added to the program through out the second week of this season. The bedroom scene excerpt showcase’s Tudor’s ability to display young love with quite, small, heart rendering movements and is a special treat for balletomanes of all kind.

We also welcome new soloist, Daniil Simki by adding the Flames of Paris pas de deux. With choreography by Vasily Vainonen and music by Boris Asafiev, Mr. Simkin will have the opportunity to display his ballet born ability in his debut season.

Additional pas de deux will be performed on the following evenings.

For the most up-to-date performance and casting information please visit us at our website. www.abt.org

Tuesday, October 28th—Flames of Paris

Thursday, October 30th—Romeo & Juliet

Saturday, November 1st Matinee—Tchaikovsky

Sunday, November 2nd Matinee—Flames of Paris

Sunday, November 2nd Evening—Romeo & Juliet

To purchase tickets for the City Center Season:

Call Citi Tix at 212-581-1212, visit www.abt.org or go directly to the Box Office on West 55th Street between 6th and 7th Aves

Official casting release:

CASTING ANNOUNCED FOR AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE’S

2008 NEW YORK CITY CENTER SEASON

Additional Pas de Deux to Include

Flames of Paris Performed by Sarah Lane and Daniil Simkin

Casting for American Ballet Theatre’s 2008 season at New York City Center was announced today by Artistic Director Kevin McKenzie.

American Ballet Theatre’s Fall 2008 season will open on Tuesday, October 21 at 6:30 P.M. with a Gala performance highlighted by the pas de deux from Antony Tudor’s Romeo and Juliet (Romeo’s Farewell), danced by Gillian Murphy and David Hallberg, Time, a solo choreographed by Craig Salstein and performed by Michele Wiles, and the New York City Company Premiere of Paul Taylor’s Company B. The program will also feature the pas de deux from Act III of Don Quixote, an excerpt from JiÅ™i Kylián’s Overgrown Path and a performance of George Balanchine’s Theme and Variations.

The World Premiere of Lauri Stallings’ Citizen on Wednesday, October 22, danced by Paloma Herrera, Isabella Boylston, Nicola Curry, David Hallberg and Blaine Hoven, will highlight the first week at New York City Center. Sarah Lane, Devon Teuscher, Melissa Thomas, Cory Stearns and Sean Stewart will debut in the ballet at the Sunday, October 26 matinee. A work for five dancers, Citizen is set to music by Max Richter with costumes by April McCoy and lighting by Ryan J. O’Gara.

Other debuts for the first week include Cory Stearns in Theme and Variations on Wednesday, October 22, and Jose Manuel Carreño (The Young Man from the House Opposite), Veronika Part (Eldest Sister) and Sarah Lane (Youngest Sister) in Pillar of Fire at the matinee on Saturday, October 25.

The Revival Premiere of Twyla Tharp’s Brief Fling on Tuesday, October 28, led by Xiomara Reyes and Herman Cornejo, will highlight ABT’s second week at NY City Center. Paloma Herrera and Marcelo Gomes will debut in the leading roles on Wednesday, October 29. Set to music by Michel Colombier and Percy Grainger with costumes by Isaac Mizrahi, Brief Fling received its World Premiere in 1990 and was last performed by ABT in 1991.

The Revival Premiere of Antony Tudor’s Jardin aux Lilas on Wednesday, October 29, will be led by Julie Kent, Cory Stearns, Kristi Boone and Roman Zhurbin. On Thursday, October 30, Melissa Thomas, Thomas Forster, Veronika Part and Vitali Krauchenka will dance these roles for the first time. With music by Ernest Chausson, this production of Jardin aux Lilas was staged by Kirk Peterson and features scenery and costumes by Peter Cazalet and lighting by Jennifer Tipton. Jardin aux Lilas was first performed by Ballet Theatre during the Company’s inaugural season in 1940 and was last performed by ABT in 2001.

Several pas de deux have been added to performances during the second week of ABT’s NY City Center season, including Flames of Paris on the evening of Tuesday, October 28, and the matinee on Sunday, November 2, danced by Sarah Lane and Daniil Simkin. With choreography after Vasily Vainonen and music by Boris Asafiev, the pas de deux from the full-length Flames of Paris was first performed by ABT in 1972. Xiomara Reyes and Gennadi Saveliev will debut in the pas de deux from Antony Tudor’s Romeo and Juliet (Romeo’s Farewell) on Thursday, October 30, and Michele Wiles and David Hallberg will perform George Balanchine’s Tchaikovsky Pas de Deux at the matinee on Saturday, November 1.

Tickets for American Ballet Theatre’s 2008 Fall Season at New York City Center, priced from $25-$110, are available online at www.abt.org < http://www.abt.org> or by calling CityTix at 212-581-1212. Performance-only tickets for American Ballet Theatre’s Opening Night at NY City Center are priced from $30 to $135. NY City Center is located on West 55th Street between 6th and 7th Avenues in New York City.

Michelob Ultra is the Official Sponsor of the 2008 New York City Center season. Saks Fifth Avenue is the Leading Sponsor of ABT’s Costume Fund. J.P. Morgan is the Official Sponsor of Make a Ballet. American Airlines is ABT’s Official Airline. Northern Trust is the Leading Sponsor of the Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis School. Additional support has been provided by the New York State Council on the Arts, a state agency, and the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs.

Complete casting follows:

AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE

NY City Center - Fall 2008

FIRST WEEK

Tue. Eve., Oct. 21, 6:30 P.M. GALA PROGRAM

THEME AND VARIATIONS – Herrera, Gomes

ROMEO AND JULIET (Romeo’s Farewell) – Murphy*, Hallberg*

TIME - Wiles

OVERGROWN PATH Excerpt – Kent, Saveliev, Matthews

DON QUIXOTE Pas de Deux – Reyes, Carreño

COMPANY B (New York City Company Premiere) - Company

Wed. Eve., Oct. 22, 7:30 P.M. BAKER’S DOZEN – Company

CITIZEN (World Premiere) – Herrera, Boylston, Curry, Hallberg,

Hoven

THE LEAVES ARE FADING – Kent, Gomes

THEME AND VARIATIONS – Wiles, Stearns*

Thurs. Eve., Oct. 23, 7:30 P.M. THE LEAVES ARE FADING - Reyes, Saveliev

OVERGROWN PATH (New York City Company Premiere) –

Company

THEME AND VARIATIONS – Lane, Cornejo

Fri. Eve., Oct. 24, 8 P.M. OVERGROWN PATH – Company

PILLAR OF FIRE – Murphy, Hallberg, Gomes, Bystrova, Butler

COMPANY B – Company

Sat. Mat., Oct. 25, 2 P.M. BAKER’S DOZEN – Company

CITIZEN – Herrera, Boylston, Curry, Hallberg, Hoven

PILLAR OF FIRE – Kent, Saveliev, Carreño*, Part*, Lane*

THEME AND VARIATIONS – Wiles, Stearns

Sat. Eve., Oct. 25, 8 P.M. THE LEAVES ARE FADING – Reyes, Saveliev

OVERGROWN PATH – Company

COMPANY B – Company

Sun. Mat., Oct. 26, 1:30 P.M. THE LEAVES ARE FADING – Kent, Gomes

BAKER’S DOZEN – Company

CITIZEN – Lane*, Teuscher*, Thomas*, Stearns*, Stewart*

THEME AND VARIATIONS – Murphy, Hallberg

Sun. Eve., Oct. 26, 7 P.M. BAKER’S DOZEN – Company

CITIZEN – Lane, Teuscher, Thomas, Stearns, Stewart

PILLAR OF FIRE – Wiles, Hallberg, Gomes, Bystrova, Butler

COMPANY B – Company

SECOND WEEK

Tue. Eve., Oct. 28, 7:30 P.M. BALLO DELLA REGINA – Murphy, Hallberg

FLAMES OF PARIS Pas de Deux – Lane*, Simkin+

OVERGROWN PATH - Company

BRIEF FLING – Reyes*, Cornejo*

Wed. Eve. Oct. 29, 7:30 P. M. COMPANY B - Company

JARDIN AUX LILAS – Kent, Stearns*, Boone*, Zhurbin*

BRIEF FLING – Herrera*, Gomes*

Thurs. Eve., Oct. 30, 7:30 P.M. BALLO DELLA REGINA – Wiles, Hallberg

ROMEO AND JULIET (Romeo’s Farewell) – Reyes*, Saveliev*

JARDIN AUX LILAS – Thomas*, Forster*, Part*, Krauchenka*

COMPANY B - Company

Fri. Eve., Oct. 31, 8 P. M. ALL-TUDOR CENTENNIAL CELEBRATION

CONTINUO - Company

JARDIN AUX LILAS – Kent, Stearns, Boone, Zhurbin

ROMEO AND JULIET (Romeo’s Farewell) – Reyes, Saveliev

JUDGMENT OF PARIS – Moore, van Hamel, Mathis, McKenzie,

Barbee

PILLAR OF FIRE – Murphy, Hallberg, Gomes, Bystrova, Butler

Sat. Mat., Nov. 1, 2 P.M. BALLO DELLA REGINA – Kajiya, Cornejo

TCHAIKOVSKY PAS DE DEUX – Wiles, Hallberg

JARDIN AUX LILAS – Kent, Stearns, Boone, Zhurbin

BRIEF FLING – Herrera, Gomes

Sat. Eve., Nov. 1, 8 P. M. BAKER’S DOZEN - Company

CITIZEN – Herrera, Boylston, Curry, Hallberg, Hoven

PILLAR OF FIRE – Kent, Saveliev, Carreño, Part, Lane

BRIEF FLING – Reyes, Cornejo

Sun. Mat., Nov. 2, 1:30 P. M. BALLO DELLA REGINA – Murphy, Hallberg

FLAMES OF PARIS Pas de Deux – Lane, Simkin

JARDIN AUX LILAS – Thomas, Forster, Part, Krauchenka

COMPANY B – Company

Sun. Eve., Nov. 2, 7 P. M. BALLO DELLA REGINA – Wiles, Hallberg

ROMEO AND JULIET (Romeo’s Farewell) – Murphy, Saveliev

OVERGROWN PATH - Company

BRIEF FLING – Herrera, Gomes

*Editors please note: First time in a role

Tues. Eve., Oct. 21 – Murphy, Hallberg in the Romeo and Juliet (Romeo’s Farewell)

Wed. Eve., Oct. 22 –Stearns in Theme and Variations

Sat. Mat., October 25 – Carreño (Young Man From the House Opposite), Part (Eldest Sister), Lane

(Youngest Sister) in Pillar of Fire

Sun. Mat., Oct. 26 – Lane, Teuscher, Thomas, Stearns, Stewart in Citizen

Tue. Eve., Oct. 28 - Lane in the Flames of Paris pas de deux; Reyes, Cornejo in Brief Fling

Wed. Eve., Oct. 29 – Stearns (Her Lover), Boone (An Episode in His Past), Zhurbin (The Man She

She Must Marry) in Jardin aux Lilas; Herrera, Gomes in Brief Fling

Thurs. Oct. 30 – Reyes, Saveliev in the Romeo and Juliet (Romeo’s Farewell); Thomas (Caroline), Forster

(Her Lover), Part (An Episode in His Past), Krauchenka (The Man She Must Marry)

+Editors please note: First time in a role with ABT

Sun Mat., Oct. 26 - Simkin in Flames of Paris pas de deux

No Dvorovenko and Beloserkovsky? That is dissappointing and hopefully will soon be changed.

I think that they have never been listed as principals for this engagement, even from the first brochure that came out months ago. I suspect they'll be back for the Met season.

I wonder what happened to The Leaves Are Fading pdd that was supposed to be performed as part of Oct. 31 Gala. :thumbsup:

I was so looking forward to this. Did they just drop the LAF pdd from the season entirely? :dry:

LAF will be performed on other nights (please refer to the complete schedule at abt.org), but not on Oct. 31 for which I have an excellent seat - terribly disappointing :(