This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

The Four TemperamentsQuestions.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 Ray

Ray

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 07:53 AM

I will also add that the more I watch that video--which is almost 30 years old now!--the more I marvel at Merrill Ashley (in Sanguinic).

#17 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 10:07 AM

It is perfectly possible to correct bow legs with straight knees. See Gretchen Ward Warren, page 69.

#18 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,745 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 10:20 AM

I will also add that the more I watch that video--which is almost 30 years old now!--the more I marvel at Merrill Ashley (in Sanguinic).

I love the whole thing, actually, even the parts that aren't really canon.

#19 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,728 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:14 AM

Arlene Croce has a long essay in one of her books, which was written when the piece was revived with the Ashley, Cook (who was memorable becuase of his flexibility), etc. cast.

It's in Afterimages, and I assume in the comprehensive anthology of her New Yorker writings.

I've always seen the lifts at the end of the ballets as planes taking off from an NYC airport run way.

They've always given me a similar feeling - the lifts have almost an interplanetary feel, as if they're taking off for another world.

Thank you, cubanmiamiboy, for including the definite article in your original post. ("The Four Temperaments") :clapping:

She's awesome.

#20 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,407 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 01:33 PM

What makes the entire video worth it for me is Bart Cook's "Melancholic", and there are parts of the solo that are very different than the versions being performed today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):