• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 Paquita

Paquita

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 02 February 2001 - 06:42 PM

In Canada we get a little Balanchine exposure. I've seen NBoC do Apollo and Jewels most recently. In the spring season they'll also be performing Serenade and Theme and Variations. And of course there's the Balanchine Library videos, and the video "Peter Martins: A Dancer" with Agon and Chaconne with Farrell. I haven't seen a lot of Balanchine, but the more I see, the more I want to see. Especially his collaborations with Stravinsky!

I have a great deal of respect for Balanchine and think very highly of him. He seems to have been such a fascinating person with an interesting outlook and philosophy. He was very patient, but also very hard working, even when he was getting ill.I think he had 2 wonderful gifts: teaching and choreographing. I won't get into the debate about his technique, or his emphasis on the ideal ballerina- tall, thin, all legs. But I think what he created and gave to American ballet is wonderful, and to date has not been matched.

#17 Kevin Ng

Kevin Ng

Bronze Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 02 February 2001 - 11:46 PM

I have no doubt that Balanchine was the greatest choreographer of the twentieth century. Last year was an unusually good year in Hong Kong in terms of Balanchine ballets. We saw Balanchine's masterpiece "A Midsummer Night's Dream" superlatively danced by the Pacific Northwest Ballet, as well as "Theme and Variations" danced by the ABT with Julie Kent and Gillian Murphy in the ballerina role. And I am glad that I also saw "Jewels" danced by the Kirov in London, and the Paris Opera Ballet at the Garnier.

I am not sure yet if there will be any Balanchine ballets shown in Hong Kong this year. It's most annoying that Stephen Jefferies has not put on a single Balanchine ballet for the Hong Kong Ballet in the past five years. The company actually has "Who Cares", "Tchaikovsky Pdd", and "Allegro Brillante" in its repertory, originally staged by Karin von Aroldingen.

[This message has been edited by Kevin Ng (edited February 03, 2001).]

#18 CygneDanois

CygneDanois

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 04 February 2001 - 11:27 PM

I agree that he is the greatest choreographer of the last century.

Paquita, you might be surprised at the number of short dancers in NYCB Posted Image.

------------------
CygneDanois

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):