This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Information and Stories about Joyce Cuoco and Balesti Wanted!!

Joyce Cuoco is the blonde in the following clip; she plays Olga in Stuttgart Ballet's "Onegin"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKEUPEwb3TU

As you'll see, it's a big role, and she's lovely in it.

According to Ms. Balestracci, Joyce was younger than her and a student who also studied with the famous Harriet Hoctor in Boston. Balestracci, had already been a solosit for a few years with the RCMH. Joyce decided one day not to perform one show and management told Balestracci to put a costume on and go on stage and wing it. It was the only time Joyce missed a performance and the only time Balestracci ever covered for her.

I'm putting in direct links to these web pages:

http://www.evspa.org/Sandra.asp

http://www.capafund.org/artistic.asp

It's a great story and an impressive career. Thanks, metdivo. I hope she gets to know that one of her tutus is in good hands.

I'd love to hear the story about how Ms. Balestracci got to play Charlie Chaplin ... and how she got along with Ed Sullivan. :)

Peter Genaro and Balestracci were kidding around in rehearsal when he mention that he would like to do a revue of Charlie Chaplin. A year later he called her and said that RCMH had agreed to do the revue and she was going to play Charlie. The whole show was revovled around Charlie. But of course the piece de resistance was when she came out for her curtain bow and took off the had and her beautiful long hair came cascading down reveling Charlie was actually being played by a woman.. Victor Victoria anyone? Balestracci received many accolades in all the NY papers. Mr. Gould, then president of RCMH, presented her with a citation and a sculpture from Tiffany's. According to what I understand, Balestracci still to date is the only performer ever given such recognition. During that time, she was also performing at Lincoln Center's New York State Theater and on a few occassion would litterally run off the stage at RCMH, jump into a cab, go to the state theater, change costume and perform some classical piece.

Her memories of that night, were more of the other performers scheduled which were Lana Cantrell and Joan Rivers. She remembers the audience booing Rivers and that she was crying afterwards. The other thing about that night that she remembers is that she did the most pirouettes she ever has done in her career but the camera had pulled in for a close up and all you saw was her head going around and around. The only conversation that she had with Mr. Ed... was when he announced her name and where she was from, which she said "Excuse me Mr. Sullivan, I'm from New Bedford Massachusetts, not Connecticut.

Hello everyone!

I recently aquired a vintage professional tutu that has 2 names inside. The names are "Joyce Cuoco" and "Balesti". If anyone has information and or stories about these dancers, please post! I would love to learn more about the dancers. I would like factual information (D.O.B., what companys they were in, what they are doing now (if still alive), etc) and personal stories. Thank you so much, I appreciate it!

Where did you get the tutu? Is it from Radio City Music Hall or from Boston? Joyce Cuoco trained in Boston with E. Virginia Wiliams of the Boston Ballet. Ms. Cuoco also was a principal dance at Radio City during the time of the ballet company there. I believe later, Ms. Cuoco danced in Germany, as well. I am sure there are many other distinction of this fine ballerina. Since Ms. Cuoco danced after me, I only have this partial information.

I heard she was amazing.