This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Encouraging news from Lincoln Center's 50th anniversary efforts

the following comes from the 8 page release of about Lincoln Center's 50th Anniversay celebrations:

<<Additional 50th Anniversary Initiatives Live From Lincoln Center May 2009-May 2010 Performances by Leontyne Price, Joan Sutherland, Beverly Sills, and hundreds of other artists who appeared on the country’s only live performing arts series, Live From Lincoln Center, will now be available to the public through a worldwide licensing arrangement with EuroArts/Medici. Over the next decade, these ‘hidden treasures’ from Live From Lincoln Center’s vast programming library, will be offered globally on DVDs, downloads, streaming video, broadcast, and other digital media. The nationally televised series in 2009-2010 will change its name to Live From “the 50th Anniversary of” Lincoln Center to highlight the anniversary.>>

at today's press conference this was mentioned in one speaker's remarks and one of the names inserted into the list offered from the podium, and not given in the release's quote above - all opera singers - was Baryshnikov's so i'm assuming the THEME AND VARIATIONS w/ Kirkland.

i should have asked someone connected with the 'deal' and/or NYCB if this would mean release of the COPPELIA telecast, but i suppose we'll learn sooner or later.

i can't tell from what's stated in the release about this venture if the venture means wholesale, full-catalogue release of these telecasts or if it will amount to a selective catalogue of the programs for which the distributor could get full, signed-release approval. to be sure, it does say, 'over the next decade' regrading the release of the programs, so it could be done in slow stages, but at least it's in the works.

we'll have to wait and see regarding the full particulars, but so far the news is quite encouraging.

at today's press conference this was mentioned in one speaker's remarks and one of the names inserted into the list offered from the podium, and not given in the release's quote above - all opera singers - was Baryshnikov's so i'm assuming the THEME AND VARIATIONS w/ Kirkland.
:innocent::clapping::P:wub:

Realizing that it's not yet formally underway, but rg, you just made my whole ballet season. Thank you. Thanks to Lincoln Center, and thanks, too, to all those artists who signed the release forms.

the who cares/mozartiana/vienna waltzes was more like 1985, if i remember correctly. i don't recall if it was one of those, though.

oops, off a little: Here is the library's entry:

Videotaped in performance at New York State Theater, New York, N.Y., on Oct. 10, 1983. Telecast on WNET/13, New York, as part of the Great Performances series, on Oct. 16, 1983.

Credits Lighting, Ronald Bates.

Performer Performed by New York City Ballet Company.

Music performed by New York City Ballet Orchestra; music director and principal conductor, Robert Irving.

Host: Patrick Watson.

Contents Vienna waltzes (ca. 49 min.) / music, Johann Strauss II, Ferenc Lehár, and Richard Strauss; scenery, Rouben Ter-Arutunian; costumes, Karinska; cast: Tales from the Vienna Woods, danced by Kyra Nichols and Sean Lavery; Voices of spring, danced by Heather Watts and Helgi Tomasson; Explosion polka, danced by Elyse Borne and Bart Cook; Gold and silver waltz, danced by Karin von Aroldingen and Peter Martins; First sequence of waltzes from Der Rosenkavalier, danced by Suzanne Farrell and Adam Lüders, and others.

Mozartiana (ca. 28 min.) / music, Peter Ilich Tchaikovsky on themes by Mozart; costumes, Rouben Ter-Arutunian; danced by Suzanne Farrell with Ib Andersen, Victor Castelli, four students from the School of American Ballet, and others.

Who Cares? (ca. 42 min.) / music, George Gershwin, adapted and orchestrated by Hershey Kay; scenery, Jo Mielziner;

costumes, Ben Benson; danced by Patricia McBride, Sean Lavery, Lourdes Lopez, Heather Watts, and others; piano solo, Jerry Zimmerman.

That "Vienna Waltzes"/"Mozartiana"/"Who Cares?" program was amazing, especially the first two ballets.

When it was broadcast on PBS in NYC, there were technical difficulties during "My One and Only", and I forever remember this solo with that message displaying on screen part way through. (I didn't watch that videotape too much, noooooooo.)

That "Vienna Waltzes"/"Mozartiana"/"Who Cares?" program was amazing, especially the first two ballets.

When it was broadcast on PBS in NYC, there were technical difficulties during "My One and Only", and I forever remember this solo with that message displaying on screen part way through. (I didn't watch that videotape too much, noooooooo.)

My copy, not so great to begin with, is so worn out, and guess where? Suzanne and Ib's variations in Mozartiana, of course! She did some funky and amazing stuff in her solos that kept my remote busy as I paused and rewound, paused and rewound to figure out how she did it!

unfortunately the Vienna W./etc. and another NYC B all-stravinsky, AGON, VARIATIONS, PERSEPHONE, did not get telecast as 'Live from Lincoln Center' - so i don't know if these well be among the LIVE FROM... releases.

another LIVE FROM balle prog. was the 'All-Petipa Evening' at ABT w/ 'Raymonda III' (w/ van Hamel and Godunov) 'Jardin Animee' (w/ Jaffe and deRibere) 'Fille Mal Gardee pdd' (w/ Tcherkassky and Bujones) and 'Sleeping Beauty III' (w/ Makarova and Baryshnikov) but for some reason i can't seem to find any data on this in the NYPL dance coll. cat.)

additionally, howerver, besides the often discussed LIVE FROM telecasts here w/ ABT, such as GISELLE w/ Makarova and Baryshnikov SWAN LAKE w/ Makarova and Nagy there are the following listed in NYPL, with data relating to the intermission featues.

whether or not these aspects of the telecasts will be released and kept as 'extras' etc. is unknown.

The sleeping beauty 1979. 180 min. : sd. color

Telecast on WNET-TV's Live from Lincoln Center in May, 1979. Producer: John Goberman. Director: Kirk Browning. Writer: Tobi Tobias. Host and intermission interviews: Robert MacNeil.

Choreography: Mary Skeaping after Marius Petipa. Music: Peter Tchaikovsky. Scenery and costumes: Oliver Messel.

Performed by American Ballet Theatre, with Cynthia Gregory (Princess Aurora), Fernando Bujones (Florimund), Jolinda Menendez (Lilac fairy), Marcos Paredes (Carabosse), Marianna Tcherkassky (Enchanted Princess), Kirk Peterson (Bluebird), and Alexander Minz, Sallie Wilson, Victor Barbee, Warren Conover, Kristine Elliott, and Nanette Glushak.

Prologue (The christening). Intermission interviews by Robert MacNeil: Marcos Paredes, Jolinda Menendez. - Act I (The spell). Intermission interview: Cynthia Gregory. - Intermission interview: Fernando Bujones. Act II (The vision). Intermission interview: John Lanchbery, conductor. - Cassette 4: Act III (The wedding)

La bayadère / WNET-TV ; choreography by Natalia Makarova after Marius Petipa ; music by Ludwig Minkus.

New York, N.Y. : WNET-TV, 1980. (125 min.) : sd., col.

Telecast on WNET-TV's Live from Lincoln Center on May 28, 1980 from the Metropolitan Opera House, New York, N.Y.

Scenery, PierLuigi Samaritani ; costumes, Theoni V. Aldredge ; lighting, Toshiro Ogawa.

Host: Pia Lindstrom.

Natalia Makarova, Act I, and Marianna Tcherkassky, Act II and III (Nikiya), Anthony Dowell (Solor), Victor Barbee (Radjah Dugmanta), Cynthia Harvey (Gamzatti), Alexander Minz (High Brahmin), Danilo Radojevic (Head Fakir and Bronze Idol), and members of American Ballet Theatre. Makarova replaced by Tcherkassky in Acts II and III due to a knee injury.

Conductor, John Lanchbery.

A midsummer night's dream : 1986. 112 min. : sd. color

Telecast on WNET-TV Great performances/Live from Lincoln Center series, 1986. Producer: John Goberman. Director: Kirk Browning. Host: Patrick Watson. Choreography: George Balanchine. Music: Felix Mendelssohn. Scenery: David Hays. Costumes: Karinska. Lighting: Ronald Bates.

Performed by: Maria Calegari (Titania), Ib Andersen (Oberon), Jean-Pierre Frohlich (Puck), Victoria Hall (Hippolyta), Cornel Crabtree (Theseus), Jock Soto (Titania's cavalier), Stephanie Saland (Helena), Judith Fugate (Hermia), Kipling Houston (Lysander), Peter Frame (Demetrius), Laurence Matthews (Bottom), Katrina Killian (Butterfly), Merrill Ashley & Adam Luders (Act II divertissement), members of the New York City Ballet, and students of the School of American Ballet.

Includes intermission interview with conductor, Robert Irving.

oddly this ABT ROMEO AND JULIET didn't come up in my search for LIVE FROM LINCOLN CENTER but you are correct to note it.

as i understand it, the telecast preparations include filming an earlier perf. so if something goes wrong along the way of the 'live' telecast the alternate telecast can 'fill in' the problem area. so if the last act of this ballet was filmed otherwise, a release could ostensibly include the back-up footage.

we will only know exactly what's in the offing when Linc. Cent. announces a list of intended releases. the fact that the general press announcement exclusively named opera singers might mean that the first efforts will be concentrated on the opera telecasts. and yet, the individual addressing the press gathering made a point of adding Baryshnikov's name to the list.

...so i'm assuming the THEME AND VARIATIONS w/ Kirkland.

Was this the telecast where Kirkland was interviewed during the intermission? As I recall, she was still in full costume and the interviewer asked her something like 'Does it get easier each time you dance?' and Kirkland sort of groaned and said 'It never gets any easier'.

...so i'm assuming the THEME AND VARIATIONS w/ Kirkland.

Was this the telecast where Kirkland was interviewed during the intermission? As I recall, she was still in full costume and the interviewer asked her something like 'Does it get easier each time you dance?' and Kirkland sort of groaned and said 'It never gets any easier'.

That's the one. He asks her how she feels emotionally after a performance and she answers "so relieved that it's over" and says T & V has always been "very difficult" for her and "it hasn't gotten any easier or any better."