This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Rose Adagio balancesa poll

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

Poll: The Rose Adagio balances (70 member(s) have cast votes)

Is it necessary for Auroras to make the "crown" 5th position over their heads?

1. Yes - an Aurora who can't hold the balances shouldn't dance Aurora (45 votes [64.29%])

Percentage of vote: 64.29%

2. No - it's only 5 minutes out of a 2 hour ballet (12 votes [17.14%])

Percentage of vote: 17.14%

3. I don't care either way (13 votes [18.57%])

Percentage of vote: 18.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:37 PM

I was disturbed by how she lowered her attitude leg so much to achieve those long balances. Holding that leg up in attitude while balancing is one of the joys of the Rose Adagio, and one of the challenges. Rojo's lowered leg gives the impression that she went for the trick rather than beauty.

#62 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:54 AM

Watched the video of Ms. Rojo before reading the comments. Agree she looks strained on stage, and I didn't care for her balances, or the finale, when she only went twice around on point. Very surprising as the Royal Ballet places a premium on excellent acting.

#63 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:30 AM

Darn. I'm too late. The youtube clip was removed.

#64 jsmu

jsmu

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:16 PM

You didn't miss a thing, abatt. If that were the only thing I'd ever seen Rojo do I'd never watch her again.
everything said above--strained, effortful, sloppy technique and lowered leg in the attitude balances
(more than one of which she fell out of), no warmth, no grace, no assurance.
The last balance was as if she were trying to do a circus trick to make up for the previous ones.
It's hard to believe she was that bad in something public. Aurora is NOT her role.

#65 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

If it makes you feel any better about the NYCB sets, when I see this set from ABT's Sleeping Beauty, I can only think "Thomas Kinkade, painter of light" - and that's not a compliment.

Posted Image

#66 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,646 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

If it makes you feel any better about the NYCB sets, when I see this set from ABT's Sleeping Beauty, I can only think "Thomas Kinkade, painter of light" - and that's not a compliment.

Yeouch!

#67 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

Poor Russian Prince in mauve gets rejected twice...Posted Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUgbZsXQyzA

#68 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:33 PM

rejected, but she came out of the balances so gracefully that you don't really notice unless you're looking for the missing final turn with Mr. Mauve.

#69 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:30 PM

rejected, but she came out of the balances so gracefully that you don't really notice unless you're looking for the missing final turn with Mr. Mauve.

Actually, I just realized that it is not Mauve who gets rejected twice, but only during the second set of balances. The first time is White who doesn't get her hand. Well...it is clear that the thing is aimed at showing a looooonger last unsupported balance by Valdes during the two sets. Still, they both stand there offering their hand just in case she has an off night and really needs some support. But...even being a strict showy sequence, it can't help but showing Aurora accepting the three first hands, as if saying to the last one "I don't need you, so leave me alone". This is more Valdes than Aurora, IMO..Posted Image (or maybe a little rebellious princess..?)

#70 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:59 PM

This is just lovely:

#71 hydraulix

hydraulix

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:52 PM

Great video of Novikova. She reminds me somewhat of Larissa Lezhnina; same beautiful doll face, bubbly/charming personality on stage as Aurora and a radiant smile.

#72 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:11 PM

I didn't see this mentioned in this thread, but apologies if it has been -

#73 mimsyb

mimsyb

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:22 PM

WOW!  Stunning.  I sometimes forget how extraordinary she was in this role.  Thanks.

#74 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,646 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:45 PM

Oh what a pleasure to see her here.  She is an excellent example of using technical control to present a specific character.  I love how she rolls through her foot from pointe, rather than hopping down -- it gives such a calm and modest quality to her dancing that is so very appropriate for Aurora.

#75 maps

maps

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:41 AM

Novikova video currently available

I saw Kolpakova do the Rose Adagio in NY as part of a mixed bill.  She was beautiful and did the balances. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):