This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

XIII International Ballet Festival of Miami. 09/06

Last night was the opening of the XIII International Ballet Festival of Miami, under the resilient direction of Pedro Pablo Pena and his unwavering Assistant Director Heriberto Jimenez. This took place at the Manuel Artime Theater, where the International Young Ballet Medal Winners Performance was presented. This program was assembled by Larissa Saveliev, Artistic Director of Youth America Grand Prix, drawing on YAGP’s international network of dance talent in collaboration with the International Ballet Festival of Miami. The program consisted in the usual display of works that are common in the competition circuit, plus some contemporary/modern renderings. The dancers were very young, ages ranging from 11 to 22. The public was very enthusiastic, and they had a persistent ovation at the end. This was the program.

Part I

Mirletons Variation from Nutcracker. Petipa/Tchaikowsky

Shania Rasmussen (12)/Colton West (11)

National Ballet Academy of Denver, Co. USA

“Let me Fall”. Canterna/Groban

Derek Dunn (13)

Edna Lee Dance Studio, Md. USA

“Reflections”. Reeder/Sakamoto

Megan Yamashita (15)

Southland Ballet Academy, Ca. USA

“Spring Waters”. Messerer/Rachmaninoff

Skylar Lubin (16).The Rock Center for Dance Education, PA, USA/Richard Hankes (22)Miami City Ballet School, FL,USA

“Action and Command”. Dos Santos/”The Truman Show” soundtrack

Carolina Neves (18) Centro de Danza, Rio, Brazil

“Grand Pas Classique” Variation. Gsovsky/Auber

Tamako Miyazaki (19) La Scala Ballet Academy, Italy/Kaneta Kouno Ballet Academy, Japan

“Cardiac Arrest”. Plotnikov/Huelsmann

Jeffrey Cirio (17) Orlando Ballet School, Fl, USA

“Maydow”. Tregarthen/Warsaw Village Band

Kirsten Wicklund (18) Goh Ballet Academy, Canada/Washington Ballet Studio Company, DC, USA

“Talisman” Variation. Petipa/Drigo

Emily Kadow (15). Ellison Ballet Professional Training Program, NY, USA

“10 Spiritus Spiral”. Cara/Corrad

Irlan dos Santos (18). Centro de Danza Rio, Brazil/American Ballet Studio company, NY, USA

“Don Quixote PDD” Adagio and Coda. Petipa/Minkus

Hannah Schiller (15)/Adam Hartley (18)

-Kitri’s Variation- Anna Lorena Boyd (12)

V/T Dance Academy, CA, USA/Pointe Dance Academy, Panama

INTERMISSION

Part II

“Bluebird PDD” Adagio. Petipa/Tchaikowsky

Kira Anderson (12) JKO at ABT, NY, USA/Derek Dunn (13) Edna Lee Dance Studio, MD, USA

“Notre Dame de Paris” Petit/Jarre

Hanna Schiller (15) V/T Dance Academy, CA, USA

“Esmeralda” variation . Petipa/Pugni

Tamako Miyazaki (19) La Scala Ballet Academy, Italy/Kaneta Kouno Ballet Academy, Japan

“Lacrimosa”. Lannin-Comelin/Mozart

Sally Schweitzer (15)/Steven Loch (17). Ballet Conservatory of Texas, TX, USA.

“Complicated Game”. Dwyer/Davies

Jasmin Dwyer (18). National College of Dance, Australia/Washington Ballet studio company, DC, USA

“Coppelia”. Franz variation. St. Leon/Delibes

Jeffrey Cirio (17). Orlando Ballet School, Fl, USA

“The Hill”. Loud.Irglova

Kirsten Wicklund (18) Goh Ballet Academy, Canada/Washington Ballet Studio, DC, USA

“Gopak” Zakharov/Solovyov-Sedoi

Adam Hartley (18) V/T Dance Academy, Ca, USA

“Plentitudo” Bianco/Bach

Savina Belloto (19)/Federico Veratti (19). Il Balletto, Italy

“Satanella PDD” Petipa/Pugni

Carolina Neves (18)/Irlan dos Santon (18) Centro de Danza, Rio, Brasil/American Ballet Studio Company, NY, USA.

At the end, all the dancers took their turns to dance in a common extended offering of the Corsaire PDD Coda music. It was very cute, and they were very happy when taking bows. Among all the dancers I want to mention two of them that really caught my eye. Tamako Miyazaki (19) La Scala Ballet Academy, Italy/Kaneta Kouno Ballet Academy, Japan and Irlan dos Santos (18). Centro de Danza Rio, Brazil/American Ballet Studio company, NY, USA. Great dancing. Bravo! :rofl:

Thanks, Cristian, for that lovingly detailed review. Have you made it to any other performances down in Miami?

A couple of days ago, in dirac's Links forum, there was a preview of the Festival's annual performance in West Palm Beach. I've avoided this the past couple of years after a disastrous program played to an almost empty opera house. (They don't do publicity up here.)

It’s only the fourth year that the festival has ventured to Palm Beach County, and already, artistic director Pedro Pablo Pena is tweaking the format. Instead of 15 or so companies in a parade of dance styles and elaborate costumes, he will focus half the program on a single audience favorite.

“This year at the Kravis Center is a special presentation by the Cuban Classical Ballet of Miami performing the Act II of ‘Giselle’ with a full corps de ballet,” said festival spokesperson Karen Couty. Principal prima ballerina Hayna Gutierrez and principal dancer Miguel Angel Blanco, both recently defected from Cuba, will return to star as the leading couple.

The festival mounts no fancy productions, nothing to distract from the elaborate dancing.

If I'd known the program I would have gone. Your review of Cuban Classical Ballet has made me curious. And I'd really like to see what Kansas City does with Still Point, a ballet I've never seen, though it feaetured the favorite ballerina of my youth, Melissa Hayden.

Was anyone at the Kravis? What was it like?

perhaps you know, but if not, Hayden and d'Amboise were filmed in the pas de deux from THE STILL POINT and it's included in JACQUES D'AMBOISE - PORTRAIT OF A DANSEUR - if i've got the title correctly.

Thanks, Cristian, for that lovingly detailed review. Have you made it to any other performances down in Miami?

(...) Was anyone at the Kravis? What was it like?

I couldn't go to the Kravis, due to tight work schedule :) . I would have loved to go and see Hayna Gutierrez doing Giselle. I'm very curious as why isn't she still signed with any major ballet company, neither her partner Blanco-(their pal Domitro recently signed as a Principal with SFB). Anyway, I'm planning to go to tonight's performance at the Carnival Center, "The Etoiles Grand Gala",after work. The recipient of this year’s “ A Life for Dance” Lifetime Achievement Award, which is given every year to a Grand Star, is Frederick Franklin, as a well deserved homage to his amazing life as a dancer, choreographer, ballet director and premier danseur with the Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo. :bow:

Here are some of the companies participating:

StaatsBallett Berlin, Germany

Stuttgart Ballet International Guest Artists, Germany

Slovene National Ballet, Slovenia

The Royal Ballet, England

Paris Opera Ballet, France

Florence Opera Ballet, Italy

Nacho Duato Compañia Nacional de Danza, Spain

Ballet do Theatro Municipal do Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Royal Winnipeg Ballet, Canada

National companies participating:

San Francisco Ballet, USA