This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

not a quiz, just some data for a Kshessinska gala

the following, taken from a very handsomely produced recent book (Art Deco, 2007) about Mathilda Felixovna Kshessinska is my 'translation' (and first-name guesses) for the cast of characters and dancers that performed on a gala performance celebrating Kshessinska's 20th anniv. on the imperial stages. (if anyone knows any more likely first name for any of the dancers about whom i've guessed below [see question marks], i'm eager to learn them):

Gala/Benefit?

Celebrating 20 years of M.F.Kshessinska on the imperial stage.

13 February 1911

PROGRAM

• DON QUIXOTE (a suite of the Minkus/Gorsky production) with MFK as Kitri and N. Legat as Basil in a suite(?) arrangement of Act 1

• PAQUITA – a truncation of Petipa’s staging with music credit to Delvedez, with secondary credit to Minkus, and Drigo

1) Contradanse – Evgenia Makhotina, Aleksandr Medalinsky, Pavel? Petrov [this number is unknown to me]

2) Mazurka – Children of the Theater School

3) Pas de Deux – (by Legat to music of Kadlets) – MFK and Legat

4) Grand Pas – Julie Sedova, Tamara Karsavina, Liubov Egorova, Agrippina Vaganova, Elena Lukom, Elizaveta Gerdt, Maria Romanova, Maria Porokhovnikova, Lydia? Karpakova, Olga? Yakovleva (2), Galia? Bolshakova, Evgenia? Legat, Evgenia? Lopukhova, Sofia? Fedorova (2), & Pavel Gerdt.

• FIAMETTA suite? (St. Leon/Minkus/Petipa/Ivanov)

1) Fiametta – MFK

2) [Molari] Tutor [and guardian to the Count] – P. Gerdt

3) Count Sternhold - Legat

4) Cupid – T. Karsavina

5) Martini [servant to the Count] – T. Stukolkin

I should think your guess about Lopukova is correct. Evgenia Lopukova was Lydia Lopukova's older sister, and like all the children in that family joined the Mariinsky company. Evgenia appeared as a corps de ballet dancer in Diaghilev's first Paris season, but by the time Lydia was invited to take part in the 1910 season, Evgenia had married a young engineering student, according to Judith Mackrell's biography of Lydia, but she continued dancing, eventually giving up classical ballet for musical comedy.