This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Alternative Pas de deux

:P:angry2::wub: Share with us details of Alternative Pas de deux you have seen and like.

I will start the list with a very enchanting Pas de deux from Le Corsair In ABT's version (in the Grotto scene), after the famous Pas de trois, there follows a beautiful romantic PDD danced on the DVD by Ethan Stiefel and Julie Kent, it preceeds the drugged flower episode. It is full of spectactular lifts, tenderness, and the most magical expressive music. It is not in the Kirov version, so may have been an addition by Konstantin Sergeyev the choreographer(after Petipa) Although not in the league of the famous, it is most definately a strong contender to be my favourite. :bow: You can see a video of this on YouTube under American Ballet Julie Kent Ethan Stieful, in the Entertainment Section - Ballet. The music is from the Grand Pas in Drigo's Ballet, The Awakening of Flora. Do look it up, I am sure you will like it.

The pdd between Tatiana and her husband, Prince Gremin, in the 3rd act of Onegin: a lovely dance between 2 people who are deeply committed to each other. This in contrast to the overwhelming passionate pdds between Tatiana and Onegin. Gremin wins!

Giannina

I love the pas de deux (with scarf) from Mark Morris's Sylvia. It tells a story within a story; the whole adagio is governed by Cupid, who's placed Sylvia behind a veil, and there's a dramatic build as Aminta gains confidence in the hope that she is indeed Sylvia, which is confirmed when she reveals herself.

(THere are lots of poses in which he supports her but the scarf is between them, and a lovely moment in which the scarf threads out between his fingers). The imagery is striking, fresh, and beautiful. His solo is overwhelmingly joyous and wonderfully difficult, with a virtuoso pirouette that dives into a renverse and comes around hte corner spectacularly; hers is piquant and brilliant, and the coda is delicious. It ought to excerpt well. And of course, the music is wonderful.

:P:angry2::wub: Share with us details of Alternative Pas de deux you have seen and like.

I will start the list with a very enchanting Pas de deux from Le Corsair In ABT's version (in the Grotto scene), after the famous Pas de trois, there follows a beautiful romantic PDD danced on the DVD by Ethan Stiefel and Julie Kent, it preceeds the drugged flower episode. It is full of spectactular lifts, tenderness, and the most magical expressive music. It is not in the Kirov version, so may have been an addition by Konstantin Sergeyev the choreographer(after Petipa) Although not in the league of the famous, it is most definately a strong contender to be my favourite. :bow:

Actually, the Pas in Corsaire actually was choreographed (unless I misunderstood your inference) by Petipa... If you never saw Baryshnikov do it you can either check out the "Turning Point", a ballet film from about 1977, or you can check out his variation here at this link below: As for myself, this was the version that I always did (until the body said no more! :>)

http://www.mydanceclip.com/video/1290/mikh...-as-le-corsaire

:beg::beg::flowers: Share with us details of Alternative Pas de deux you have seen and like.

I will start the list with a very enchanting Pas de deux from Le Corsair In ABT's version (in the Grotto scene), after the famous Pas de trois, there follows a beautiful romantic PDD danced on the DVD by Ethan Stiefel and Julie Kent, it preceeds the drugged flower episode. It is full of spectactular lifts, tenderness, and the most magical expressive music. It is not in the Kirov version, so may have been an addition by Konstantin Sergeyev the choreographer(after Petipa) Although not in the league of the famous, it is most definately a strong contender to be my favourite. :bow: You can see a video of this on YouTube under American Ballet Julie Kent Ethan Stieful, in the Entertainment Section - Ballet. The music is from the Grand Pas in Drigo's Ballet, The Awakening of Flora. Do look it up, I am sure you will like it.

Hi Jemil, I think you have misread what I was referring to, from what I could see (the video would not play well) was in fact surely the Slaves variation from the famous pas de trios (deux as per Nureyev) what I am talking about is not in the original Petipa version as danced by the Kirov, it is an addition, using music as I have added to the orginal post, etc.

if i read the CORSAIRE post correctly, it's not the one Baryshnikov dances in THE TURNING POINT, i.e. the number famous from innumerable galas and ballet competitions, the the one for Medora costumed in what Karsavina would call her 'chemise' (vs. the taraltans), is little seen outside the full production and is likely touched up a good bit by Soviet hands, including those of K. Sergeyev.

additionally, it has recently been discovered with much careful study that the 'gala' pas de deux (a trois), was first shown in a production of LE CORSAIRE in 1913, after Petipa's death. It was apparently arranged by Samuil Andreanov (the Conrad of this production) with Karsavina as his Medora and Anatole Oukhov as the nameless (nowadays often called Ali) slave. there is discussion of this, including the music, which is not by Adam. (to the best of my knowledge, the duet for Medora in her chemise and Conrad before the drugged flower sequence was never part of Baryshnikov's repertory.)

:clapping:

if i read the CORSAIRE post correctly, it's not the one Baryshnikov dances in THE TURNING POINT, i.e. the number famous from innumerable galas and ballet competitions, the the one for Medora costumed in what Karsavina would call her 'chemise' (vs. the taraltans), is little seen outside the full production and is likely touched up a good bit by Soviet hands, including those of K. Sergeyev.

additionally, it has recently been discovered with much careful study that the 'gala' pas de deux (a trois), was first shown in a production of LE CORSAIRE in 1913, after Petipa's death. It was apparently arranged by Samuil Andreanov (the Conrad of this production) with Karsavina as his Medora and Anatole Oukhov as the nameless (nowadays often called Ali) slave. there is discussion of this, including the music, which is not by Adam. (to the best of my knowledge, the duet for Medora in her chemise and Conrad before the drugged flower sequence was never part of Baryshnikov's repertory.)

:P Cheers RQ , I think you have got it right, it is where Medora wears her chemise, in the Kirov version that is recorded with Aslmuratova, K. Zak. etc, the Pas de deux I mean is not included, the bed etc is, but the music is differently arranged. The version I refer to is ABT with Ethan Stieful, Julie Kent, Angel Corr Julie Kent. and Malk. Paloma Herr. The music is by Drigo, possibly taken from The Awakening of Flora. See it on YouTube under American Ballet. Le Corsaire has been added to so much over the years, it is a shame that this magnificent Pas de deux, has sadly been neglected, maybe it is because it is quite short. The famous Pas de Trois has over shadowed it. I do not see why it cannot stand up in a Gala, in it's own right. After all Spring Waters has and does.

:clapping::thumbsup: A new discovery over the last two days, I have just received my copy of Roland Petit's ballet Proust, with the Paris Opera Ballet, there are two quite remarkable pas de deux, that I liked very much, the first is called "watching her sleep" danced by Eleanora Abb. and Herve Moreau, it is really beautiful, and the other "The Angels" danced by Stephane Buillon and Matieu Ganio, a male pas de deux, the costumes leave no space for hiding, it is truly fantastic to see the two beautiful young men, their physique, complete unison of movement and expressiveness as they dance the clever choreography. It may be a little risque for some people but otherwise

truly impressive.

A favorite of mine was "Awakening", a Robert Weiss pas de deux for Kirkland and Baryshnikov, later danced with success by a number of Pennsylvania Ballet dancers. It made the male dancer look consistently good, but was very hard on the ballerina unless she could look like her torso was made of spring steel!

Here is some more for you to think about, just recently reminded on YouTube.

Jerome Robbins " In the Night ", Pas de deux, full of lovely lifts and expression, danced by Aurelie Dupont and Laurent Hilaire in this clip. from about 2003 at the POB. Very interesting as this was one of the works Aurelie was cast to dance recently after returning from the birth of Jacques her baby son(in late May). I am not sure who her partner was to be for these performances. An after thought, her costume for this was really equisite The shades of the under layers of the skirt were beautiful shades of red and orange, highlighted by the split on the top layer. However, being very critical it would have been more appropriate with the theme of night, if it had been dark blue, and shades of pink and orange, to reflect dusk, dawn and the night sky, had I been the designer!! :clapping::P

Thanks, Nanarina, for that reminder about the Robbins. Here's the Link to the Dupont/Hilaire performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QeICzfIe0E

It's so beautifully done. Dupont's restraint and the classicial control of both dancers control make the emotional content much more powerful for men. When it was danced by Patricia McBride at NYCB for the premiere season, it was somehow more outwardly expressive and even melodramatic. The end, when the woman performs that strange obeisance at the man's feet, was really something! McBride really was wrung out by that time.

I've put it on my list of Favorite PDDs of Neurotic Love.

Violette Verdy can be seen coaching Elisabeth Platel and Nicolas Le Riche in another of the In The Night pdds on the dvd Violette and Mr. B.

:thumbsup: Hi Bart, I am so glad yoiu remembered "In the Night" thank you for the link. I really like Aurelie Dupont, only wish I could see her dance live. But every time I have booked POB performances, thinking I was going to see her, it has not worked out, I will try again in February 2009, with the Lifar/Petit/ e and hopefully Onegin later. I wish the POB would record some of the mixed bills properly on DVD.

Nanarina:

I have actually seen this pdd done by ABT during its City Center season about 4 years ago, and I think it was scheduled for a opening night gala once too. I seem to remember Irina & Max being scheduled to dance it. I also know one other company that included it in a short 'suite' from the full-length.

Hello Everyone, how are you? I hope you are well and still enjoying your Ballet.

Here are some more Pas de deux I love :wub: How about all of you? Most can be found on YouTube Entertainment, under the Dancers names and/or Ballet in question. Why dont you have a look and see what you think.

Scene en blanc Lifer/Lalo) The Adagio, danced by Aurelie Dupont and Manuel Legris. I love this ballet, with it's technical brilliance, and precision. The music is also very expressive in it's own way (Nourmoura ballet music Suite 1 & 2). Aurelie Dupont is so lovely, very musical every step port de bras, or moivement performed with feeling and grace. Look out for the way she squeeces his shoulders at the end, as he is sitting on the stage. Manuel Legris is such a supportive partner, Aurelie has mentioned in the past, how careful he is, when they perform together, to look after the knee she injured very seriosly, and nearly ruined her career, some years ago.

Scherezade, Pas de deux Adagio, Zobiede and The Golden Slave, Marinsky prodution, with Principle Dancer Igor Kolg and Coryphee Jiyeon Ryu (Ti Yon Ryu). This talented Dancer, is the only foreigner in the Company, I think she could be Korean, as the excert is filmed at a Gala in Seoul South Korea. Her style of dancing is equisite, both performers putting their emotion and a very exotic portrayel

into their roles. I should think this lovely young woman has a great future ahead of her. :toot:

This brings me on to George Balachine, firstly his Pas de deux for Sylvia, in particular the male variation, The Tchaikovsky Pas de deux, where he uses some un-used music from Swan Lake. In addition the 2nd Act, Pas de deux from A Midsummers Night Dream. Also Stars and Stripes, P.D.D full of fun and to Sousa's music. Finally last but not least, the Diamonds P.D.D from Jewels. A recent DVD with the Paris Opera, where Jean Guill. Bart performs it still comes through pure and true. Jean G.B. reminds me very much of former Balanchine NYCB Principals, he has achieved the style perfectly.Agnes Letescu is his partner, although she is a very good technician, she does not quite fit into the Balanchine style, I am very sorry to say. I do sometimes find personally she under presents herself.

I cannot finish this posting without mentioning Antony Tudors The leaves are Fading(Music Dvorak) Adagio. I can remember a Gala where Altynai Aslymuratova and her husband Konstatin Zaklinsky, danced this pas de deux. There was also a production at the ABT where I think it was John Gardner danced it with his wife Amanda Mc Kerrow. However, the musical arrangement of Dvorak's music for the second version did not compare with the first one played by The Kirov Orchestra. as it failed in the romanric and sumptous string sections.

I am very eagerly looking forward to ABT's upcoming performances of The Flames of Paris pdd. I find it very charming and not yet done to death.

Carbro :lol: I have heard the music to Flames of Paris Pas de deux, on a Bolshoi CD I have in my music collection. It is very impressive. However, is this the same as the Esmeralda P.D.D. ? I used to have this on an old Video, taken at a Gala performance in the Business Exhibition Centre, when the Bolshoi came to London a very long time ago. This was very lovely , sensitive leading from Esmeralda's sadness into happiness when she dances with a tambourine. Are we talking about the same Ballet, or am I on a totally different wave length?

Another suggestion Anyuta (Choreography Vasiliev) danced by himself and Ekaterina Maximove, can be seen on the DVD Essential Ballet, staged at Covent Garden and in Red Square, Moscow. Plus the Leaves are fading(Tudor) on the same DvD Altynai Asl. and her husband Konstatin Zaklinsky.