This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

From the article,

Kaatsbaan will continue to seek ways to fulfill its mission under any appropriate arrangement.

I hope that's possible, that they can find a suitable facility. It's a lovely building, to judge from the photo. What a shame to lose it!

I expect we'll be seeing more stories of this nature in the coming months and years. Sad and scary.

From the article,
Kaatsbaan will continue to seek ways to fulfill its mission under any appropriate arrangement.

I hope that's possible, that they can find a suitable facility. It's a lovely building, to judge from the photo. What a shame to lose it!

I expect we'll be seeing more stories of this nature in the coming months and years. Sad and scary.

Yes, Kaatsbaan is quite lovely. My daughter was blessed to spend two summers at their intensive, and absolutely loved it. The facilities and grounds are beautiful. What a shame it will be if it goes under. :icon8:

Thanks, DoaD.

Hope lives:

Despite the recent move by Kaatsbaan dance center officials to put their 100-acre property on the open market, Bard spokesman Mark Primoff said it is still too early to write-off the college’s attempts to purchase the property. Primoff said the ball is in Kaatsbaan’s court.

“I would consider it unlikely that we’re going to come to the same type of agreement that we began negotiating toward,” Primoff said. “But that doesn’t close the door on any other possibilities that come along in the future.”

I know Greg and Bentley, and have visited Kaatsbaan -- before it opened, when they started working on the property.

They moved to Dutchess County from a smaller facility in Ulster County in 1996 or 1998. Greg and Bentley are the most determined and persistent people I have ever met, and are totally dedicated to dance. I hope that this latest obstacle doesn't stop them. the dance world really needs them and Kaatsbaan.

They need more good people on their side, fighting and supporting them. The Bard deal would be ideal, but if it falls through..... I have the confidence that they will fight on.

Update from the latest Kaatsbaan mailer:

The New York State Supreme Court of Appeals ruled unanimously on December 15, 2009 in favor of Kaatsbaan International Dance Center and against Rondack Construction Services and its appeal, reaffirming an earlier judicial decision by the Appellate Court for Kaatsbaan in November 2008. The ruling restores ownership to Kaatsbaan of the conservation easement that was sold to a neighbor's LLC by the Duchess County Sheriff's Department in a highly disputed auction in September 2006. The easement borders Tivoli Bays and includes 11 acres of beautiful Hudson River frontage.