This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Sight Lines at the Kennedy Center Eisenhower Theatre?my kingdom for a decent view of the Suzanne Farrell Ballet...

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#16 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,421 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 04:13 AM

Hi, Juliet! I thoroughly enjoyed three -- count 'em, three -- FREE ballet programs at the KC Ike Theater this past Saturday afternoon. I expected the grace and beauty of the final all-Balanchine program by the Washington Ballet (Runqiao Du elegant as Apollo + nice Tzigane and Clarinade). No surprises there.

I was pleasantly surprised by the first group on view, the Nevada Ballet Theater, featuring a delightful concert version of Who Cares? (I care. Who was that charismatic and musical male soloist who had everyone abuzz? Dancers not announced; no playbills.) The Balanchine was preceded by an Arpino-ish 'floaty' ballet in aquamarine, James Canfield's Equinox.

Following Nevada, we were totally bowled over by the second and most amazing troupe, Aspen/Santa Fe Ballet, which received, no doubt about it, the loudest and wildest standing-o of the afternoon, following their energetically acrobatic rendition of Elo's First Flash to Sibelius' Violin Concerto. Astonishing. Earlier, they had warmed up the audience with Tharp's Sinatra Suite and Arpino's Light Rain pdd. (Again - the names of the wonderful dancers were not announced.) I would gladly PAY a mint to see that performance again; to think that it was all FREE. Thank you, Kennedy Center!

p.s. to add: I've checked the Nevada Ballet website and am guessing that the charismatic male lead in Who Cares? was Zeb Nole.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):