This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Stella Abrera

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 Kaysta

Kaysta

• PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 11:13 AM

Now that Stella is dancing a Giselle and Cinderella, maybe there really is hope for her promotion this year.  

#62 abatt

abatt

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,589 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 08:08 AM

Stella will appear tonight and tomorrow night at the Joyce theater in New York City with Emery LeCrone Dance Company.  Also appearing with the LeCrone Company will be Russell Janzen (NYCB), Hammoudi (ABT) and STephanie Williams (ABT). 

Stephanie Williams is a late addition, filling in for Sara Mearns.  (Per Mearns' twitter account, she has withdrawn from these performances with the LeCrone company.) 

#63 kbarber

kbarber

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 06:50 AM

Mearns came down with altitude sickness in Vail on the weekend.

#64 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 07:21 AM

Mearns came down with altitude sickness in Vail on the weekend.

And she seems to have flown in just a day or two beforehand, judging from her Tweets. A year ago, Daniel Ulbricht Tweeted that the altitude hit him like a ton of bricks. I wonder how much guidance the Vail staff gives dancers about altitude adjustment. Vail is 8,000+! Denver is 5280. I'm acclimated to Denver, but when I go to Vail, I feel dizzy and light-headed for a couple of days. The dancers are athletes, of course, but it impacts even them.

I'm told that professional sports teams (baseball, football, hockey, basketball) try to arrive a couple of days early, schedules permitting, to adjust. And there's a reason there are so many training facilities in Colorado -- figure skating, Olympic training - it's like legal blood-doping to adjust to altitude. People underestimate the impact of altitude (e.g., President Obama in his first debate here in 2012).

#65 kbarber

kbarber

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 07:34 AM

apparently they do have oxygen backstage (VIDF posted a pic of the tanks on their instagram). also I noticed my hotel in Vail had a whole page of instructions on preventing altitude sickness. I am sure the Vail people do not overlook telling their dancers about it.

Coming from Toronto, I certainly noticed that I was short of breath and my heart was pounding on the slightest uphill walk (and this despite the fact that I walk and bike a lot at home).   I was amazed that the dancers could leap about energetically apparently without effort, as if they were back home at sea level in NYC.

#66 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,513 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 07:35 AM

When I went to bike camp in Colorado, I couldn't climb six stairs without being winded. I told one of the instructors that I wished I had come a few days earlier to acclimate, and I was told I would have had to come a few weeks earlier, and the other instructors agreed. These were serious athletes (or had been), at the same level of condition as dancers.

That's why they have oxygen tanks in the wings.

#67 abatt

abatt

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,589 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 07:43 AM

Back to Stella- she and Hammoudi looked terrific last night dancing with the Emery LeCrone company.  I have not been a Hammoudi fan in the past, but he  did an excellent job with his solos and partnering work.  Stella was sublime.  I was less enthusiastic about Williams and Janzen, but in fairness, I suspect they had very little rehearsal time together since Williams was a very last minute replacement to this program. 

#68 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 07:45 AM

Stella posted some very nice photos on Instagram: https://instagram.co...laabreradetsky/

#69 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,513 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 07:46 AM

They could give any number of instructions that dancers and civilians can follow, but if the body doesn't acclimate on demand, the instructions are only worth the paper they're printed on.

#70 Barbara

Barbara

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 08:49 AM

I love to see the intermingling of the NYCB and ABT dancers on these smaller projects. And it seems to me they're doing more of it than in the past. Must be fun for all concerned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):