This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Stella Abrera

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#16 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 05:12 PM

Stella's bio on ABT.org notes that she'll be appearing in Le Corsaire and Giselle, but apparently not as Medora or Gulnare nor Giselle or Myrta, all of whom are billed on ABT's Calendar.

That's strange because the bios usually include only the ballets in which the individual has a principal role. Maybe they are old links that had dates that were removed. I have no ideas why the link would still be there but that's a possibility.

#17 SanderO

SanderO

Silver Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 04:08 AM

Would it be out of bounds to simply call ABT and ask what's up?

#18 angelica

angelica

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 06:12 PM

It's certainly worth a try. How would one call ABT? Does anyone have a telephone number that doesn't go through the Metropolitan Opera House? I'd be willing to make the call.

Angelica

#19 angelica

angelica

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 06:18 PM

It's certainly worth a try. How would one call ABT? Does anyone have a telephone number that doesn't go through the Metropolitan Opera House? I'd be willing to make the call.

Angelica

Okay, I found the telephone number. I will call them during office hours on Monday or Tuesday and will report back for anyone who is interested.
Angelica

#20 Goldfish17

Goldfish17

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:19 PM

Angelica

Okay, I found the telephone number. I will call them during office hours on Monday or Tuesday and will report back for anyone who is interested.
Angelica

This is very strange, indeed. Angelica, please let us know if you find out something.

#21 angelica

angelica

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 05:10 PM

Angelica

Angelica

This is very strange, indeed. Angelica, please let us know if you find out something.

Okay, everyone--Stella is back!! I saw her in the dress rehearsal at Avery Fisher Hall last Wednesday in the new Ratmansky ballet. She was exquisite! I couldn't take my eyes off her! I hope so much that 2010 will be the year in which she dances the title role in Giselle. WELCOME BACK, STELLA!
Angelica

#22 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,885 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 07:03 AM

Stella is definitely back. She performed the new Ratmansky ballet on opening night at AFH. She looked wonderful and gave a lyrical, beautiful performance. I also saw her in the audience during an intermission at Saturday's performance w. her husband Sascha Radetsky. Quite a striking couple.

#23 angelica

angelica

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 01:17 PM

Stella Abrera is back! And she is dancing magnificently! Please, ABT, promote her to principal dancer! I can't get enough of her! Also Sascha! angelica

#24 lostinspace

lostinspace

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 11:30 PM

Stella Abrera is back! And she is dancing magnificently! Please, ABT, promote her to principal dancer! I can't get enough of her! Also Sascha! angelica

stella danced in place of veronica part at abt's friday evening performance of don quixote. she danced a small dual role, and performed well.

#25 Colleen Boresta

Colleen Boresta

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:14 AM

I will definitely join the band wagon re:making Matvienko an ABT principal who will return every year at least to the Met. Angelica, I wish I knew Kevin McKenzie or someone on the board of ABT so I could bring up the question of why Stella is not a principal. Unfortunately I'm just a ballet lover like all of us and I don't know anyone at ABT. I am not very knowledgeable about all the social media out there, but could we conduct a facebook campaign or something? Doesn't ABT have a facebook page? I'm sure they do. It's just a thought. Maybe some facebook savy Ballet Talk posters out there could tell us the best way to conduct a make Stella Abrera a principal at ABT campaign.

#26 angelica

angelica

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:25 AM

I will definitely join the band wagon re:making Matvienko an ABT principal who will return every year at least to the Met. Angelica, I wish I knew Kevin McKenzie or someone on the board of ABT so I could bring up the question of why Stella is not a principal. Unfortunately I'm just a ballet lover like all of us and I don't know anyone at ABT. I am not very knowledgeable about all the social media out there, but could we conduct a facebook campaign or something? Doesn't ABT face a facebook page? I'm sure they do. It's just a thought. Maybe some facebook savy Ballet Talk posters out there could tell us the best way to conduct a make Stella Abrera a principal at ABT campaign.

I don't know how to do this either, Colleen, but I'm hoping that Stella gets to dance the title role when ABT presents Giselle next spring. I've tried asking people in the membership office (the closest I've been able to get to the administrative side) and been told that it's Keviin McKenzie himself who makes all the artistic decisions. Admittedly, Stella was cast as Giselle in a Wednesday matinee performance a few years ago but got injured and had to withdraw. A cruel twist of fate. But she's back at the top of her game now, and her time has come.

#27 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,885 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:30 AM

Sadly, I think Stella's time for promotion has passed. Not sure of her age, but I assume it is about 33? Promotions usually happen by age 30. I think her severe back injury, which caused her to be out for so long, ruined her chances. Once they see that you have sustained a serious injury which has a likelihood of recurring, they are unllikely to consider promotion. I think that is why she is not given many lead roles, but continues to do the same secondary roles in the full length ballets that she has been doing for years. They tend to give the lead roles to soloists who they are testing out for potential promotion. Based on that, I think Boylston is likely to be the next female principal at ABT, in perhaps a year. Related to this is also the timing of Kent's retirement, which she seems to be putting off for as long as possible.

#28 mimsyb

mimsyb

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:37 AM

Sadly, I think Stella's time for promotion has passed. Not sure of her age, but I assume it is about 33? Promotions usually happen by age 30. I think her severe back injury, which caused her to be out for so long, ruined her chances. Once they see that you have sustained a serious injury which has a likelihood of recurring, they are unllikely to consider promotion. I think that is why she is not given many lead roles, but continues to do the same secondary roles in the full length ballets that she has been doing for years.

Well, that's just crazy. All dancers get injured. It comes with the territory. ABT has seen it's share of injured personal. To deny promotion based on that criteria is nuts. There maybe is some other reason? One has only to look at how she's dancing so far this season to understand she is most definitely of principle caliber.

#29 angelica

angelica

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:21 AM

Sadly, I think Stella's time for promotion has passed. Not sure of her age, but I assume it is about 33? Promotions usually happen by age 30. I think her severe back injury, which caused her to be out for so long, ruined her chances. Once they see that you have sustained a serious injury which has a likelihood of recurring, they are unllikely to consider promotion. I think that is why she is not given many lead roles, but continues to do the same secondary roles in the full length ballets that she has been doing for years.

Well, that's just crazy. All dancers get injured. It comes with the territory. ABT has seen it's share of injured personal. To deny promotion based on that criteria is nuts. There maybe is some other reason? One has only to look at how she's dancing so far this season to understand she is most definitely of principle caliber.

I totally agree, mimsyb. And didn't Veronika Part wait a long time for her promotion to Principal. Does anyone know how old she was when she was given Principal Dancer status?

#30 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,885 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:43 AM

I think Part was about 29 or 30 when she was promoted. She was never out for a long period of time due to a substantial injury during her soloist years at ABT, to my recollection. Steady wins the race, as they say.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):