This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Stella Abrera

angelica

Does anyone know what is happening with Stella Abrera? She was supposed to dance her first Giselle with ABT during this past season, but I understand that she never got to do that because she was injured and was out for the remainder of the season. I don't see her name in the casting for the fall season in New York. Is she going to be all right? I hope so because I fell in love with her the year before when she danced the Lilac Fairy in Sleeping Beauty. I said to my husband "Next year she is going to be a principal," and I even bought a pair of her autographed pointe shoes. I am concerned for her. I hope she is getting the best possible care and is going to dance again.

Angelica

Does anyone know what is happening with Stella Abrera? She was supposed to dance her first Giselle with ABT during this past season, but I understand that she never got to do that because she was injured and was out for the remainder of the season. I don't see her name in the casting for the fall season in New York. Is she going to be all right? I hope so because I fell in love with her the year before when she danced the Lilac Fairy in Sleeping Beauty. I said to my husband "Next year she is going to be a principal," and I even bought a pair of her autographed pointe shoes. I am concerned for her. I hope she is getting the best possible care and is going to dance again.

Angelica

Stella is married to Sascha Radetsky, who recently left the company to dance in Europe. I would not be shocked if she, too, left ABT to join her husband in Europe. Stella and Sascha were both still on the ABT webite as soloist members last time I checked. I like Stella, so I'll be unhappy if she has left.

I just learned of the departure of Sascha from ABT. I am sure his wife will be leaving as well. That's a real loss for NY ballet lovers. Both of them were terrific.

How 'bout some good news?

Thanks so much for the heads-up. Yes, it is a great loss for those of us in New York, especially people like myself who have JUST gotten to know her dancing and fallen in love with her. But at least she isn't injured. That was my primary concern. I love Sascha too. Does anyone know what company they'll be joining/have joined? I wonder if they left to dance principal roles. They are certainly more than capable. I hope it's a company that comes to NY and we will we see them dance again. Otherwise I might have to go to Europe--it would be worth the trip.

Angelica

There is also a nice group photo of all the new company members on the Dutch National Website. I think that married dancers often dance with different companies it is not unusual.

I've just received the subscription brochure for ABT's Spring season at the Met in NYC, and I see that Stella Abrera is once again scheduled to dance Giselle at a Wednesday matinee (June 10th). Last year she was pulled from the schedule at the last minute. In the current brochure she isn't scheduled to dance in any other ballets the entire season. Can anyone provide a heads-up on her? I would LOVE to see her dance Giselle. But I don't want to buy tickets for that date and find that she isn't dancing.

Someone told me that Sascha Radetsky, Stella's husband, has joined the Royal Ballet. Is that true? Might Stella remain in Europe and come back to ABT for guest performances?

Thanks for any light people can shed on this magnificent couple.

angelica

I've just received the subscription brochure for ABT's Spring season at the Met in NYC, and I see that Stella Abrera is once again scheduled to dance Giselle at a Wednesday matinee (June 10th). Last year she was pulled from the schedule at the last minute. In the current brochure she isn't scheduled to dance in any other ballets the entire season.

angelica

I have absolutely no insight into ABT casting, but there are some ballets TBA. Also only casting for principal roles are announced. It is possible that Stella will appear in soloist roles e.g. pas de trois in Swan Lake or peasant pas in Giselle.

I am one of those people who wishes ABT would announce fuller casting, not just principals.

Personally I'd love to see her get a shot at Mozartiana

"I am one of those people who wishes ABT would announce fuller casting, not just principals."

Yes, I quite agree. Also, I just received the spring subscription brochure and noticed, when I checked the web site, that sometimes casting listed as TBA in the brochure shows up on the web site as N. Osipova. I caught some clips of her doing Giselle on youtube, and she looks wonderful. But one has to cross-check to get the latest information. And, of course, casting is always subject to change, which can be very frustrating if you've picked performances according to the casting. angelica

Additional casting info. re smaller/soloist parts would be wonderful, but I'm very happy that we are getting advance information re principal casting. For full length ballets, which are the bread and butter of the ABT Met season, casting info is crucial to my decisions regarding which subscriptions to purchase. I think ABT's management realized that they could make a lot more income through early subscription sales if they publish the casting months in advance. Of course, there are always some changes, as we all know too well!

Additional casting info. re smaller/soloist parts would be wonderful, but I'm very happy that we are getting advance information re principal casting. For full length ballets, which are the bread and butter of the ABT Met season, casting info is crucial to my decisions regarding which subscriptions to purchase. I think ABT's management realized that they could make a lot more income through early subscription sales if they publish the casting months in advance. Of course, there are always some changes, as we all know too well!

Has anyone else besides me noticed the change in seating availability whereby ABT is allotting certain sections (e.g., Saturday night grand tier, orchestra prime, and center parterre) for 6-performance subscriptions rather than keeping them available for 4-performance subscriptions as well? Every day is an IQ test.

angelica

Hello all,

Last year Stella Abrera was scheduled to make her debut in Giselle at a Wednesday matinee of ABT. She was then taken off the schedule and didn't dance at all with ABT last season.

Now the same thing has happened again this year. She was scheduled to dance Giselle at the Wednesday matinee on June 10th, but I saw today on ABT's web site that Giselle will be danced at that performance by "TBA." I called the Met to confirm this, and was told that Stella is no longer scheduled to dance this season.

I love her dancing, and was so much looking forward to seeing her make her debut in a leading role. Does anyone know what happened?

Angelica

Stella's bio on ABT.org notes that she'll be appearing in Le Corsaire and Giselle, but apparently not as Medora or Gulnare nor Giselle or Myrta, all of whom are billed on ABT's Calendar.

That's strange because the bios usually include only the ballets in which the individual has a principal role. Maybe they are old links that had dates that were removed. I have no ideas why the link would still be there but that's a possibility.

Would it be out of bounds to simply call ABT and ask what's up?

It's certainly worth a try. How would one call ABT? Does anyone have a telephone number that doesn't go through the Metropolitan Opera House? I'd be willing to make the call.

Angelica

It's certainly worth a try. How would one call ABT? Does anyone have a telephone number that doesn't go through the Metropolitan Opera House? I'd be willing to make the call.

Angelica

Okay, I found the telephone number. I will call them during office hours on Monday or Tuesday and will report back for anyone who is interested.

Angelica

Angelica

Okay, I found the telephone number. I will call them during office hours on Monday or Tuesday and will report back for anyone who is interested.

Angelica

This is very strange, indeed. Angelica, please let us know if you find out something.

Angelica

Angelica

This is very strange, indeed. Angelica, please let us know if you find out something.

Okay, everyone--Stella is back!! I saw her in the dress rehearsal at Avery Fisher Hall last Wednesday in the new Ratmansky ballet. She was exquisite! I couldn't take my eyes off her! I hope so much that 2010 will be the year in which she dances the title role in Giselle. WELCOME BACK, STELLA!

Angelica

Stella is definitely back. She performed the new Ratmansky ballet on opening night at AFH. She looked wonderful and gave a lyrical, beautiful performance. I also saw her in the audience during an intermission at Saturday's performance w. her husband Sascha Radetsky. Quite a striking couple.

Stella Abrera is back! And she is dancing magnificently! Please, ABT, promote her to principal dancer! I can't get enough of her! Also Sascha! angelica

stella danced in place of veronica part at abt's friday evening performance of don quixote. she danced a small dual role, and performed well.

I will definitely join the band wagon re:making Matvienko an ABT principal who will return every year at least to the Met. Angelica, I wish I knew Kevin McKenzie or someone on the board of ABT so I could bring up the question of why Stella is not a principal. Unfortunately I'm just a ballet lover like all of us and I don't know anyone at ABT. I am not very knowledgeable about all the social media out there, but could we conduct a facebook campaign or something? Doesn't ABT have a facebook page? I'm sure they do. It's just a thought. Maybe some facebook savy Ballet Talk posters out there could tell us the best way to conduct a make Stella Abrera a principal at ABT campaign.