This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

What's taking place? Where? Why?

I'm surprised there have been no guesses from our experts on this one. My own thoughts about it included: (a) an olympic sprint for ciagrette girls, and possibly (b) a publicity photo for some sort of ballerina competition. Did the Rockettes ever wear pointe shoes? The ladies on the outside appear to be the "dark horses" of the group.

if i had a puzzler of a Giselle-related photo i'd post it.

as i've noted, this item is a oddity, but, whatever it is (or isn't) in terms of notable ballet theater, it remains somewhat remarkable to think that in 1938, Hollywood would send out a ballet-related item like this as a potential entertainment story to 'your city' - i don't imagine that such a 'promotion' would be sent out nowadays concerning ballet, and one of its choreographers, from Hollywood.

if i had a puzzler of a Giselle-related photo i'd post it.

as i've noted, this item is a oddity, but, whatever it is (or isn't) in terms of notable ballet theater, it remains somewhat remarkable to think that in 1938, Hollywood would send out a ballet-related item like this as a potential entertainment story to 'your city' - i don't imagine that such a 'promotion' would be sent out nowadays concerning ballet, and one of its choreographers, from Hollywood.

I think that it's part of Warner Brothers' mantra of the 1930s, "Motion Pictures are your best entertainment!" What was seen as good was accessibility. Somebody YOU know could be "in the movies". Movies were almost universally available to the public, if even in improvised venues. Movies represent "community interests", although a foot race was more a local Los Angeles enthusiasm which was waning by 1939, but still there, it having been started by the 1932 Olympics.

What a great athletic event!. :) But 3.9 seconds to run -- on pointe, on gress -- 25 yards??? :yucky: Congratultions to Virginia Hart. :thumbsup: I can certainly understand why "The girls believe the record will stand for a long time." :o

You REALLY have to wonder if a contemporary ballerina could break 3.9 seconds travelling 25 yards en pointe. Especially if the ballerina could wear a custom-fitted pair of Gaynor Minden pointe shoes, which are structurally built like a real athletic shoe.

off the ballet topic but onto Mel's about the 1930s and the athletics in the air, this trading? card from the 1936 Olympics shows four real sprinters, none on pointe.

Frank Wykoff (USA), Paul Hanni (Switzerland), Ralph Metcalfe (USA), and Jesse Owens (USA).

post-848-1219619572_thumb.jpg