This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Dancers who have defectedWho are they all?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 04:02 PM

The film "Born to be Wild" showed Jose Carreno visiting his family and partying in Cuba. It implied that he has a certain freedom to come and go between the US & Cuba. I'm curious about this.

#17 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,269 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 04:30 PM

Let's not forget that Carreno lives and works in NYC, far from the old Cuban-based politically invaded Miami. It's not a secret either that McKenzie has a personal friendship with Alonso, and that Mme. is best friends with Castro. The math can't be easier.

#18 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,345 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 08:44 AM

I thought the equation for Cuba was whether Alonso had given her blessing to perform abroad, however indefintely. Those to whom she didn't give her blessing were defectors, unable to return home.

#19 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,269 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 09:06 AM

I thought the equation for Cuba was whether Alonso had given her blessing to perform abroad, however indefintely. Those to whom she didn't give her blessing were defectors, unable to return home.

The equation certainly contains that factor, but the fact that Mme. had tight links with Lucia Chase and de Valois in the past and now with McKenzie, also plays a key role..(that's how she can go over Constitutional laws, and Carreno has the freedom that we don't have to come and go between the two countries). This doesn't apply to Acosta, thought.

#20 innopac

innopac

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 03:04 AM

Isn't that Istvan Rabovsky?

You are right. When he became a soloist in Hungary he was advised to change his name from Rabovsky as it was not Hungarian. So he became Istvan Rab. When Rabovsky escaped to the West he changed his name back to his real family name.

#21 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,269 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 07:55 AM

Catherine Suaznabar-Principal @ Maurice Bejart's B.of the XXth Century

#22 4mrdncr

4mrdncr

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 07:46 PM

John Wey Ling in Jackson, Mississippi, 1982.

Alexandra Koltun and Janna Sinitsyna, in Washington, 1991.

Alberto Alonso (New Mexico?) c 1993.

Leonid and Valentina Kozlov, Los Angeles, 1979.

The articles that I saw said that Rolando Sarabia defected by going from Mexico into Texas in 2005?

I remember much of the above--Alexandra Koltun danced with BB, I saw the Kozlovs in LA, and I,too, remember reading that Rolando Sarabia defected by walking across a bridge from Mexico into the U.S.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):