This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Corella Ballet Castilla León

Yesterday there was a Gala in La Granja to present the company with authorities and Spanish stars attending.

If you want to see how the new company members look like: Corella Ballet dancers at the Company presentation Gala, July 9, 2008

Performances are schedulled for tomorrow and Saturday and I can't wait to be there :wink:

We'll keep you posted :P

Published in this article in Spanish (Photo by EFE agency)

Despite a deluge with lightning, then watching Angel, Keith Roberts (there to set "...Upper Room"), 2 principal dancers and the stage crew mop, sqeegy, & blow-dry the outdoor stage, only to get rained on immediately once more (actually it was another deluge), and freezing nights causing the resultant condensation to ice the stage...the show did go on: Both July 11th and 12th Corella Ballet performed Tippet's "Bruch Violin Concerto", Welch's "Clear", and Tharp's "Upper Room" to a sold out (if now thawed out) audience. CarolinaM, photographer Jesus Vallinas lending his expertise, Cynthia Harvey, and some former ABT colleagues were all in attendance. So was I.

As Carolina, and numerous Spanish newsmagazines and newspapers have posted, Angel arrived home in Spain on the 9th to attend a Presentation Gala of the Company that night, had one day with his Company to rehearse and fine-tune what they had achieved during the 6wks he was away performing with ABT at the Met, and then, despite a rainy day and cold nights, performed Friday & Saturday. Angel, himself, only danced in "Clear" but of course was always present to comment, coach, and encourage his brave dancers.

(David Richardsen was also present to set "Bruch..." and personally, his assurance that the rain would stop was (I think) the only reason the rain gods finally complied)

BRAVO, BRAVA, BRAVI to all.

My brain is rather jetlagged--only averaged 1-3hrs sleep a night in Spain, and none before arriving home late last night--so will post more later. Those interested in the Spanish press reviews, and interviews conducted the Thursday prior to the performances, can google "Angel Corella La Granja" and probably pull something up. If I was more technologically savvy, I'd post a link in the Links forum--so apologies to all for now.

I want to thank 4mrdncr for calling our attention to a new article, by Julie Kavanagh, on Corella's company. Entitled "Lift Off," it's in the summer 2008 issue of Intelligent Life. A slightly edited version appears in the on-line MoreIntelligentLife.com.

Here's the on-line version:

http://www.moreintelligentlife.com/story/lift-off

Kavanagh visited the company in last April. She talks about the background and future plans of the company, and pays them a visit during a rehearsal and while a photoshoot is in process. 4mrdncr was actually there with her video camera! :wink:

Corella's also on the cover of the August/September Pointe Magazine.

I want to thank 4mrdncr for calling our attention to a new article, by Julie Kavanagh, on Corella's company. Entitled "Lift Off," it's in the summer 2008 issue of Intelligent Life. A slightly edited version appears in the on-line MoreIntelligentLife.com.

Here's the on-line version:

http://www.moreintelligentlife.com/story/lift-off

Kavanagh visited the company in last April. She talks about the background and future plans of the company, and pays them a visit during a rehearsal and while a photoshoot is in process. 4mrdncr was actually there with her video camera! :clapping:

Corella's also on the cover of the August/September Pointe Magazine.

Thanks for the link. I enjoyed the article. I wish there were more photos.

Another article, this one in the Aug./Sept. 08 Pointe Magazine -- "Made in Madrid," by Kristin Lewis.

It's an excellent update about the company and includes the following:

1) Corella began preparing the way for this as long ago as 2001, when he created the Fundacion Angel Corella to lay the groundwork for a company similar to ABT --

a company with a classical repertoire that would also perform works by neoclassical and contemporary choreographers llike ... Balanchine ... Robbins .... Wheeldon ... Kylian, and ... Forsythe.

2) The impetus for the company (and 70% of the funding) comes from the Royal Family's foundation, which also donated the palace in Segovia that is the company's headquarters.

3) The name "Corella Ballet" is all about starting off with star recognition. AC hopes it will become the National Ballet of Spain (which must be conferred by the Spanish Government) or the Royal Ballet of Spain (bestowed by the royal family).

My name as a person and a dancer is only there for the moment, but eventually it will be a company for the country and dedicated to the country.

4) The official Madrid opening -- in September, at the Teatro Real -- will be Makarova's version of Bayadere, with Corella and guests Paloma Herrera and Gillian Murphy.

5) Next hurdle: starting a ballet school for ages 11-18.

6) Some very nice photos, too.

It's clear that, behind the sunny exterior and sweet smile, there's a sharp intelligence and serious organizational ability and drive.

Thanks, 4rmrdncr, for calling my attention to this article.

Anytime. And here are my "edits"...

1) Actually, he started the Foundation in 1999, four years after arriving at ABT when he was only 24.

2) Well the Palace of St. Cecilia's still needs to be renovated; also the studios and ancillary residence buildings--the expected completion date is late 2009. In the meantime, the Company & Foundation have recently moved to a temporary location in the general vicinity, that should fulfill all their needs until the Palace etc. is finished.

3) And as I posted before, the name change was also at the request of (or a condition of?) a principal funder. It has never been about or for Angel, but rather for his country and the many Spanish classical ballet dancers who previously had no opportunities to live & work in their own country.

4) But not every night. The Corella Ballet principals will also have their chance to shine.

5) See #2 above.

6) The studio pictures were taken before the move mentioned in #2 above.

And finally...

This has always been a frustration of mine (and his): people see that face onstage, briefly afterwards, or in some photoshoot etc. and still think of him as a "boy" (even Macauley in his review of Giselle this year couldn't help it), when underneath there has always been a very serious, focused, and mature individual.

Thanks, 4rmrdncr, for the corrections and clarifications.

Is anyone planning a trip to Madrid for the opening? It occurred to me that the ACB might benefit from the international publicity that YouTube provides, or possibly a video website. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to check in and see a bit of class, rehearsal, or a brief documentary about what the company is planning for the 2008-2009 season!

OK, I'll bite. And finally announce that...

I have been documenting the creation and development of Angel Corella's company and school since January. I have shot over 30hrs of footage, am planning to return to Spain (for the 4th time) in a few weeks to film the debut at the Teatro Real, and am currently trying to fundraise the monies necessary to edit all the above into something coherent for viewing. I've already had several requests for footage from internet sites. The plan was to possibly air some excerpts from the documentary-in-progress in September to coincide with the Company's debut in Madrid. However, until the legalities are finalized, I cannot release the footage yet. Something the Company/Foundation in Spain has yet to realize is a necessity. There is also a plan to release a dvd of some of the performances at a later date. Merde to us all.

Yes, thank you, Carolina. Jose Vallinas' photos of dancers performing each of the pieces in the pre-premiere performance are beautiful, though I wish the individual dancers had been identified. Maybe some readers hear can help us out with the identifications???

There's also a delightful, very informative interview with Corella by Kazumi Imasuki. It's in a Spanish translation, and comes with some stunning performance photos. If you scroll to the bottom of the page you'll find a link to the original English (Japanese, too!). That link comes with an entirely different set of wonderful informal phtos, including Corella helping to mop the stage at La Granja, following a pre-performance downpour. (Keith Richards joins him.) Great stuff.

I'm really impressed by the way that fotoescena has consistently made the point that Corella's company is something of great importance not only to ballet or to Spanish ballet dancers, but also the the national culture.

Our hope now is that our political officials are able to appreciate the quality of this company and the need to maintain it, along with the honour its creation brings to all Spaniards. While their headquarters are in La Granja de San Ildefonso and the company is committed to this community hosting and supporting them, they will tour all over Spain each year. It is the duty of the Spanish government to guarantee and ensure economic support to Corella Ballet so they can grow as it was planned.

Spain has needed this for so long and now we have it. After the presentation we experienced last year with such emotion, our fondest dreams could not have imagined that this project would become the incredible company we enjoyed in La Granja.

Spain has a "Dream Team" in cycling. It looks like they are on the way to having a Dream Team in ballet as well.

I hope they're also thinking about future tours to Latin America. They already have some fine dancers from that part of the world.

As Cristian said (above): !Suerte! to everyone involved.

Yes, thank you, Carolina. Jose Vallinas' photos of dancers performing each of the pieces in the pre-premiere performance are beautiful, though I wish the individual dancers had been identified. Maybe some readers hear can help us out with the identifications???

There's also a delightful, very informative interview with Corella by Kazumi Imasuki. It's in a Spanish translation, and comes with some stunning performance photos. If you scroll to the bottom of the page you'll find a link to the original English (Japanese, too!). That link comes with an entirely different set of wonderful informal phtos, including Corella helping to mop the stage at La Granja, following a pre-performance downpour. (Keith Richards joins him.) Great stuff.

... ...

I hope they're also thinking about future tours to Latin America. They already have some fine dancers from that part of the world.

As Cristian said (above): !Suerte! to everyone involved.

Uh bart, I think you mean Keith ROBERTS, not Richards (who makes & uses a different kind of music).

And yes L/S. America is on their radar for future visits. But first Madrid, and then 25 cities in Spain.

Carbro is right to reference the Corella Ballet website for info as to who and what is pictured.

Thanks to CarolinaM for posting the translated fotoescena article link on BT. Additional thanks to Jeanne Bosse for translating--I was astonished how much the syntax had improved!

And remember, all the events described above (and more), were videotaped. Edited excerpts should be posted by Sept. to coincide with the Teatro Real performances, which I will also be present at.

Just a note from the Moderator: this is the new thread for Corella Ballet. I split off earlier posts starting with the July Gala at la Granja and put them here. The old thread -- now closed -- was on the Ballet News forum and was getting too long and rambling.

Now we will be operating on the Ballet de Espana forum on European Companies. As the company develops, we should start new threads for new "topics," reviews of performances, etc., just as with other companies.

Uh bart, I think you mean Keith ROBERTS, not Richards (who makes & uses a different kind of music).
:o My mind must have been floating back to the 60s. I've made this particular name-switch before. Hmmm. :huh: Thanks, 4mrdncr.

What do the rest of our Corella fans think? Anyone planning to be in Madrid for the official opening? What do you think about the rep that Corella chose for the "pre-premiere" outdoor performances? Do you have any suggestions for future tours, rep, etc.?

The emphasis on touring sounds interesting. Here's Corella's comments from the interview:

We have 21 cities in the state of Castilla y Leon; we are going to Tenerife, The Canary Islands, The Granada Festival, both the Liceu Theatre and Tivoli Theatre in Barcelona, and hopefully, we will go to Brazil. We may also go to Washington D.C. There are also possibilities of other cities as well. Hopefully, we will be able to go to Japan, if Japan Arts or anyone else is interested in bringing the company there.

With 21 cities in central Spain alone -- many of them, I suppose, large towns rather than "cities" in the conventional sense -- this sounds like something from the days of the old Diaghilev tours (World War I U.S. and Spain), or the Ballets Russes and early Ballet Theater in the U.S. Daunting and difficult. But the idea of bringing ballet to so many places where it doesn't exist -- or hasn't existed for a long time -- is impressive.

Thank you very much mom2 !!! :)

You are completely right Bart, it was my wish to state dancer names at the bottom of each shot, but I'm not used with DreamWeaver and Jesús (not José :wink:) has not been able to help me much this time, so I thought that The Bayadere coming so soon it was worth to publish the article asap. I will keep on fighting and try to do this as Corella Ballet dancers deserve all our admiration and of course must to be named.

Thank you very much carbro for explaining that photos can also be found in Corella Ballet webpage so that people are able to identify them, I can add that the girl signing in Kazumi's interview is Cristina Casa and the other one showing the balloon is Mª José Sales, great dancers and very, very, brave girls. Mrs. Natalia Makarova's photo as Nikiya is courtesy by Corella Ballet as stated at the bottom of the interview, with Jesús copyright for his photos.

As you can imagine this is a lot of work load. We are only Jesús and me working in fotoescena, we both have our own jobs out of it and to make the articles, to translate, to publish and so on, is quite hard stuff. But I do not complain at all, it is our pleasure to try to help this company in the only way we are able to. We have always trusted them and after seeing them dance we are completely delighted with our so long for desired company.

And yes, more than to comment the performances -I'm not a dance critic and do not pretend to be- I have rather focussed on the need that people, and mainly our government, are aware of the great opportunity for our cultural heritage it is to keep this company and to get it to be the reality as it is planned and was presented February 2007 in Madrid.

I also would like to express, once more, my deepest gratitude to Jeanne M. Bosse' for fine-tuning my translation. You are right 4mrdncr, it is thanks to her so kind offer to collaborate with us, that the syntax has improved. It would have taken me a lot of extra time to get it better from my first attempt and I know that I would never have succeeded so well.

And also thanks a lot to Kazumi Imasaki. If it has been a pleasure to share with her that so great week-end in La Granja, it has been a gift she allowed us to publish her interview in fotoescena. At the end of the article, when we link the Spanish version, we already state that there are also links to the original interview in English and Japanese. We agreed with her that the Spanish version will have some more Jesús photos while the original has hers, which are so great and self-explanatory about what kind of people this company has, in addition of the great dancers they are, yes great stuff!! :)

Unfortunately we haven't had much time to meet each other 4mrdncr, I hope we will in Madrid. I'm planning to be there for the press release and the dress-rehearsal, but anyway, please, keep us posted as soon as your videotape is available or when you post excerpts of it. What a so great job you are also doing!! :huh:

To be honest I feel more comfortable here with you, so interested and moved for this great deal of Ángel Corella, than in my own country where out of fotoescena only few media are covering the birth of our amazing company Corella Ballet Castilla León.

Thank you very much to BalletTalk and to all of you here :o

Wow! Muchas gracias, Mme. Hermine. :D The company is referred to as a "national company of classical dance," and Corella's aspirations in that direction are clear. The point is made that the majority of the company's dancers are Spanish.

Can anyone identify the principal dancers in the Bayadere rehearsal?

Carmen Corella, with the purple bandana as dew rag, is rehearsing as Gamzatti. She may have danced the role at ABT.

Editing to add: A very cursory web search did not turn up any mention of Carmen having danced Gamzatti before.

Edited by carbro

In the video in addition to Mrs. Natalia Makarova, Ángel and Carmen Corella we can also see Adiarys Almeida and at the end Natalia Tapia with Iain Mackay.

I also put here links to other two bits of this same recording:

http://www.elmundo.es/elmundo/2008/08/24/c...1219578214.html

http://www.soitu.es/soitu/2008/08/25/infov...003_834682.html

I also recognize some well known Corps members, as for instance Cristina Casa whose photos are in our reports in fotoescena.

What a exciting event!! :D

In the video in addition to Mrs. Natalia Makarova, Ángel and Carmen Corella we can also see Adiarys Almeida and at the end Natalia Tapia with Iain Mackay.

I also put here links to other two bits of this same recording:

http://www.elmundo.es/elmundo/2008/08/24/c...1219578214.html

http://www.soitu.es/soitu/2008/08/25/infov...003_834682.html

I also recognize some well known Corps members, as for instance Cristina Casa whose photos are in our reports in fotoescena.

What a exciting event!! :angel_not:

Hi Carolina, How did the production go? We have not read any reports from the Spanish press.

Hi Carolina, How did the production go? We have not read any reports from the Spanish press.

Hi bingham! :)

I'm sorry I have been very busy these days. It went so, so great!! :clapping:

Not only the principals, which we knew they will be fantastic, Corella, Cornejo, Herrera, Murphy, Almeida, Gatti, etc, etc,... but what a Corps!!! and when one think that they only were working together from April this year, one just can't believe :o

For a more detailed info and for you to see a nice presentation and how they looked like, you can take a look on fotoescena and then just click on links to read.

I hope you will like and get an idea on how was it all about. We, of course, are very excited and happy! we only ask for them to have the support they need.

As far as for the press, critics have been very good and tickets have been sold out all days, no matter what the cast was.

Thank you also to everybody here :flowers: