This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Corella Ballet Castilla León

The performance schedule must be out there somewhere. I noticed, when checking the Gran Teatre del Liceu site, that they will be doing Bayadere in Barcelona next July. (5 performances, July 9-11)

Thank you so much, Carolina, for the link to your article and to those marvellous photographs. The corps does look lovely. From a U.S. perspective, it's also great to see dancers who have had careers in the U.S. -- Joseph Gatti among them -- featured in the troup.

About the company, I especially appreciate a couple of your comments.

Spain has needed this for so long and now we have it.

... and ...

Our hope now is that our political officials are able to appreciate the quality of this company and the need to maintain it, along with the honour its creation brings to all Spaniards. While their headquarters are in La Granja de San Ildefonso and the company is committed to this community hosting and supporting them, they will tour all over Spain each year. It is the duty of the Spanish government to guarantee and ensure economic support to Corella Ballet so they can grow as it was planned.

I wonder, has any major "national" ballet company been created de novo and come so far so quickly? You think of the Royal Opera Ballet, Royal Danish Ballet, Kirov, Bolshoi, Paris Opera Ballet, etc., as having taken decades or even centuries to evolve into what they are now. Corella and his people really have accomplished an amazing amount in just a year.

Caroline, I am going to be in Spain in early January 09 and have been trying find out if the company is performing then. And if so, where?

I'll try find out for you and let you know. For the time being there is no info on Corella Ballet website but I'll ask :)

Some of the dates for the Spanish tour from now until January (with the inclusion of the Liceu dates in July) are posted on the Corella Ballet website. Sorry, forgot how to link. I'll try later.

Apologies for being incommunicado so long; I have not stopped moving since I left for Spain (for the 4th time) August 25 until now. But after much difficulty (including my luggage and equipment--but luckily not the camera in my "carry-on" bag--being "lost" by the airlines for 5 days), I was able to complete filming of the rehearsals and performances of Corella Ballet in La Bayadere at the Teatro Real in Madrid.

Now, after 3 wks of long drives and longer editing sessions, I was finally able to show a rough-cut of the promo-demo of the documentary to Angel and some interested parties during a recent trip to NYC. I will be editing the fine-cut demo next week, and if a few legalities are ironed out, should finally have something to show the rest of the world. (At least until the full-length doc is released.)

Many thanks to Carolina et.al. for keeping all of you informed in the meantime. And for her generosity and kindness to me.

I will be editing the fine-cut demo next week, and if a few legalities are ironed out, should finally have something to show the rest of the world. (At least until the full-length doc is released.)

Many thanks to Carolina et.al. for keeping all of you informed in the meantime. And for her generosity and kindness to me.

Dear 4mrdncr it's to you to whom we have to be grateful for your commitment to Ángel Corella and ballet in Spain, many, many thanks. Please keep us posted about your progresses.

liebs: please note that as far as Corella Ballet Castilla y León next performances, you can visit the company's Calendar still to be completed as they foresse to be in Barcelona in January or February with the Triple Bill we saw in La Granja.

Also, maybe you would like to know that at GigMag's current issue there is an article about why classical ballet could (finally) be undergoing a renaissance in Spain thanks to Corella Ballet Castilla y Leon. I hope you will like it :)

A small "heads up":

I will be posting the 4-minute fine-cut trailer to my doc within a week. If I'm allowed, I will post a notice, (or link to it?).

There is no dialogue because it is for an international audience, and hopefully self-explanatory.

For the moment it will be "read or view-only" not downloadable. (A few legalities must still be worked out before that happens.)

Happy New Year and sorry, for the delay posting the trailer dvd...wanted to avoid holiday mail rush and chance it might get lost: I'm sending dvd copy direct to website so they can upload it at "highest quality" (it was shot HD) "view-only", rather than non-computer-techie me trying to do it. (Unfortunately, can't do anything about that website's banner ads across it. (Ugh)

So far, the few people who have seen the 4-min. trailer (balletomanes, and not) have liked it.

PS. Will be returning to Spain (Barcelona) this month to finish filming. (mostly interviews, maybe a performance excerpt?) It's been exactly 1yr since I started filming, and is my 5th trip to Spain. Gotta get funding soon, everything is maxed. Any advice (or critiques) welcome.