• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 CarolinaM

CarolinaM

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 08:11 AM

Thank you very much mom2 !!! :)

You are completely right Bart, it was my wish to state dancer names at the bottom of each shot, but I'm not used with DreamWeaver and Jesús (not José :wink:) has not been able to help me much this time, so I thought that The Bayadere coming so soon it was worth to publish the article asap. I will keep on fighting and try to do this as Corella Ballet dancers deserve all our admiration and of course must to be named.

Thank you very much carbro for explaining that photos can also be found in Corella Ballet webpage so that people are able to identify them, I can add that the girl signing in Kazumi's interview is Cristina Casa and the other one showing the balloon is Mª José Sales, great dancers and very, very, brave girls. Mrs. Natalia Makarova's photo as Nikiya is courtesy by Corella Ballet as stated at the bottom of the interview, with Jesús copyright for his photos.

As you can imagine this is a lot of work load. We are only Jesús and me working in fotoescena, we both have our own jobs out of it and to make the articles, to translate, to publish and so on, is quite hard stuff. But I do not complain at all, it is our pleasure to try to help this company in the only way we are able to. We have always trusted them and after seeing them dance we are completely delighted with our so long for desired company.

And yes, more than to comment the performances -I'm not a dance critic and do not pretend to be- I have rather focussed on the need that people, and mainly our government, are aware of the great opportunity for our cultural heritage it is to keep this company and to get it to be the reality as it is planned and was presented February 2007 in Madrid.

I also would like to express, once more, my deepest gratitude to Jeanne M. Bosse' for fine-tuning my translation. You are right 4mrdncr, it is thanks to her so kind offer to collaborate with us, that the syntax has improved. It would have taken me a lot of extra time to get it better from my first attempt and I know that I would never have succeeded so well.

And also thanks a lot to Kazumi Imasaki. If it has been a pleasure to share with her that so great week-end in La Granja, it has been a gift she allowed us to publish her interview in fotoescena. At the end of the article, when we link the Spanish version, we already state that there are also links to the original interview in English and Japanese. We agreed with her that the Spanish version will have some more Jesús photos while the original has hers, which are so great and self-explanatory about what kind of people this company has, in addition of the great dancers they are, yes great stuff!! :)

Unfortunately we haven't had much time to meet each other 4mrdncr, I hope we will in Madrid. I'm planning to be there for the press release and the dress-rehearsal, but anyway, please, keep us posted as soon as your videotape is available or when you post excerpts of it. What a so great job you are also doing!! :huh:

To be honest I feel more comfortable here with you, so interested and moved for this great deal of Ángel Corella, than in my own country where out of fotoescena only few media are covering the birth of our amazing company Corella Ballet Castilla León.

Thank you very much to BalletTalk and to all of you here :o

#17 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 11:58 AM

#18 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 12:57 PM

Wow! Muchas gracias, Mme. Hermine. :D The company is referred to as a "national company of classical dance," and Corella's aspirations in that direction are clear. The point is made that the majority of the company's dancers are Spanish.

Can anyone identify the principal dancers in the Bayadere rehearsal?

#19 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 02:26 PM

Carmen Corella, with the purple bandana as dew rag, is rehearsing as Gamzatti. She may have danced the role at ABT.

Editing to add: A very cursory web search did not turn up any mention of Carmen having danced Gamzatti before.

Edited by carbro, 27 August 2008 - 01:59 AM.

#20 CarolinaM

CarolinaM

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 12:27 AM

In the video in addition to Mrs. Natalia Makarova, Ángel and Carmen Corella we can also see Adiarys Almeida and at the end Natalia Tapia with Iain Mackay.

I also put here links to other two bits of this same recording:

http://www.elmundo.e...1219578214.html

http://www.soitu.es/...003_834682.html

I also recognize some well known Corps members, as for instance Cristina Casa whose photos are in our reports in fotoescena.

What a exciting event!! :D

#21 Figurante

Figurante

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 08:08 AM

Great video Mme. Hermine! It was really great to see some of my friends in rehearsal with the new company! Yay!

#22 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 11:26 AM

In the video in addition to Mrs. Natalia Makarova, Ángel and Carmen Corella we can also see Adiarys Almeida and at the end Natalia Tapia with Iain Mackay.

I also put here links to other two bits of this same recording:

http://www.elmundo.e...1219578214.html

http://www.soitu.es/...003_834682.html

I also recognize some well known Corps members, as for instance Cristina Casa whose photos are in our reports in fotoescena.

What a exciting event!! :angel_not:

Hi Carolina, How did the production go? We have not read any reports from the Spanish press.

#23 CarolinaM

CarolinaM

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:45 AM

Hi Carolina, How did the production go? We have not read any reports from the Spanish press.

Hi bingham! :)
I'm sorry I have been very busy these days. It went so, so great!! :clapping:
Not only the principals, which we knew they will be fantastic, Corella, Cornejo, Herrera, Murphy, Almeida, Gatti, etc, etc,... but what a Corps!!! and when one think that they only were working together from April this year, one just can't believe :o

For a more detailed info and for you to see a nice presentation and how they looked like, you can take a look on fotoescena and then just click on links to read.

I hope you will like and get an idea on how was it all about. We, of course, are very excited and happy! we only ask for them to have the support they need.

As far as for the press, critics have been very good and tickets have been sold out all days, no matter what the cast was.

Thank you also to everybody here :flowers:

#24 liebs

liebs

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 12:07 PM

Caroline, I am going to be in Spain in early January 09 and have been trying find out if the company is performing then. And if so, where?

#25 CarolinaM

CarolinaM

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 01:11 PM

Caroline, I am going to be in Spain in early January 09 and have been trying find out if the company is performing then. And if so, where?

I'll try find out for you and let you know. For the time being there is no info on Corella Ballet website but I'll ask :clapping:

#26 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 02:28 PM

The performance schedule must be out there somewhere. I noticed, when checking the Gran Teatre del Liceu site, that they will be doing Bayadere in Barcelona next July. (5 performances, July 9-11)

Thank you so much, Carolina, for the link to your article and to those marvellous photographs. The corps does look lovely. From a U.S. perspective, it's also great to see dancers who have had careers in the U.S. -- Joseph Gatti among them -- featured in the troup.

About the company, I especially appreciate a couple of your comments.

Spain has needed this for so long and now we have it.

... and ...

Our hope now is that our political officials are able to appreciate the quality of this company and the need to maintain it, along with the honour its creation brings to all Spaniards. While their headquarters are in La Granja de San Ildefonso and the company is committed to this community hosting and supporting them, they will tour all over Spain each year. It is the duty of the Spanish government to guarantee and ensure economic support to Corella Ballet so they can grow as it was planned.

I wonder, has any major "national" ballet company been created de novo and come so far so quickly? You think of the Royal Opera Ballet, Royal Danish Ballet, Kirov, Bolshoi, Paris Opera Ballet, etc., as having taken decades or even centuries to evolve into what they are now. Corella and his people really have accomplished an amazing amount in just a year.

#27 4mrdncr

4mrdncr

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 07:51 PM

I'll try find out for you and let you know. For the time being there is no info on Corella Ballet website but I'll ask :)

Some of the dates for the Spanish tour from now until January (with the inclusion of the Liceu dates in July) are posted on the Corella Ballet website. Sorry, forgot how to link. I'll try later.

#28 4mrdncr

4mrdncr

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 08:09 PM

Apologies for being incommunicado so long; I have not stopped moving since I left for Spain (for the 4th time) August 25 until now. But after much difficulty (including my luggage and equipment--but luckily not the camera in my "carry-on" bag--being "lost" by the airlines for 5 days), I was able to complete filming of the rehearsals and performances of Corella Ballet in La Bayadere at the Teatro Real in Madrid.
Now, after 3 wks of long drives and longer editing sessions, I was finally able to show a rough-cut of the promo-demo of the documentary to Angel and some interested parties during a recent trip to NYC. I will be editing the fine-cut demo next week, and if a few legalities are ironed out, should finally have something to show the rest of the world. (At least until the full-length doc is released.)

Many thanks to Carolina et.al. for keeping all of you informed in the meantime. And for her generosity and kindness to me.

#29 CarolinaM

CarolinaM

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 04:47 AM

I will be editing the fine-cut demo next week, and if a few legalities are ironed out, should finally have something to show the rest of the world. (At least until the full-length doc is released.)

Many thanks to Carolina et.al. for keeping all of you informed in the meantime. And for her generosity and kindness to me.

Dear 4mrdncr it's to you to whom we have to be grateful for your commitment to Ángel Corella and ballet in Spain, many, many thanks. Please keep us posted about your progresses.

liebs: please note that as far as Corella Ballet Castilla y León next performances, you can visit the company's Calendar still to be completed as they foresse to be in Barcelona in January or February with the Triple Bill we saw in La Granja.

Also, maybe you would like to know that at GigMag's current issue there is an article about why classical ballet could (finally) be undergoing a renaissance in Spain thanks to Corella Ballet Castilla y Leon. I hope you will like it :)

#30 4mrdncr

4mrdncr

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 09:04 PM

A small "heads up":
I will be posting the 4-minute fine-cut trailer to my doc within a week. If I'm allowed, I will post a notice, (or link to it?).
There is no dialogue because it is for an international audience, and hopefully self-explanatory.
For the moment it will be "read or view-only" not downloadable. (A few legalities must still be worked out before that happens.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):