Hi group!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RobH

RobH

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 05:56 PM

I'm a middle-aged guy who, until recently, felt the same way about ballet as a lot of people probably do - "The music is great... but does it really need to be accompanied by all that dancing?" :o

Then one night I was watching the A&E network. They were showing scenes from ballets, and for the first time I really paid attention. It struck me as a very beautiful art form. I found myself tremendously moved by all aspects of it.

Now I own several ballets on DVD, and enjoy them very much. The first one I got was ABT's production of Swan Lake with Gillian Murphy and Angel Corella. I must've watched it a dozen times in the first month!

As yet, I don't know enough about ballet to make intelligent distinctions or criticisms; I'm still at the "I only know what I like" stage... which is probably not a bad place to be, really. :flowers:

Anyway, I hope to broaden my knowledge. Thank you for having me!

#2 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,007 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 07:35 PM

Welcome to Ballet Talk, RobH! It's never too late to love this beautiful art form.

If you ever have a question that doesn't seem to have a home, please ask it in our Discovering the Art forum. We do hope you'll post about what you see and like.

#3 RobH

RobH

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 07:49 PM

Welcome to Ballet Talk, RobH! It's never too late to love this beautiful art form.

Thank you for the welcome, Helene!

#4 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 07:00 AM

RobH, welcome to Ballet Talk.

We are all sorts here. My story has something in common with yours: the ballet videos on A&E -- and the old Bravo too -- helped change my life. I grew up with ballet but was away from it, living a rather long drive from NYC. Those tv showings, which I started to tape, kept me attached, curious, fascinated, and -- gradually -- yearning for MORE, while live performance wasn't in the cards.

Watch out about ballet dvds though. They can become addictive!

#5 RobH

RobH

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 08:24 AM

Many thanks, Bart!

About ballet DVDs being addictive... boy, you ain't kidding! I only started collecting them a few months ago, and already have 20! I'm sure that's not many compared to the collections other people on the board have, but to me it's a lot. :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):