This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Georgia/Russia

Hello all!

Well, I'm back from my long hiatus from the ballet world. Studying has taken it's toll on me, but fear not, I spend most of my time on youtube watching my favorite dancers :)

I was just wondering, the already bad situation in Georgia/Russia/South Ossetia has just gotten worse. What does this mean for dancers such as Irma Nioradze or Nikolai Tsiskaradize? Will they continue to dance in russia? And what of Nina Ananishvili?

I'm terribly sorry about bring some bad news to the forefront--but I really am curious (and a little nervous).

Other than that, hope everyone is well!

**Goes back to textbooks**

ngitanjali :smilie_mondieu:

...I was just wondering, the already bad situation in Georgia/Russia/South Ossetia has just gotten worse. What does this mean for dancers such as Irma Nioradze or Nikolai Tsiskaradize? Will they continue to dance in russia? And what of Nina Ananishvili?

Just saw on the news that 2000 had already been killed in the war, although I suppose everything is imprecise at this time. In the case of Nina, she is immensely popular in Russia, as last month's interview in Izvestia, that may be found in the Nina Retires thread for ABT, shows. But her husband's government position cannot be avoided, and much of her optimism must now be shattered. A quote from that interview:

Q: Your husband, Deputy Minister for Foreign Affairs of Georgia, is responsible for relations with Russia. Does he ask you for advice?

A: At once it is obvious that you were never married to a Georgian!

Q: It is true. Russian men sometimes accept advice from their wives. Nevertheless, with your female insights what is necessary to improve relations between our countries?

A: To remember our beliefs, our history, the rivers of blood that we've, friend for friend, spilled for each other, our relationships and friendships. If suddenly, inadvertently-contrary to national characters-we make such a step that shows to the world an unprecedented example of our reasonable behavior, it will be easier than it seems today.

Q: Is your two-year-old daughter learning the Russian language?

A: Russian for my Elena will be as a native language.

... and also for Moscow, even if it is somehow inconvenient. I dream of it

at night: Moscow, a part of me, most. As well, Tbilisi.

Q: In Moscow lots of people wish to see your Georgian Ballet. When could that be?

A: I go to Moscow very often (since not to dance, the impression is that I do not). Sergei Filin is actively working to bring us to Moscow next Spring.

Q: ... and so wished by Moscow fans ...

A: Why just fans? To all Muscovites, enormous happiness to you, my dears!