This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2008 Fall for Dance Festival

Release on Fall for Dance Festival

FALL FOR DANCE FESTIVAL

September 17 – 27, 2008

The fifth annual Fall for Dance Festival will run from September 17 – 27, 2008, showcasing 28 national and international companies and choreographers in six unique programs (four programs will be repeated). All tickets will once again be $10 for all seats.

The 2008 Festival will feature a wide range of dance styles and traditions, ranging from hula and tap to Indian Odissi and Thai Khon, as well as ballet and modern dance companies from across the United States and around the world, many appearing in New York for the first time. Exciting young companies and choreographers include Ayodele Casel & Sarah Savelli, Keigwin + Company, The Lombard Twins, Crystal Pite, Hofesh Shechter, Richard Siegal and Kate Weare.

International companies and artists include Richard Siegal/The Bakery of Paris; [bjm_danse] Les Ballets Jazz de Montréal; BeijingDance / LDTX of China; Compañia Nacional de Danza, Artistic Director Nacho Duato of Spain; Hofesh Shechter Company of Israel and the UK; LAFA & Artists Dance Company of Taiwan; Louise Lecavalier of Canada; The Lombard Twins of Argentina; Madhavi Mudgal of India; The National Ballet of Canada; Pichet Klunchun Dance Company of Thailand, Talia Paz of Israel and Sharon Wray from the UK.

Acclaimed American companies and choreographers include Aspen Santa Fe Ballet, Dayton Contemporary Dance Company, Garth Fagan Dance, The Gentlemen of Hälau Nä Kamalei, Houston Ballet, Merce Cunningham Dance Company, Oregon Ballet Theatre, San Francisco Ballet, Shen Wei Dance Arts and The Suzanne Farrell Ballet.

New York City Center resident companies will be represented by American Ballet Theatre and Paul Taylor Dance Company.

Just noticed it myself. As usual, the companies are literally and figuratively all over the map. I think I may just try to go to everything this year.

Oh, do! Alongside the ballet listings, you've got Dayton in a piece by Asadata Dafora and Sheron Wray doing Jane Dudley's Harmonica Breakdown -- modern works we don't get to see very often.

Not to mention the hula...

Just noticed it myself. As usual, the companies are literally and figuratively all over the map. I think I may just try to go to everything this year.

Oh, do! Alongside the ballet listings, you've got Dayton in a piece by Asadata Dafora and Sheron Wray doing Jane Dudley's Harmonica Breakdown -- modern works we don't get to see very often.

Not to mention the hula...

It's been quite a while since I saw Harmonica Breakdown, but it's defintely worth making an effort to see. I think Hofesh Schechter is on the same bill - he has gathered a lot of attention in the UK.

I wonder how difficult it will be to get decent tickets to these events. Would one have to line up two hours in advance? Ten hours? Two days? :( Never attended this festival before and would really appreciate any advice from personal experience. Thanks in advance!

I wonder how difficult it will be to get decent tickets to these events. Would one have to line up two hours in advance? Ten hours? Two days? :pinch: Never attended this festival before and would really appreciate any advice from personal experience. Thanks in advance!

One of the problems is that there are so few good seats at City Center, the other is that this sells out fast. I’ve gone to the box office for tickets the past couple of years and my best recollection is that people started to line up around 6 AM. By around 9 the line was all the way down to the the corner of 7th avenue and by the time the box office opened the line wrapped all the way around 7th Ave to 56th Street

Susan

Last year was the first time I even attempted to obtain tixs for Fall For Dance. I'm not one for waiting on lines, so I tried the phone lines instead on the first day of sales. They were busy for hours. By the time I got through, the only seats left were really bad. I purchased them anyway, but for the most part the sight lines were a disaster. Based on last year's experience, I will avoid going to Fall For Dance this year, and probably will not attend in future years. If you intend to get tixs by phone or internet, those modes will probably be busy for several hours.