This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Suzanne Farrell Ballet in this year's Fall for Dance

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MDNJ

MDNJ

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:37 AM

I just saw the list for this year's Fall for Dance on their web site[ New York City Center] . The Suzanne Farrell Ballet will be performing on Sept. 25th. I am not sure what they are performing but who cares -they are in NYC !!! Perhaps Farrell Fan had something to do with it. In any case, it will be a night to enjoy.

#2 Farrell Fan

Farrell Fan

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 11:57 AM

I did have something to to with it -- I prayed. They are performing Balanchine's "Pithoprakta, which they recently revived. I haven't seen the revival but I did see Suzanne in it in 1968, when she danced it with Arthur Mitchell.

#3 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,757 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 12:13 PM

I've never seen or heard of it. Can you tell us anything more about it, such as the music. Is it a pas de deux?

#4 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 12:30 PM

I've never seen or heard of it. Can you tell us anything more about it, such as the music. Is it a pas de deux?

No. You can read Alastair Macauley's NY Times review and find a photo here.

Farrell Fan, I'm so glad you'll get to see this!

#5 Ray

Ray

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 01:06 PM

No. You can read Alastair Macauley's NY Times review and find a photo here.

Farrell Fan, I'm so glad you'll get to see this!

I like this passage in that Macauley review:

"None of the Farrell company’s dancers look world-class in terms of physical perfection or technical glory, but all show virtues of absorption and inflection that you often wish more ideally gifted dancers showed."

#6 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 04:01 PM

FWIW, abatt, I posted some long-winded impressions of Farrell's revival of Pithoprakta on this thread:

http://ballettalk.in...showtopic=26050

(See Post #7 there.)

Would anyone like to relate their experiences getting a ticket to this event? It's been a while since I visited New York...

#7 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 04:23 PM

For the Kirov's recent City Center engagement, the physical box opened one hour after internet tickets went on sale. Strange, huh?

For F4D, I ordered on the internet and was happy -- okay, satisfied -- with most of my seat assignments. The big problem was timing out with larger orders, so I recommend to anyone who finds themselves ordering by internet to set your priorities and order for one or two dates at a time.

#8 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,332 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 09:25 PM

That's a great strategy, carbro. I had the same timeout issues ordering Kirov tickets.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):