26 replies to this topic

#16 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,575 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 10:36 AM

Maria Allash was absolutely beautiful in Aegina, what a fine dancer she is - I only saw her Raymonda when it was shown live on the web a few years ago.

Ohh, if only that one would make it to a commercial release...

#17 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,162 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 12:58 PM

Are my Anglo-American ballet roots showing?

Should they be?

At the risk of directing more ire in my direction, there's the matter of Acosta

Trust me, nobody is angry.

"Nobody" can be subjected to objection-(If i may)-..."angry"...not really...

#18 innopac

innopac

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 01:39 PM

On the occasions I've lasted to the end of Spartacus, which I haven't always, I've found the experience nauseating. I've acknowledged on this board before that Grigorovich live (or, I suppose, magnified on a movie screen) looks less silly than Grigorovich on the tube, but piercingly loud music can only go so far in distracting me from the crudeness of it all. And if the dancers have personality and talent, I only find myself wishing that they were dancing something else.

Just curious... do you like Khachaturian's music? My guess is that you may not. What I have often wondered about is is it possible really enjoy a ballet if you don't love the music.

#19 Marc Haegeman

Marc Haegeman

Platinum Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 01:43 PM

Maria Allash was absolutely beautiful in Aegina, what a fine dancer she is - I only saw her Raymonda when it was shown live on the web a few years ago.

Ohh, if only that one would make it to a commercial release...

Helene, it's due for DVD release.

#20 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,575 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 03:39 PM

:yahoo:

Marc, you just made my day :)

#21 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,015 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 09:22 PM

I'm missing the "I'm-going-to-make-you-lick-the-dirt-and-love-it-you-lower-than-low-class-dog" combination of menace and high-born condescension that Liepa brought to the role (based on the film).

Oh ouch, what a description!

#22 Mireille

Mireille

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 05:40 AM

The Raymonda released on DVD? Can't wait to see it Allash's beautiful lines again. I remember that she almost fell after stepping on Jean de Brienne's cape during the pas de deux, he caught her but they missed a lift. I don't remember who danced de Brienne, Filin or Uvarov?

#23 Marc Haegeman

Marc Haegeman

Platinum Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 08:02 AM

The Raymonda released on DVD? Can't wait to see it Allash's beautiful lines again. I remember that she almost fell after stepping on Jean de Brienne's cape during the pas de deux, he caught her but they missed a lift. I don't remember who danced de Brienne, Filin or Uvarov?

It's the Paris filmed Spartacus with Acosta/Kaptsova/Volchkov/Allash that is due for DVD release.

#24 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,162 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 08:28 AM

"I'm-going-to-make-you-lick-the-dirt-and-love-it-you-lower-than-low-class-dog"

Wow, Helene, now THAT'S an image... :huh:

#25 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 12:44 PM

Just curious... do you like Khachaturian's music? My guess is that you may not. What I have often wondered about is is it possible really enjoy a ballet if you don't love the music.

His ballet music? No. I only ever enjoyed it when it was used for parody in the Coen Brothers' The Hudsucker Proxy. I don't have anything against his Violin Concerto, for example.

I love La Bayadere, even though I don't love or even like the music.

#26 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 11:32 AM

A lot of the score is dramatically effective, though every good idea seems to go on forever. For those who are ambivalent about the ballet, I suggest watching the dvd without the music. Some of what you see still works. On the whole, however, the experience made me long for every one of Khatchaturian's notes. :huh: :off topic:

#27 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 12:27 AM

If you haven't seen it yet and are dying to see it on the big screen, Spartacus will be screened at five UltraStar locations in California and Arizona on May 27 and 28.

Wednesday, May 27 at 11:00 a.m.
Thursday, May 28 at 7:00 p.m.

The participating cinemas are located in San Diego, CA; Carlsbad, CA; Apple Valley, CA; Surprise, AZ; and Lake Havasu City, AZ.

http://centralsystem...p;date=05272009

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):