This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Can you name the dancer(s)?

i wonder if anyone with a interest in and a familiarity with 20th c. american ballet can name the dancers and/or the circumstances of this photo.

i needed to read the captioning on the back of the photo, but once i did, i thought: oh, now i see...

post-848-1217131932_thumb.jpg

meanwhile, here's a scan of a headshot of Catherine Littlefield. it is undated but was used, apparently, on Aug. 1, 1951 to note Littlefield's supervision of "all the choregraphy on James Melton's 'Ford Festival'." ("Little Giant" is the name of the particular work being promoted here.)

post-848-1217164476_thumb.jpg

i wonder if anyone with a interest in and a familiarity with 20th c. american ballet can name the dancers and/or the circumstances of this photo.

i needed to read the captioning on the back of the photo, but once i did, i thought: oh, now i see...

The costume of the man looks somewhat Spanish... Is it from a production of "Don Quixote" ? I had also thought about Massine's "The Three-Cornered Hat" but the woman's costume doesn't seem related to that balle( (what bizarre asymetric sleeves...)

Right, I wonder if these people aren't better known for other than dancing and that these costumes aren't cobbled together from separate shows.

I've been enjoying rg's photo threads so much. Mel's question made me wonder about the functdion/purpose of this sort of photographic production. Were they intended for publicity for the dancers? for a tour? for a specific engagement? Were they sold? given to fans at the stage door?

mostly photos were taken for publicity purposes and sent to various publications - this before the days when one could send digital files by email. (a number of such items that i've acquired have the newspaper printing and caption pasted on the back. these examples were archived by the paper for future re-use, i suppose.)

some 'bigger' names might have their assistants or fan club leaders have headshots on hand for fans, i suppose.

of course there were always any number that of photos were taken 'unoffically' by fans for sale to other fans and as 'offerings' of admiration to the artist in question.

some photo sessions were conducted for specific stories and publications, including souvenir programs etc.

performance shots were made for daily reviews, perhaps, and for brochures promoting a company's repertory seasons, etc.

Thank you, rg. You mention "souvenir programs." I do remember several of those at home when I was a child and how fascinated I was by them. I can still see photos of Markova and Dolin. It was a London Festival Ballet annual, I believe.

In looking for Reiman, I found a reference that mentioned that she was one of the Muses in the original (Adolph Bolm's) Apollo, along with Ruth Page and Berenice Holmes. Then I found her obituary in the NY Times:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html...75BC0A965958260

About the man in this photo. I got curious about your question and located an identical photo for sale on the internet. I don't want to spoil it for others -- and I don't know how accurate the description is -- but are the initials of the man's name "D.R."?

there are no rules here, one can seek indentification information anyware one's curiosity leads. and yes, the initials for the male dancer w/reiman are D.R. (i'm not sure, btw, i'd have recognized either dancer w/o the help the caption on the photo's back.)

Is that Dmitri Romanoff? I was looking for the telltale resemblance in Reiman to Imogene Coca, which was so obvious in the 60s, when I first met her. Romanoff would be about contemporary as a dancer with her. I guess what had me buffaloed was the closeness of the dancers to the back wall, to minimize shadows. His toes must be squished against the baseboard, thus creating a less-than-topnotch picture while kneeling. Likewise, their hands seem rather spidery, with the flyaway thumbs that neither of them had while I was a student.

and the caption says:

ELSIE REIMAN. {corrected in pencil: Elise Reiman}

DIMITRI ROMANOFF.

{in further handwriting: "in Ballet of 'La Traviata.'}

the photo was in the reference library of the [san Francisco] Examiner}

the date Nov. 23, 1933 is stamped on the back as well.

the attached scan shows what's written on the back of the other Reiman foto above:

post-848-1217260407_thumb.jpg

Both the San Francisco Opera and Ballet were founded under the same shield in 1932-33. The Ballet School was supposed to train dancers from the very start to provide divertissements in the operas, but from its first season, it gave freestanding ballet performances. Its first director was Adolph Bolm, who attracted some of the best American talent to dance, along with fellow Russian expats, like Romanoff.