Balanchine's "tutu ballets"Which ones...?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 07:15 PM

La Valse has romantic tutus.
Nutcracker is full of tutus.
Western Symphony too.

Who Cares? :P :wink:

#17 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,250 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 08:21 PM

I should add that, as someone noticed earlier here, Farrell was specifically talking about the classic tutu...I personally have seen few of those at MCB ("Bourree Fantasque", "Pas de Dix" , "Tarantella" , "Nutcracker" and "Diamonds"...and that's it, (if mem. serves, which I'm doubting lately). In Havana Mme. gave me "Waltz Academy", "Theme and Variations" and "Sylvia PDD" , so my personal recollections goes just up to 8 works. Oh!, yes, CCBM did "Stars and Stripes PDD" also during last season, so counts now goes up to 9 Now, the new MCB season will add up, with "S.in C" and "Swan Lake", which I'm especially intrigued. Note: I found very interesting the pic of Mme. Danilova in the early Coco Chanel classic tutu design for her muse in Apollo, along with bathing caps and everything-(Mme. stated that Chanel felt horror for human hair in full display). Mme. Alonso's Apollo kept the caps, but had the now standard loose museline costumes.
BTW, thanks a lot for all the info provided.

#18 innopac

innopac

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:40 PM

Here is a video about the costumes for Theme and Variations:
New York City Ballet "Recreating a Tutu"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):