This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ernest Hemingway

Hemingway died 47 years ago today. His memory was honored in Cuba.

A spray of flowers sat next to a bust of the Nobel Prize winning author on the front terrace of tree-shaded Finca Vigia, where he lived for 21 years and wrote some of his greatest works. "Hemingway is a beloved master," said Ada Rosa Alfonso Rosales, director of the museum that the home is now.

Related article.

A gathering to brief children on the life and work of the famous US writer will take place July 12. Another meeting will debate the different facets of the novelists conducted by journalist Alberto Pozo on July 19.

The winners of the Ernest Hemingway Story Contest will be announced July 21.

Thanks dirac for the link. When i was in high school in Cuba, "Farewell to Arms" was a must read book within the school syllabus. Other lectures fallowed, which i enjoyed tremendously...("For Whom the Bell Tolls", "Fiesta", "The Old Man and the Sea"...)

Honor well served to a great master. :)

Thanks dirac for the link. When i was in high school in Cuba, "Farewell to Arms" was a must read book within the school syllabus. Other lectures fallowed, which i enjoyed tremendously...("For Whom the Bell Tolls", "Fiesta", "The Old Man and the Sea"...)

Honor well served to a great master. :)

I imagine a lot of us are surprised that Farewell to Arms woud be required reading in Castro's Cuba. Anyway, I agree with all this, and love the books too.

Honor well served to a great master. :bow:

I imagine a lot of us are surprised that Farewell to Arms woud be required reading in Castro's Cuba. Anyway, I agree with all this, and love the books too.

Patrick, Hemingway is an venerated icon in Cuba, even being considered some sort of "national" writer...

His finca "La Vigia" is a beautiful place to visit, now a museum...There's also the famous bar "El Floridita" in Havana, where he liked to have his yummy mojitos... ( :) mmm..have you ever tried those...? :) )

Hemingway's original title for the work was Fiesta, which was used in the UK, German and Spanish editions of the novel. "The Sun also rises" addition to it was selected by Hemingway at the recommendation of his publisher.

If I remember correctly, the name "Fiesta" was used for a Russian television version in which Baryshnikov played Pedro Romero.

Hemingway is an venerated icon in Cuba, even being considered some sort of "national" writer...

Yes, indeed, and thank you for the other background information, Cristian. I thought it was lovely that the Cubans took note of the anniversary of his passing.