This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

On youtube there is now a documentary about Diaghilev that was made around 1982, hosted by Tamara Geva. I'd never even heard of the documentary before, but it combines some narrative with interviews with Markova, Ninette di Valois, Felia Doubrovska, Alexandra Danilova, Vera Stravinsky, and Anton Dolin. But the crown jewel of the documentary is interviews with Mr. B, who has some wonderful stories to tell and a harsh judgment of the Ballet Russes in general. Really, if you can't trust sources like this who can you trust?

Just search "Serge Diaghilev" and you'll find it.

credits follow for the DIAGHILEV docu. named here.

this is another program that was telecast - on A&E? - and that balletwatchers with betamax machines taped off the air. it was probably shown subsequently a few times, but not often to the best of my knowledge:

Diaghilev: a portrait 1979. 68 min. : sd. color

A BBC Television production, in association with RM Productions, Munich. Produced and directed by Peter Adam. Written and narrated by Tamara Geva.

Summary: A documentary portrait of Sergei Diaghilev, his life, work, and contributions, as seen through the eyes of some of those who knew him and worked with him. Includes interviews with Anton Dolin, Alexandra Danilova, Felia Doubrovska, Ninette De Valois, George Balanchine, Alicia Markova, Vera Stravinsky, Michel Pavloff, Leonide Massine, and Vittorio Rieti. Also includes brief excerpts of the ballets Les sylphides (Royal Ballet production with Fonteyn and Nureyev), Petrouchka (National Theatre Ballet, Prague, with Carla Fracci and Paolo Bortoluzzi), The sleeping beauty and Les noces (Royal Ballet productions), L'Après-midi d'un faune, and Parade.

Canbelto, I can't thank you enough. So many of the participants were still alive and flouring when this was shot: Geva herself, Danilova, Markova, Dolin, de Valois, etc., etc. And Balancine. I've seen only 2 of the 7 sections so far, but it's been an incredible experience to watch Balanchine reminiscing with Geva -- so lively, so full of humor. All the participants are full of life. They're very articulate and all show that strong element of charm that seems to go hand in hand with so many successful stage careers.

This is not just another ballet-nostalgia show. It's a very serious, high-quality work. :blink::dunno: