This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2008/9 season of the Royal Ballet of Flanders

Knowing that Helene and Leigh became since their last visit great fans of this company :) , here's what they have to offer for next season. A new (new) "Swan Lake" in a choreography by Marcia Haydée. I note that the Ivanov bits (at least for what we usually know as the 2nd Act) will be safe, but the remainder seems to be fair game: the emphasis will be on Rothbart and his role will be considerably developed ("To me, Rothbart is like Dracula", finds Haydée). In any case, come what may, and Haydée has strong competition from the previous "Swan Lake" effort for Flanders by Jan Fabre, something to look forward to.

Also new for the company next season will be William Forsythe's "Artifact." Revivals will include Haydée's staging of "The Sleeping Beauty", as well as Forsythe's "Impressing the Czar", both successful additions to the repertory since Kathryn Bennetts took over.

Marc, are they doing the full Artifact from '84 or Artifact Suite (the distilled version from '04 for Scottish Ballet?) Is the calendar up on their site yet?

The company is worth seeing (and the Vlaamse Oper is a trip), but far more than anything, the thing about Ghent that will probably stay with me for my entire life was sitting for an hour in front of the Adoration of the Mystic Lamb and just looking at it from all angles. That is the real reason to go (besides Marc and Vivienne.)

If you're seeing the company in NYC, look for Wim Vanlessen and Aki Saito.

Leigh, we're treated the full-length Artifact. Can't wait.

No calendar up yet on their website.

The premiere of Swan Lake is in Antwerp in January 2009 (April in Gent); Artifact follows in May 2009, in Antwerp only.

As Leigh says, principals Aki Saito and Wim Vanlessen are the dancers to see (you should have them in In the Middle Somewhat Elevated); Alain Honorez is excellent as well in works like this.

The Royal Ballet of Flanders are visiting Sadler's Wells in London this autumn, in November. They are just bringing Impressing the Czar - no other programmes.

Not sure if I will see this or not - my earlier exprience of this company was the Jan Fabre Swan Lake, which was not a recommendation. That poor owl....

Impressing the Czar has become the signature work of the RB of Flanders. They tour it everywhere and gather critical successes with it.

Lynette, as with Fabre's abysmal Swan Lake, the question is here not the company but the work. If you don't care for this sort of Forsythe, than don't bother with it. But it's a shame the choice is that limited.

The schedule, at least for Antwerp, is on the Vlaamse Opera page - http://www.vlaamseopera.be/programme_ballet.orb

I'm ambivalent about Forsythe but I happen to really admire Artifact Suite - and I don't know the differences between it and the full-length Artifact. The Suite is quite long in itself. Of the companies I've seen do Artifact Suite so far, I think San Francisco Ballet has made the best case for it. (Paris does Vertiginous better)

The schedule, at least for Antwerp, is on the Vlaamse Opera page - http://www.vlaamseopera.be/programme_ballet.orb

I'm ambivalent about Forsythe but I happen to really admire Artifact Suite - and I don't know the differences between it and the full-length Artifact. The Suite is quite long in itself. Of the companies I've seen do Artifact Suite so far, I think San Francisco Ballet has made the best case for it. (Paris does Vertiginous better)

While the Suite is pure-dance and gesturing, the full-length Artifact also incorporates these shouting matches which can be relished in Impressing as well.