This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT - La Bayadere June 2008

Yes, clutter is what it is beginning to be. This thread is supposed to be about performances and instead inevitably seems to devolve into a discussion of whether VP is great/or not, staying at ABT/or not, is better with.../or not etc.etc. Can we PLEASE have (though I thought there already was one?) a SEPARATE THREAD just to discuss her--whether in ABT forum or Dancers forum--instead of multiple multiple discussions of just her when I want to hear about various performances and dancers, not just long discussions of VP's technique. Sorry, if I'm grumpy, I do like her too.

Yes, clutter is what it is beginning to be. This thread is supposed to be about performances and instead inevitably seems to devolve into a discussion of whether VP is great/or not, staying at ABT/or not, is better with.../or not etc.etc. Can we PLEASE have (though I thought there already was one?) a SEPARATE THREAD just to discuss her--whether in ABT forum or Dancers forum--instead of multiple multiple discussions of just her when I want to hear about various performances and dancers, not just long discussions of VP's technique. Sorry, if I'm grumpy, I do like her too.

This is a thread about ABT’s Bayadere - and VP was in two performances so it’s not unusual that those people who enjoyed her Bayadere are discussing her performance in it here. That includes her technique, interpretation, partners, plans etc. Posts from people who enjoyed other ballerinas in the role and/or who were impressed with other dancers in the production are equally welcome and if you find this thread too “cluttered’ with discussion of VP then the solution is for people who saw other casts to post their impressions - not to curtail discussion of VP’s Bayadere.

I agree with nysusan that it's appropriate to discuss Part's dancing in Bayadere, and matters related to it, on this thread if the poster so chooses.

On the other hand, don't forget that there is also an extensive and going discussion ("Veronika Part: Divided Opinions?) here:

http://ballettalk.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=22733

your choice! :shake:

Thanks bart, that's all I was trying to say. Her performance in Bayadere fine--post at will, otherwise the other forum is available for further discussions.

I guess the thread has evolved and posting on the separate thread is not organic, in a way.

Perhaps my following statement should be moved.

I believe that some people love the Russian/Kirov style very much and in ABT the constant in that is VP. Irina inspires some but not as much admiration in terms of that style (she is a stronger technician). Many in ABT (aside from the Met season guests) do not exemplify that style, so that leaves VP. I prefer the Murphys, Wiles and now Sarah Lanes of the company, but I can see that VP has her ardent followers. I think we are lucky that there is room in ABT for many approaches. This is perhaps a strength and weakness in the company. For the record my favorite all time ABT woman is Cynthia Gregory.