• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,244 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 09:22 PM

Am i the only one who likes Besmertnova's ?

#17 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,202 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 12:03 AM

I love Besmertnova's. But with a few exceptions, I much prefer the Kirov version, and love Kolpakova's dancing to death.

#18 puppytreats

puppytreats

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:36 AM

I am currently being blown away by Semenyaka, as I am watching "Raymonda", and trying to disregard the poor filming. WOW. Why have I not read more about her?

#19 Marcmomus

Marcmomus

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:03 AM

Amazon.co.uk tells me that Arthaus is releasing La Scala's Raymonda (2011) with Olesia Novikova and Friedemann Vogel on April 9th, on DVD and BluRay. The blurb says it's the most faithful version to Petipa. Any opinions on this? Any one see it in Milan?

#20 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:08 AM

Amazon.co.uk tells me that Arthaus is releasing La Scala's Raymonda (2011) with Olesia Novikova and Friedemann Vogel on April 9th, on DVD and BluRay. The blurb says it's the most faithful version to Petipa. Any opinions on this? Any one see it in Milan?

I think Natalia saw it in Milan, but it is also on YouTube in 3-4 parts. You can watch the entire thing unless they've removed it recently. It is a reconstruction so it is as faithful to the original as possible and is wonderful. Great to know it is coming out officially as a commercial release!

#21 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,396 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:02 PM

..... Any opinions on this [being the most faithful to Petipa]? Any one see it in Milan?

Yes and Yes. :) Excellent news. I hope that it might include backstage 'extras' not shown during the RAI telecast.

#22 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,202 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:50 PM

Here is a thread about the 1898 version:
http://balletalert.i...98/page__st__15

Here is a thread about the reconstruction at La Scala:
http://balletalert.i...emiere-reports/

You can also see the entire production on YouTube in four parts. It's still up as of today.

#23 Nanarina

Nanarina

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:56 PM

Kirov or Bolshoi?????? I own a copy of the Bolshoi, with Taranda, who like others say is amazing, he is the essence of a Saracen warriior, proud dramtic and exellent in the role. But I do not like Bessmertova, she was well past her best, and I found her un inspiring, finding difficulty in many of her variations. Though saying that the production at the Bolshoi was better than the Kirov which seemed very dated. Kolpakova was lovely, but the staging seemed very old fashioned and the quality of the DVD (Rented from Lovefilm) was far below that of the Bolshoi.

I believe there is a DVD of the Paris Opera Ballet (Mezzo) with Marie Agnes Gilot., which is a Nureyev re-staging, in what seems to be based on the Kirov version, with of course his own idea's. Whether it is avauilable in general I do not know, but there are some clips on YouTube. I think it was released in the last few years, whereas the others are much older. I also think I saw a recent advert on Amazon for a production in the last few days, But I may be mistaken, and it was something else. Good luck in your choice

#24 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,396 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:36 AM

You can also see the entire production on YouTube in four parts. It's still up as of today.

You can uncomfortably see a blurry Raymonda on YouTube, if you enjoy hunching over a computer. Much better to sit in the comfort of one's sofa with a big-screen TV on the wall. A high-quality experience. Something akin to the HD DVD of the Italian telecast is what balletomanes should be able to see, once the Arthaus disc is for sale. I also hope that Arthaus will 'retake' Raymonda's famous 'clapping solo' in Act III to remove that awful 'split-screen effect' with the piano on the right-hand side.

#25 Marcmomus

Marcmomus

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:08 AM

I'm with Natalia about You Tube. There's no question it allows us to see a huge range of material that is otherwise unavailable, but the YouTube experience is often more educational than pleasurable. I will admit there is nothing like the surge of delight when one stumbles across an unknown clip by a favorite dancer. However I have the kind of mind that seems to insist on reading the comments and often regret this because of the twits, the trolls, and the wholly unnecessary rudeness about essentially trivial matters of opinion. This can spoil any pleasure. A big HD screen, a Blu-ray disc or decent DVD, a favorite chair and a glass of wine is sheer bliss after a tough day. I often think how lucky I am that this is attainable.

#26 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,244 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:44 AM

I also hope that Arthaus will 'retake' Raymonda's famous 'clapping solo' in Act III to remove that awful 'split-screen effect' with the piano on the right-hand side.

OMG, yes, Natasha...THAT was annoying..! Posted Image

#27 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:59 AM

I wonder if the La Scala Raymonda was filmed by the same person who filmed La Scala's recent Aida and Tristan und Isolde (both on dvd). That was Patrizia Carmine. She would show shots of a light while Waltraud Meier is singing a pivotal moment in Tristan und Isolde. Why did she think we want to sit there and watch a lamp while Meier is singing???? Another time I think she focuses on Meier's costume instead of the face. In Aida she kept focusing on all sorts of inanimate objects. Really shocking choices during filming or editing, in my opinion. It made me so mad in both situations.

So I wonder if she filmed the La Scala Raymonda. Maybe it is some sort of bizarre trend to take away focus on the exact thing people want to focus on in Italy. I have no idea, but it is a big flop to do things like that!!!

#28 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,202 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:43 AM

I would never compare the quality of a broadcast or DVD to YouTube, but if I wanted a sense of the production and to not base my decision on what others have said before I invested in a DVD, I wouldn't dismiss YouTube out of hand.

#29 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,396 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:45 AM

....I believe there is a DVD of the Paris Opera Ballet (Mezzo) with Marie Agnes Gilot., which is a Nureyev re-staging, ....t there are some clips on YouTube. I think it was released in the last few years, whereas the others are much older. ....

This has never been released commercially although many folks have copies from French friends who DVR'ed it the couple of times that it aired on French TV. Dorothee Gilbert writes about this on her website:

http://www.dorothee-...a-on-mezzo.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):