This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Alicia Alonso in 1957 "Coppelia" clip

Coppélia was one of the first titles chosen by Mme. Alonso for the Cuban National Ballet's repertoire. Leon Fokine staged a

version after Petipa for the company, which starred her and Igor Youskevitch. This Coppélia premiered on December 28, 1948, at the Teatro Auditorium, which is now the Amadeo Roldan Theater in Havana. In 1957, Mme. premiered her own version of Coppélia with her company at the Los Angeles Greek Theater. There she interpreted the role of Swanilda, and was partnered by Andre Eglevsky as Franz. For this new production, Mme. Alonso meticulously worked to recapture and protect original elements of Saint-Léon and Petipa. At the same time, she enriched the choreography with moments of great technical virtuosity, established classical demi-caractère (semi-character) style, and took great care of the narrative coherence of the plot. It's been reported by some accounts that his was the first time that in the US was staged the full-length choreography of this ballet (?), which Mme. alonso staged it, directed and danced it. This is also the current version of CNB. I hope you all enjoy this little gem...(and talk about sautees on pointe..!! :) )

However, Willam Christensen (SFB) staged the first full-length Coppelia in the United States in 1938.

...and not-to-forget the Ballet Russe with the incomparable pair of Danilova and Franklin many years before Alonso's version....... :)

Thanks Gina and Mel for the valuable info! I actually finished Danilova's autobiography, and saw her pics of the Ballet Russes production. Lovely endeed! :)

Willam Christensen (SFB) staged the first full-length Coppelia in the United States in 1938. First full-length Nutcracker, too... :huh:

True, and first Swan Lake also (1940)

My first teacher (Merriem Lanova) danced with Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo, and I grew up with her version of Coppelia (which closely resembled the Ballet Russe version). I am very partial to this ballet! The score is just so wonderful! The first role I ever danced was a little "seated doll" in Dr. Coppelius' workshop. I then moved on to "Chinese Doll", to Mazurka and Czardas, then Swanhilda's Friend, and finally (at 14) the Dawn variation. I just staged full length Coppelia for my ballet school last spring based mostly on my childhood memories of the ballet ( I was one of those little kids who knew everybody's role!)... :) P.S. Miss Lanova knew Alicia Alonso well...

I just found this info at the NYPL catalogue.

Performance film from Greek Theatre in Los Angeles, Aug. 7-11, 1957.

Staged by Alicia Alonso, based on the Fokine production for Ballet Alicia Alonso in 1948.

Set: Rita Glover. Cast: Alicia Alonso (Swanilda), Andre Eglevsky (Franz), Niels Bjørn Larsen (Dr. Coppelius); the Dolls are Don Robinson, Gene Marinaccio, Teri Robinson, David Hebel, Wally Green, Ian Bruce, Gloria Schneider, Donald Eryck; Patricia Uyemura (Dawn), Nancy Kilgas (Prayer), Lazlo Jilly and Jo Anne Miyamoto (in Mazurka), Marilyn Stevens (in Czardas); Swanilda's four friends are Beatriz Lismore, Martha Mahr, Patsy Norman, and Alicia Parham.

Contents CONTENTS.--Act I, complete.--Act II, lacking early mime scenes.--Act III, grand pas de deux abridged.

My first teacher (Merriem Lanova) danced with Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo, and I grew up with her version of Coppelia (which closely resembled the Ballet Russe version). I am very partial to this ballet! The score is just so wonderful! The first role I ever danced was a little "seated doll" in Dr. Coppelius' workshop. I then moved on to "Chinese Doll", to Mazurka and Czardas, then Swanhilda's Friend, and finally (at 14) the Dawn variation. I just staged full length Coppelia for my ballet school last spring based mostly on my childhood memories of the ballet ( I was one of those little kids who knew everybody's role!)... :wub: P.S. Miss Lanova knew Alicia Alonso well...

Very interesting what you said about Merriem Lanova. I taught a summer workshop for her school in San Francisco, I think around in 1974, and also staged a "La Bayadere" for her student group. I remember she wanted me to stay on as a regular teacher but I had other committments. She was very nice to me. I've often wondered what became of her and her company. I assume she has died but don't know under what circumstances.

If you know about her latter years I would like very much to know. Thanx.