This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Alina Cojocaru -- new Principal at RB

Terry

After her 2nd debut in Giselle this past weekend, Cojocaru (19 years old) was promoted to principal dancer. She's the youngest principal to be promoted since Bussell's promotion in 1989 (I think). Cojocaru's promotion reminds me of Guillem's promotion in 1984 when she was only 19!! Well, a new star has been born!! Congratulations Alina! I can't wait to see her in RB's US tour.

Great news, Terry! I remember seeing Ms. Cojocaru compete and win a medal (jr.-division gold, if memory serves) at the 1997 Moscow IBC. Just like another RB principal, Sylvie Guillem, who won the Gold at Varna many moons ago. Not to mention Zenaida Yanowsky...Chi Cao...Tamara Rojo...Miyako Yoshida...so many top-flight technical dancers with IBC medals under their belt, now at the two RB companies. Lucky English balletomanes! So...is it 'true' that IBC Medalists have more fun? ;)

Washington, DC will be in for quite a treat this June, when the RB comes with this pleiad of fabulous females(not to forget the male laureates at the RB; let's see...there's Johann Kobborg, 1994 Jackson Grand Prix...). :D

[ 04-18-2001: Message edited by: Jeannie ]

I saw Alina Cojocaru's second Giselle on Tuesday. There was no announcement of her promotion after the performance. I only heard it from a Royal Ballet dancer afterwards. There was quite a big crowd waiting at the stage door to greet Cojocaru. When she finally appeared with her father (on a visit to London from Romania) who was holding her bouquet of flowers, she seemed to take the great news of her promotion very calmly. She was really nice and spent some time speaking to her well-wishers, signing their programmes, and posing with some of them for photos.

[ 04-19-2001: Message edited by: Kevin Ng ]

Alina Cojocaru was in distinguished company last weekend. The President of Romania was in London, and Cojocaru was invited to a reception hosted by the Romanian embassy to meet the President. The embassy had also offered Cojocaru to organise a party for her to celebrate her promotion, but she modestly turned it down because she wanted to spend more time with her father who is visiting London.

[ 04-23-2001: Message edited by: Kevin Ng ]